• Page:

TOPIC: home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer

home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16898

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
we got home with the cutter,its full of leaves and beer cans,lol,its not too bad of shape,but it was brush painted,lots of sanding ahead.
it has a sterring wheel that says volrath viking?never heard of it before,any info?
it also has a trailer wit roller bunks,and coil springs,i have never seen it either,what is it?lol.
it has mercury controls,are they original 1959 controls?
this little 14 foot boat is rated for 70 hp.
heres some pics,it will take awhile to download them,im on dialup,any help will be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16899

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Glad you got her home okay John, looks like you may have a Holsclaw trailer there.?

Mark

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16902

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks mark,do you think its the original,1959 trailer,i need to know to register it,it had no papers.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16903

john, when i went to register mine it had no number anywhere on the frame. they told me it had to have a # to register it. i found a # on the tongue, probably a part number so i used that.lol 70 hp should move that along nicely. hey tim... ron

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16904

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks ron,i have my work cut out for me,but ill just take my time,i cant do it any other way,lol.
im headed out to take pics of the front,what bums me out is the bow light is missing,does anyone know where i can find one?it looks like this
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16905

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
oooppps i forgot the pic of the controls,lol
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16906

Volrath of Sheboygan, WI area made steering wheels and other boating accessories.

Andreas

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16907

Glad you got home okay John. I'm pretty sure it is a Holsclaw trailer.

Frank

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16910

John, A desirable wheel and you don't see too many around. You are fortunate to have the centrecap. First available from 1960. Worth repairing.
Ken.
Attachments:

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16912

John,
I say Holsclaw as well. The bow stop on the winch, fenders and dual coil spring suspension are the clues. Haven't ever come across that bow light before. Great looking project.
Paul

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16919

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
boy thanks everybody!!!im learning alot about this boat already,and i thought i had a clue about these old boats,lol,i have found out thanks to you all that i have a holsclaw trailer,and that i need VOLLRATH hardware especially the bow light,its stainless steel,thanks everyone,its also missing the middle cleat on the front and 2 on the back,if anybody knows of any please let me know,john,like the ones on jags boat.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16920

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ken,does that make this jet de ville a 1960 model?

---Mark Twain

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16921

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
wow,guys im starting to get a little excited,maybe ill finally have a decent classic finned boat of my own,lol

---Mark Twain

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16930

I don't know John. The wheel may have been available before 1960.It did appear on a 1961 G3 brochure plus I have a 1960 Volrath advert somewhere which shows it - but I can't quickly find the ad. If I find it I will post a scan.
I was thrilled to get my wheel a couple of years ago (eBay) and a kind person emailed the seller to ask if I wanted the centrecap. Ha! What a question!?!
I have seen several boat sites & custom car sites where people admire this wheel. I think the style may have been influenced by the wheel on the Citroen DS of the mid 50s. Whatever, I love it and I haven't seen many in photos as I explore.

You sure have a good project there and I will watch progress with interest.
Ken
Attachments:

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16932

Hi Guys,
Just to ad some more info to this thread, I have a similar wheel (could possibly be the same) - it is made entirely out of aluminium, but does not have the badge on the top of the wheel or the flat for it, like the image downunder posted.
Mine also has a "Bellboy" centre cap. Incidentally all of the 1959 Bellboy Banshee's I have spotted in Australia have this steering wheel as standard on them, would it be the same one, and used by Bellboy for these boats????

Matt

Restoration project - 1959 Bellboy Banshee with 1960 Evinrude Starflite 75hp

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16933

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
John, when I bought my 58 Cutter Tornado from the original owner it was sitting on a 60 Holsclaw and fitted with a 62 Merc 700 FGS. I believe many of the more "frugal" shoppers even back in those days struck a deal on equipment that had been sitting around the boat dealer's lot or shop a while. While I'm sure there were some boats rigged and ready for the water prior to being sold, many were assembled according to what the customer preferred at the time of sale. ie: Not uncommon to find a variance of a few years in the boat/trailer/motor/fitments.

