• Page:

TOPIC: Stripper for fiberglass?

Stripper for fiberglass? 13 years 7 months ago #15714

• Pappy
  • Pappy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Previous owner of a 13' Gheenoe I just bought painted the hull with Enamel purchased from Home Depot. Looks like he rolled it on with the heaviest nap roller he could find. More like heavy non-skid finish than anything else. Having a tough tough time removing it. Grinder with a scotch brite type pad just heats it up, melts it and pushed it around. 60 grit in a random orbital does the job but it is wayyyyy slow. Went to Lowes and read the labels on all the strippers and they all say no fiberglass. Any recommendations??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Stripper for fiberglass? 13 years 7 months ago #15717

this is what your looking for . you can order it from sherwin williams or get it on line . i've used it on my glastron and it worked very well .

www.backtonatureprod.com/Pages/marineaquastrip-PD.html

Re: Stripper for fiberglass? 13 years 7 months ago #15722

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
How about a "heat gun" and a scraper?

Re:Stripper for fiberglass? 13 years 7 months ago #15742

• boats
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
You should read the "Previously Painted Boats" section of the boat refinishing tutorial under the research/restoration tab. I think it'll cover any questions or problems

Re:Stripper for fiberglass? 13 years 7 months ago #15790

Not to discourage you but.... my Batboat was painted with some kind of latex and getting it all off was the worst thing in the world.

All I did this summer on the boat was repair holes, blisters and sand the paint down to the gel coat.

Stripper gets most of it off but I'll never work on another boat again that is painted with house paint. Not worth the work, money or physical pain, IMHO.

Leaving the stripper on for more than one minute will soften up the gel coat like puddy, also.

Here is my blog post regarding the paint.
batboat.blogspot.com/2010/05/stripping-paint-off-batboat-and-finding.html

I started taking the paint off in mid-April and am just applying the EasyPoxy marine paint this month. About 5 months.

Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

http://batboat.blogspot.com/

Re:Stripper for fiberglass? 13 years 7 months ago #15822

Darren the stripper you used is not for use on fiberglass , it contains methylene chloride which will turn gel-coat and polyester resin into runny goo . there is gel-coat and fiberglass safe paint remover sold at most good paint stores .

Re:Stripper for fiberglass? 13 years 7 months ago #15933

• Pappy
  • Pappy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Update. I read the posts and on Saturday I bought a product called "Soy Gel" distributed by Sherwin-Williams among others. This is a completely soy bean based product with almost no odor and will not harm gelcoat. Stripped the boat on Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon started sanding. Finished sanding yesterday evening and rolled my first coat of Petit Epoxy on last night. In Florida ya' gotta' paint when the humidity is low and thats almost never! Planning on 3 coats with sanding in-between each coat. The Petit settles beautifully and looks like it was shot with a spray gun.

Re:Stripper for fiberglass? 13 years 7 months ago #15965

Yea, that EasyPoxy stuff is great. I put my last coat of blue on the hull yesterday and am very happy with it.

Be sure to let that boat cure for at least the recommended 7 days. EasyPoxy is too soft to endure slight bumps and scrapes.
Attachments:

Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

http://batboat.blogspot.com/
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage