Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action!

Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17869

Had a good day out on the Hudson today. Here's some pics and videos of Brian in the first test of his restored 18DC.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17876

great video's frank..or should i say gail. hey that river looks familiar.lol

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17877

Awesome! Glad to finally see it cuttin' a rug.. Really looks nice. I've always wanted to find one of those. Thanks for sharing!

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17878

Congratulations Brian I know that the boat has been a lot of work. I wish that I could crank out the boats like Brian. I either run out of time & money, or I get distracted. Brian is disciplined & seems to finish what he takes on. Impressive looking boat & it looks nice & stable. Twin Lark 40s?? Cool choice. What is the speed?

& thanks for posting the info frank.

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17894

vuyosevich wrote:

great video's frank..or should i say gail. hey that river looks familiar.lol

Gregg took those videos Ron, I took the pics. We brought both digital cameras, the snapshot and video ones. Gregg did the video, I snapped pics.

Bruce, we took my gps along too. Brian got to 30, but with the tide and current, that could be off + or - 4.

Frank

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17895

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Absolutely beautiful, Brian. Having followed these projects and watching as they come back to life in full glory, I can only imagine the pride felt when the ultimate goal is realized. To finish two in one season, wow. The folks along the Hudson got quite a treat seeing TWO PC's flying up the river!

A hearty congratulations to everyone who saw their project through to completion this year. As Bruce stated, the tenacity and fortitude required to accomplish the ultimate goal is a rare and wonderful thing. You ladies and gentlemen are an inspiration to us all.

Thanks for sharing your trials and tribulations.

Good job Frank, glad you were there to share it with us.

Mark

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17897

Hard to tell the speed. We should have done a GPS going south (did that and got 30) and another going north (didn't do that) and then taken the average. LOL...doesn't matter, as it's not a speed boat. But I now have one that won't spill a gin and tonic when at speed over waves. :ohmy: I took the boat at WOT through turns and it stays perfectly flat through them. It's an amazing design. No tripping, no nothing, just flat smooth turn. Lots of water out the tunnel. I'm thinking with a little more hp I could get more air under the hull. A pair of 70-90 hp I think would be perfect for this. But for crusing around the 1000 Islands, there is nothing better than a pair of these old John-Rude 35-40 hp. You can go all day on less than 6 gallons for each motor if you keep it at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Can't do that with the big ole Merc 1350!

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17901

brian,you never disappoint,every restoration you do is absolutly beautiful,and im glad to see it running great,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17906

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Boat lookse great! what part of the hudson were you on south of Revena? Was absolutely beutifull out there sunday morning!

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17908

We launch at the Henry Hudson Park in the Town of Bethlehem. It is by far the best boat launch around. We were out around 2'ish.

Where do you live?

Frank

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17913

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thats where I go with the runabout I was down at Coymans taking my fathers Bayliner Victoria out of the water. I live up in Berne. Almost came down with the runabout but was getting cold and windy by the time I got up to berne so I didnt come out.

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17914

You're just a bit west of us. Brian and I live in Coeymans Hollow, I forget the name of his road, but we're on Bushendorf. What kind of runabout do you have?

Frank

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17915

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Its a 1960 Wagemaker, nothing beutifull but it goes ok... really need to clean up the windscreen this winter. I have a 1970 Mercury 500 on it. not meaning to hijack the thread....

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17953

I was spinning 3 blade props. Next time out I'll switch to the 4 blades I ran on the Cruisers, Inc. and try those. Will have time Saturday to play with the Missile and the Power Cat. Time for prop and pin testing.

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17954

If your windscreen is plexiglass, use the method John Gambill published here. Simple Turtle products and elbow grease make a huge difference.

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17955

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I think it will do the trick! that's a great looking boat!

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17965

crosbyboat wrote:

I was spinning 3 blade props. Next time out I'll switch to the 4 blades I ran on the Cruisers, Inc. and try those. Will have time Saturday to play with the Missile and the Power Cat. Time for prop and pin testing.