Matt - I know of several reports where the boat company put their badge/logo on the steering wheel, in one case they even stuck it right over the original manufacturer's. I guess they did it to "dress it up" a bit. Nice touch, IMO. ;) Most likely the same wheel, or a variation thereof.

Mark

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16936

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you ken,and by the way,its nice to meet you.ill start a post of the progress of its restoration soon.im sure going to try to restore the wheel,my biggest cobcern is the clear part over the badge,can i separate the clear part,(its crazed) from the badge part,and then make a new clear one?
banshhe,cool do you have any pics?
thanks mark,it has the mercury controls,i wonder wht year they are,im pretty sure the boat is a 59.
as for the hardware its all VOLLRATH as far as i can find,the young guy i had bought it from started to seell parts from it,i wish i had that hardware.

---Mark Twain

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16949

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John, a quick call to the PA fish commish with those registration numbers will net you the info of what it was registered as. May not be the actual year, as we know it could be a '59 that wasn't titled until 1961. But at least you'll have something. [thats the way I found the manufactureer and year of one of my boats].

As for the trailer, without ID numbers, you can register it as "homebuilt" in PA, fairly easily. [Our local tractor supply store sells all the components to make your own trailer, as does northern, and many others.] Of course, If you want to register it as holesclaw, I'm sure others here will clue you in to the model and where ID may be stamped.

As for the boat, I love the lines. Have you decided how "true" you want the resto to be, because obviosuly, you can find all types of cleats that would look alright, even if not correct. That bow light, however, looks too perfect to just settle for anything else.

I imagine you didn't get much sleep with all the ideas running thru your head on how shes gonna look. Good luck! -jim

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16958

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks jim,and your right i dont sleep much.lol.
yep,im trying to get the same bowlight,it looks like it was made for the boat,eveything on the boat is in a V shape,the colors will be differnt(custom)to match the seats tht i ordered for the lido,now im going to put them in this boat.
yeah really wish i knew what model and year the trailer is.its pretty cool,i already switched out the bad 8 inch tires and wheels for 12 inchers.
both tires went flat on the way home,they are badly dry rotted.
i like bigger wheels anyhow,i had too many problems with 8 inchers.

---Mark Twain

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16961

john, 8 inch tires are terrible to traile with over long distances. i switched mine over to 12's also. a pair of finned mirrors would look handsome on that. ron

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16962

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yeah rom,i agree.
i wish i knew where i could get mirrors like that,if you look in the pics above it has a chrome mirror that i plan to polish out,it just needs 2 screws,its the original ski mirror.

---Mark Twain

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16964

john-gibson wrote:

how long is the forward throw on that remote? its definetly shorter than mine. that might be the kind i could mount on the side gunnel and wouldn't interfere with my dash.
Attachments:

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16965

john, i just emailed tim to see if he has your remote and if it will work on my 62-700. i'm tired of having to lean way down to advance the throttle. ron

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16966

Cool old boat i love finned boats. I think i am getting addicted to these things. I fund this guy that works on boats hire in SLC utah they say he has a lot of old parts a round. I am going over there this week and i will keep a look out fore your light.

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16971

JOhn, awesome boat! that looks great, can't wait to see it in the water next to my Lake N Sea next year! haha...

Any luck with Pat and the Lido? the evinrude he has on it would look great on your new toy.. cheers!

