Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bow tank

Bow tank 13 years 6 months ago #17885

I have a 17' 1966 Glasspar Citation that came with a 1965 100 horse Merc. I no longer have the motor. I'd like to install a 24 gallon bow tank.The boat currently has two 10 gallon tanks in the rear that jut out onto the deck area that are used for jumper type seats. I never use them and want to make more room in the boat. Would this work? Anyone know of any issues with steering with a bow tank? And if I did this what would be a good motor to use? I'm leaning towards a 4 stroke. I know they are heavier then tho old Merc I had, but would the weight of the fuel in the bow counterbalance the heavier motor?
Thanks for any help and info and tips..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Bow tank 13 years 6 months ago #17904

oldguy wrote:

I have a 17' 1966 Glasspar Citation that came with a 1965 100 horse Merc. I no longer have the motor. I'd like to install a 24 gallon bow tank.The boat currently has two 10 gallon tanks in the rear that jut out onto the deck area that are used for jumper type seats. I never use them and want to make more room in the boat. Would this work? Anyone know of any issues with steering with a bow tank? And if I did this what would be a good motor to use? I'm leaning towards a 4 stroke. I know they are heavier then tho old Merc I had, but would the weight of the fuel in the bow counterbalance the heavier motor?
Thanks for any help and info and tips..

Putting the fuel tank up front is a good idea to a point and that being how much to put up front.

Putting to much fuel up front will make the motor work harder to get and keep boat on plane.
It takes very little weight to bring the bow down and fuel weighs appox. 10lbs a gallon.
I understand your wants and I agree it seems to be a waist of good space but on a V boat it is what it is.
It's a great place to store life jackets

Re:Bow tank 13 years 6 months ago #17912

I agree - unless the boat is actually designed with the weight in consideration, it can really hammer your performance. Once on plane you want less boat in the water for best efficiency. Having a couple hundred pounds of fuel in the bow isn't going to help that...
- Scott

Re:Bow tank 13 years 6 months ago #17922

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Depends on the API gravity of the gasoline, which varies by grade and refinery. Usually, regular unleaded gasoline has a gravity of around 58 and a weight per gallon of 6.216 pounds per gallon. Premium gasoline may have a gravity of 54, or 6.350 pounds per gallon.

24 gallons would still be a lot....I would recommend more like a 12 gallon tank...Lund boats actually fit there tanks in the floor the length of the boat for a better weight /balance

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)