TOPIC: Redesigning a classic

Redesigning a classic 13 years 7 months ago #17019

• THawk Sr
  • THawk Sr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Good day to all

I am in the early stage of restoration of my Thunderhawk which will entails the removal of the transom and core of the boat.

For some time now I find myself looking at the boat and wondering should I rebuild it to what it was originally or do I make a change that would enhance the enjoyment I would get out of this boat than if I was to leave it original.

I am not talking about major changes but for instance.

1- The floor of my Thunderhawk is not the flat type but curved. Kind of like standing on a hill.
2- Removing the rear bench seat all together but make pedestal boxes which could be filled with floatation and have a swivel seat on top. These pedestals would be mounted farther a head so it would be like sitting up at the bar.
I do a lot of lake trolling.
3- Lowering the walk thru.

What are your thoughts?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Redesigning a classic 13 years 7 months ago #17035

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Will this be your only boat? Having one for fishing and a 'glassic for fun would be better, but if this will be your only boat, by all means make it your creation. You only need to make yourself happy with the results. That said, if you modify, yes to the flat floor. As to the rest, why not close off the seat backs, fill them with foam, and build rear facing seats for trolling, skiing, etc?

Re:Redesigning a classic 13 years 7 months ago #17055

put bottle storage in the backs of the seats so it will be like sitting at a bar! I have a neighbor that is putting a wet bar in his aluminum cadillac.

Re:Redesigning a classic 13 years 7 months ago #17062

if you bought it,its your boat,i change things,my cutter jet de ville will have as much orginal hardware as i can find,but im totaly redoing the interior so no fiberglass shows,and im also painting it to match my seats.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Redesigning a classic 13 years 7 months ago #17108

• THawk Sr
  • THawk Sr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
john-gibson wrote:

if you bought it,its your boat,i change things,my cutter jet de ville will have as much orginal hardware as i can find,but im totaly redoing the interior so no fiberglass shows,and im also painting it to match my seats.

She is all mine right up to the point it is completed. Then it will magically transform from mine to ours and to what we did.

After several cold pops along with getting some seat time on the boat while parked in the garage. I have decided that the Larson boys built a great boat but unfortunately they were not thinking of me when they built it.
A short 55 year old with a big belly so it comes down to one of us has to compromise. I doubt I will be growing any taller and the belly , well it will grow.

So it looks like the boat gets it.

Re:Redesigning a classic 13 years 7 months ago #17116

lol,im going to have to do the same thing,i have a big belly too,lol.good luck and keep the pics coming,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Redesigning a classic 13 years 6 months ago #18056

You know MY feelings on the matter John; I'm a street rodder. Modify it the way YOU want it. Ypou don't need to answer to anyone regarding anything you do to YOUR boat!

Blest boater

Re:Redesigning a classic 13 years 6 months ago #18060

ditto....

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)