Ya know B, I forgot to ask about rpm at WOT. Do you have tachs, or how do you know when you're at recommended max rpm? If you don't have a gps, let me know and you could borrow ours. I'm not sure if we'll be out this weekend, but twist my arm. :) Looks right now like Saturday would be best (Thursday Night through Saturday Night: Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 30s. Highs in the lower 50s), but the little woman may have plans.

Frank

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17967

Planning on playing Sat AM into early afternoon. Joan leaving around 10. Want to bring some tools for the PC and adjust the idle on the carbs, throttle linkages, etc. Will probably lay it up after this as I'll be in Norfolk, VA all next week, and then it's November. Then go get the Missile and test some pin holes. I put the pin you gave me in the lowest position and will work up to see if I can get the bow up a little. With these flatbottoms it may not be possible. I can feel I'm pushing more water than I'd like though. If I can't, it is what it is and I'm a happy man. Will lay that up at the end of the day. If you can't make it, would love to borrow the GPS.

Plan to strip the finish paint off the Missile, glass the exterior and then repaint it before lauching next season. Will also add skid fins. Trying to dock this beast and turn it at speed without them is not easy. Hey, it's a plan. Will also add stainless rub rail. The wood joint at the covering board is too susceptible to dings. And I have them to prove it!

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17969

Looks good. Were do you guys find all this flat water?

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17973

Don't be fooled. It's flat water some of the time until a big boat or ship goes by, or worse yet a barge being pushed by a tug. When that happens it sets up a short frequency series of waves perpendicular to the shore that go on and on and on like the EverReady bunny. Great for "catching air" but bad for my back...

Frank

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17974

The 18DC looks beautiful Brian. Nice job. I remember seeing it laying in the weeds on Long Pond! You were the right guy for that boat that's for dam sure! Congratulations! TH

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #17976

thetudor wrote:

Looks good. Were do you guys find all this flat water?

todd, its the hudson river in bethlehem,n.y.(Henry Hudson Park)i was there 2 weeks ago and frank took my new profile pic. ron
Attachments:

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #18012

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Nice boat ... You do excellent work ..Ive never seen one of those before and I love that cruiser style ..Dang it now I want one ...L.O.L...I bet thier pretty Rare ..

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #18013

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I would like to see all of you guys' boats on the reservoir I run on.
It is called Dworshak Reservoir. It is on average 2 miles wide and it is 50 miles long. There are lots of coves with flat water even on a bad windy day. Out in the middle it can get choppy, but not that bad. At 50 miles long a guy can let 'er stretch 'er legs.
At the 15 mile marker, there is a huge bridge that crosses the reservoir. There is not much traffic above there. Just a few fisherman, and an occasional houseboat. Not much wake to contend with. Lots and lots of campgrounds that are boat access only.
The best part of the whole thing is that there is only cell service in the first 6 to 7 miles. :)
Like I say, I wish you folks could enjoy it also.
Neil

Didn't mean to hijack here, I was just reading about the wakes and the ships and barges and the tugs. Sorry if I intruded. Just sharing. Your boats would just look great out there.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Dworshak Reservoir 13 years 6 months ago #18015

I take it you're talking about Idaho?!? that would be a bit of a haul for Brian and me. To make it even worse, we'd have to take two vehicles, couldn't even ride together! Actually I used to live in Pullman, Washington and while I didn't have a boat, spent a good amount of time trout fishing in Idaho's Bitterrootb Mountains.

There are plenty of lakes up north (Adirondacks), just not close. I used to live and boat on the Lake St. Lawrence, a lake similar to Dworshak Reservoir, but with a shipping channel like the Hudson. The thing was, you could always get away from the shipping channel and hide from wake waves of any kind.

Things could be worse.

Frank

Attention THall! 13 years 6 months ago #18048

Hi! Do you know the owners name? I have the bill of sale but cannot begin to make out a name. I promised a photo when it was done.

Re:Brian Lawson's Power Cat 18DC in action! 13 years 6 months ago #18053

looks way cool with the twins

Re:Attention THall! 13 years 6 months ago #18059

No, I don't have his name any more. Sorry. I carried it around with me in my wallet for a while, but I tossed it after I saw pictures of your boat posted here. TH :(

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)