Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Free Boat if I can get it unstuck ..

Free Boat if I can get it unstuck .. 13 years 6 months ago #17836

• bobo
  • bobo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
A fellow gave me a nice old deck boat if I move it real fast ..Problem is the out drive is stuck in the down position and I know there aint no way Ill get it out of his yard or home with it hanging low ..The out drive is a 1978 OMC with it looks like a 2.5 Chevy 4cly engine ..A friend told me he thought they called them stringers ..We checked a bunch of stuff and I think the electric motor is shot .. Is there away to disengage something so I can pick it up by hand ?? Need some help because the junk man cometh soon .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Free Boat if I can get it unstuck .. 13 years 6 months ago #17837

look at the back of the boat at the outdrive....left side of outdrive you will see a circular gear plate if I recall there are 3 9/16 bolts ....remove the bolts drop the gear plate lift the outdrive, replace the gear plate rotated slightly to keep the outdrive in the up position and bolt the gear plate back in place...usually its the electric tilt motors on omc are the issue

Re:Free Boat if I can get it unstuck .. 13 years 6 months ago #17838

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks Mad Props ...Ill run over in the morning and see if I cant get it home ...

Re:Free Boat if I can get it unstuck .. 13 years 6 months ago #17856

Another option... If you have access to a car trailer, winch the boat and trailer up onto the car hauler and tow it that way so the lower unit won't be an issue. Good luck!
Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Free Boat if I can get it unstuck .. 13 years 6 months ago #17860

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well thanks guys ..I got it home and threw some gas in it ..i primed the carb and hit the key . It started right up . I only ran it a couple of seconds . I went and put the Muffs on her for water Hopped up in her and it fired right up and sounded good ..I looked at the motor and water was squirting out the left side in the motor under the intake ..I shut her down and started looking or more like feeling ..Way down in never never land under the intake they had a small pipe coming out of the drain on the block with a petcock on the end of the tube ..It has either rusted or not snapped off at the block ..CRAP !!!!!! By the feel of it you wouldnt be able to get anything on it to extract the broken part in the block ..Ya cant even see it right now ..How can a Guy plug that or remove the piece without major surgery ..??? Only way I see is either pulling the motor Or maybe yanking the intake and exhaust to get at it .. Even with intake off it doesnt feel like much room down there ..Ild just like to do a quick fix to see it the motor isnt cracked or messed upand the stearn drive is good before I put a bunch of time and money into it .. Ideas ??? I thought of putting some of that Epoxy putty that you Kneed together in the hole .. Anybody ever used that on a Block ?? Other Ideas Welcome .. By the Way its a 2.5 Chevy 4cyl..

Re:Free Boat if I can get it unstuck .. 13 years 6 months ago #17879

If you can get the mainfold bolts off without breaking them - that may be best. If a petcock or plug is actually broken leaving an opening, a short tap and a Crescent wrench could be used to make some thereads inside the broken part. Then thread a stubby bolt inthere that has been gooped up with silicone. If you really wanto to go Hillbilly, I have seen people hammer a little hardwood plug into a block opening & they actually can hold very well. That engine only has a few pounds water pressure at best.

Hope this helps.

Re:Free Boat if I can get it unstuck .. 13 years 6 months ago #17882

• clbolt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
You need to pull the manifolds. Soak the bolts/ studs well and take your time. Once the manifolds are off (and anything else you can remove to gain access), you can drill out the broken tube. What you want is the proper size drill it you'd be using if you were tapping the same size threads already there for the drain tube. Oil the bit well and make sure you drill straight, and it should be a fairly easy job. Then use a tap to clean up the original threads in the block.

"...And to see you're really only very small
and life flows on within you and without you..." George Harrison

Re:Free Boat if I can get it unstuck .. 13 years 6 months ago #18011

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well I did some poking around .. Seeing Im not sure if the stearn drive was good I didnt want to put a ton of money or time into it ..Years ago I used some of that JB Weld Epoxy stick stuff on a water pipe ..It held on there for over 10 years now ..I read up on this stuff and its good up to 500 degrees and can even be stuck on when wet ..A friend of mine said he patched his gas tank in his car while it was still dripping and its still holding after 2 years ..This is the stuff in a stick that you knead together to mix it.. Not the 2 part tube stuff .. Seeing this is a low preasure and probaully relativly low temp system I thought its got a good chance of working ..At least if it works awhile I can see how rest of the boat is ..
I put some on last night . I packed it into the hole real well and then formed a crown over the outside of the hole ..It was Rock hard in less than an hour but I let it sit over night ..Today I put her on the muffs and let her run for a 1/2 hour ..Not a drip drop or a seep ...We took her to the lake and ran her for almost 2 hours .. Kept checking it and never a drop from her ..Motor ran OK except for the choke is goofy ..Likes to come on for no reason ..I think that Bimetal spring might be broken or something ..If Im running fast it stays open but to slow it drops the choke plate part way and loads the motor up ..We Wired it open for a temp fix ..
Ive never driven one of these before ..It sure wouldnt keep up with My Glastron CV16 ...L.O.L..I can see where it might be fun to take Grand Ma to the lake on .. Or you could put a ton of kids on it and do some tubing .It Handles like the Titanic ...L.O.L... Now I just gotta figure out how to drain the Block ..Was thinking maybe Knock one of the frost plugs out then put in one of those rubber ones that have the nut that you tighten to keep it in ..I could pull that plug to get the water out then Put it back in and fill the block from the top hoses with anti freaze or RV stuff ..Theres suppose to be a drain plug for the Manifold ...Anybody know where that is on a 4 cyl OMC ..?? Im new to I/Os to .. Is there any other thing Ild have to drain for winter ??

Re:Free Boat if I can get it unstuck .. 13 years 6 months ago #18023

For that Petcock, you can always use an "Easy out". just squirt some PB Blaster on the broken petcock and let it set for several minutes, then select the size "easy out" just smaller than the diameter of the whole in the broken petcock, give the easy out just a couple small taps (if you can reach it) to "set" it into the whole slightly, then latch onto the easy out with a crescent wrench or some other tool of choice and spin it out using a counter-clockwise rotation. They always work for me.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)