Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A little help needed

A little help needed 13 years 7 months ago #16475

Im working on a project hull right now and im wondering if i should continue with it. this 23' steury hull is a 1979 center console ex marine assist boat from the west coast. The glass hull looks in great shape...But.. on the transom which held a o/b had 3 ss 3/4 skrews in a line verticaly which were not holding anything. as i tapped the transom to listen for blisters in the glass, i found a dead spot. Its about 10" around. The transom has three boxes ahead of it with scuppers and and an box for infont of the o/b for controls and wiring. The marine grade ply that the skews where skewed into from the outside looked dry after dilling out the holes left by the skrews but the fiberglass was delaminated and holding water which drained out after removing the skrews. The transom is strong, i can bounce on a 4x4 wedged into the center box the center box to replicate a bouncing 200 hp without any separations at the seams or flex in the transom. i guess my question is can i inject epoxy into the void after drying it out, press it together and not have to worry about redoing the transom from inside. Any ideas would be appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:A little help needed 13 years 7 months ago #16528

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome to FG Stiller. We'd be better off seeing some pics of your project boat, but I'll be glad to give you my two cents worth on your question.

There is no "magic elixir" for fixing rotted wood. (Although there are a few products on the market that claim to do what you're asking.) The dull thud spot, glass delaminating, and the water draining from your transom when removing the screws indicate rot is most likely. It may seem solid now, but failure is inevitable. The only proper way to fix it is to replace the transom core. There is some excellent reference material in the Research/Restoration tab at the top of the screen. Whether or not it's worth fixing is up to you, but I would definitely recommend doing it the right way to avoid catastrophic failure.

Good luck with your project, let us know what you decide and post some pics if you get a chance.

Mark

Re:A little help needed 13 years 7 months ago #16532

Well, it looks like thats the plan of attack. I will post some pics of the progress, Thanks for the advice

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)