Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: fiberglass over stringers...how many layers?

fiberglass over stringers...how many layers? 13 years 7 months ago #16232

I put the third layer of fiberglass over the three new wood stringers last weekend and with the new 3/4" marine plywood floor all templated, cut out and fitted i was looking forward to installing it this weekend but am not sure if the stringers need any more glass on top of them. Since i am definitely a novice when it comes to fiberglass work i will admit that there are some small voids between the layers but is this acceptable? After coating the underside of the new plywood floor with polyester resin i plan to sit it on the stringers in a bed of 3M 5200 adhesive, fasten it down with stainless steel screws, cover the top with a layer of fiberglass cloth and tab it to the sides. Does this approach sound okay?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:fiberglass over stringers...how many layers? 13 years 7 months ago #16319

Thats pretty much exactly the procedure I used a few years back when restoring our '63 Elgin (since sold). I'll put a link to a photobucket album of pics of the boat, before and after pics. They're in no particular order, but you'll get the idea. There are a couple shots of the stringers right after the floor was removed; the original glassing was loose and brittle, and could literally be pulled off in big chunks by hand. Yet, the wood was in great shape, just needed a week or so of airing and drying out. I believe I used two layers of matt and polyester resin. Anyway, it all went back together nicely, despite my putting a almost invisible, 3" cut right through the hull while sawing out the original floor. OOPS! Took a while to figure out and locate the cut, which of course explained all that excess bilge water after lake trips. So a little extra repair was needed, patched from inside and out, and you'd never know it ever happened. All part of the fun and learning process. Good luck with your boat, sounds like you're on the right track.

smg.photobucket.com/albums/v480/bobcalhoun/Elgin%2015/

Re:fiberglass over stringers...how many layers? 13 years 7 months ago #16330

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I know, its alot to take in. Have you read this page under the restoration section? Here is a link. I too want to see something that is a simple quick step by step hold my hand get R done brief note, lol Mike

www.fiberglassics.com/restoration/page-2

Re:fiberglass over stringers...how many layers? 13 years 7 months ago #16401

thanks for the link to the restoration article, it was well worth the read! Also, Bob thank you for the link to your pictures....your boat is beautiful man! My wife and i were looking at the pictures and couldn't believe the similiarities between your Elgin and my Corvair. The recess in the middle of the dash is the same and the hull shape also looks a lot alike as well. Where did you get those great seat brackets? Were they original to the boat? When i got the Corvair the floor was just like you described yours to be in that it could be torn up by hand. The glass over the stringers was the same way too and the wood was so rotted that i had to fabricate new stringers.
i am looking forward to getting the floor squared away this weekend and appreciate the input!

Re:fiberglass over stringers...how many layers? 13 years 7 months ago #16421

Hello again, thanks, the little Elgin was a really fun project. I hated to sell it, but it went to a good home. These boats were made for Sears/Elgin by Arkansas Traveler, perhaps they sourced boats for Corvair too, or Corvair did a knockoff of their own.

The seat brackets were original equipment on the boat, actually aluminum. I had them bead blasted and powdercoated a semi gloss aluminum color. The gelcoat on deck and hull is original 1963 finish, heavily cleaned, wet sanded and buffed out. Lot of elbow grease and time but a lot cheaper than painting!

Continued good luck with your boat, and put up some pics if possible.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)