Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wanted: WI Boat restoration shop

Wanted: WI Boat restoration shop 13 years 6 months ago #17600

I'm looking to have my 14' 1959 glasspar sport lido refinished this winter. I'm in wisconsin and am looking for a place to have it redone. It primarily needs interior (I have hardware and old wood from seats for templates). It also needs the hull cleaned up (nicks, scratches, old motor holes, etc). A little floor work as wood is showing through in a few small spots. (not likely to need a new floor) new rubrail and other misc touchups. No engine work needed.

Looking for a nice reasonable restoration. It doesn't have to be "minty" when done but should look nice for a fair price.

Maybe a travel/storage cover made.

Anyone have some experience or recommendations for places in Wisconsin? I'm in Madison but willing to travel about 4+ hours to get it done.

Also considering doing the trailer I want to move this to. (a 1960 gator)

Thanks,
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Wanted: WI Boat restoration shop 13 years 6 months ago #17611

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
what part of Wisconsin?

I believe if you look under Janesville or Madison on Craigslist there is a listing for upholstery....

if i get time I'll post it up....just go under the those cities...boats...type in interior, seats, upholstery...should be able to pull it up.

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re: Wanted: WI Boat restoration shop 13 years 6 months ago #17657

Hello Dave,

I'm also in the Madison area. I do most of my own paint and body work so can't help much there. I do know there is a fiberglass/boat shop in Whitewater. There is a shop in Milton WI that does custom covers. Upholstery is not much problem, most anyplace can do a good job on basic boat seats. Ace Upholstery on the east side of Madison is reasonable and has done good for me in the past on some car work. There is also a small upholstery shop in downtown Edgerton that I'm going to try out someday. The trailer is easy to do yourself. Take absolutely everything apart. Take the parts to Motorsports powder coating in Delavan WI. They did my last trailer for $450. Sandblasted, coated the color of my choice. Another $100 or so in Stainless steel hardware and new rollers and you have a brand new looking trailer that will last for years.

Re:Wanted: WI Boat restoration shop 13 years 6 months ago #17687

He's in Madison. Says right in his text.

Does Inland Boat on the Yahara River just north of the Beltline do glass work????

Andreas

Re:Wanted: WI Boat restoration shop 13 years 6 months ago #17735

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
oh; I see that now thanks for pointing that out.

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:Wanted: WI Boat restoration shop 13 years 6 months ago #17741

thanks for all the tips so far. I've found some by googling and was looking for other recommendations before talking to the ones I found. I know of the one in whitewater. (no experience tho) thanks also for the interior places I'm actually on the eastside of Madison.

Here is what I found so far: (haven't talked to anyone yet...) (kind of in order of my gut feel based on web presence but more due diligence is needed)
www.imperialboatrepair.com/
www.alsprofiberglass.com/
www.fountainofyouthforboats.com/
E & B Boat Restoration LLC (Oshkosh, WI)
Jechort's Wood Boat Works
advantagecollisionwi.com/

Any feedback on these places?

Anyone know where Greg Anderson (gdanderson) had his done? (I send an IM but no reply) I found this in the forums search. www.fiberglassics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2833

thanks,
Dave

Re:Wanted: WI Boat restoration shop 13 years 6 months ago #17742

Imperial is in my back yard. I have not had any work done by them but have stopped into their shop. They have been helpful and seem very knowledgeable about fiberglass work. The shop has been there awhile and is always well kept and in neat order. They appear to be busy and some of the finished work that I have seen has been excellent. I don't know them but thought I should put in my 2cents worth.

Re:Wanted: WI Boat restoration shop 13 years 6 months ago #17756

I don't think that Dwight Jechort will work on a fiberglass hull.

Andreas

Re:Wanted: WI Boat restoration shop 13 years 6 months ago #17787

I haven't seen Dwight in 10 or more years. He had moved to the south side of Main St from the building just across the street.

I used to loiter periodically when he was on the north side next to the Fin 'N Feather. That was back when he was married to Jackie.

I too never saw any fiberglass work being performed there.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)