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16973

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ron,if this remote will work for you,you can have it,it doesnt have a key though,unless its in all the leaves at the bottom of the boat.
there is also a lever that you cant see,its behind the white lever.and it has a push in choke,thats the black botton at the rear of the remote,all the cables are still on it.i think the wires are too,its hard to tell untill i clean it out,lol.
brian ,cool that would be great,i really appreciate it,thank you.
andy,i would love to see our boats together,i cant wait.
as for pat and his lido,my computer wouldnt let me download it,i cant download email on this computer,you have to put it right in the email for me to see it.
heres some pics of the mirror i just put back together and buffed out,it was laying in the bottom of the boat,it has some minor pitting but not bad for 51 years old,lol.
in the one pic is the steering wheel center all cleaned up,and the round thing on the left ,i have no idea what its from,lol. i have to get shorter screws for the back of the mirror.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16974

vuyosevich wrote:

john, i just emailed tim to see if he has your remote and if it will work on my 62-700. i'm tired of having to lean way down to advance the throttle. ron

Ron, that is the same control box Tim put with my '63 1000. I painted it up so it looks different, but it's the same. It should work with your motor. Does the 700 have electric choke? The rear lever is for start/idle.

Frank

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16976

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ron,i was looking at a bow light this guy has,and i saw he also has the same control for sale on ebay,maybe he can get a key for this one,plus it shows how the plug end looks,and the idle start lever,the # is 200524845628,john

---Mark Twain

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16984

if you don't use it john i'll take it. got a return email from tim saying he has a dozen of them and they will work with slight modification. i'll have tim install it at silver next year. mine has the same push button electronic choke and seperate idle lever. mine is just too long to mount on the gunnel. ron

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16986

Not hard to find a key for those old merc boxes guys. You have Tim install it Ron, he'll have a key (or two), you'll be good as gold.

Got my motor starting again from the key. New solenoid.

See ya soon.

Frank

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16989

frank, i have the trim tab and mounting screws . need i bring anything else? ron

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #16991

You & Sue.

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #17063

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ron you can have the control,ill be taking it off in the next couple of days,i also went to smicksburg,pa(amish country here)and got you strawberry licorice ,so ill be sending those and 2 t shirts and another suprise for you and sue,john.ps everybody im still looking for that bow light,lol.

---Mark Twain

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 7 months ago #17065

john-gibson wrote:

ron you can have the control,ill be taking it off in the next couple of days,i also went to smicksburg,pa(amish country here)and got you strawberry licorice ,so ill be sending those and 2 t shirts and another suprise for you and sue,john.ps everybody im still looking for that bow light,lol.

geez john....christmas came early, thankyou ron

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 6 months ago #17650

Just in the middle of the moving but will get you the pictures of the Bell Boy Steering wheel in the start of November when I unpack the new house
Matt

Restoration project - 1959 Bellboy Banshee with 1960 Evinrude Starflite 75hp

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 6 months ago #17654

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks matt,i cant wait to see it.
ron i cant get a responce by emailing you,you said you didnt know if you needed these controls,please let me know if you still want them.john

---Mark Twain

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 6 months ago #17660

john, i'm not going to take a chance on the short handle. $30-$40 i would but not $80. yes i'll take your controls and if for some reason i don't use them i'll return them to you. for some reason theres a few people who have trouble emailing me. wish i could find out the problem. ron

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 6 months ago #17661

vuyosevich wrote:

for some reason theres a few people who have trouble emailing me. wish i could find out the problem. ron

It's yer attitude... :laugh:

Usually if it's other people having trouble, it's on their end. Is stuff going into your spam filter?

Frank

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 6 months ago #17662

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok ron do you want them painted?free of course

---Mark Twain

Re:home with the 59 jet de ville,and ???trailer 13 years 6 months ago #17663

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
vuyosevich wrote:

john-gibson wrote:

how long is the forward throw on that remote? its definetly shorter than mine. that might be the kind i could mount on the side gunnel and wouldn't interfere with my dash.

I have that set for my Merc 500 and the throw to wot is all the way forward past 90 deg... probably more 100 degrees in forward no idea in reverse.... may just be worn out but I have the Black version and its the same also. They are offset by an aluminum consol so they mount just below the gunnel and it works well.
www.fiberglassics.com/images/phocagallery/stashm2-wagemaker--2528/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_DSC_0459.JPG

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.369 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)