Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: motor advice for contender

motor advice for contender 13 years 7 months ago #15682

Hi, Have recently rescued a Glastron Contender half sunk from the lake here north of Kingston Ontario,Has been frozen in the thick ice for several years but not too much damage apart from soft transom.
The owner was kind enough to sell it to me for $100.I put in a couple of drain plugs towed it to the ramp an it was home in a few minutes.
Thanks to you guys I know how to fix the transom and dont forsee any problems. But I have a couple of questions I"m sure you can help me with.
Should I build the transom higher when i replace it to take newer motors. And, what is a sensible motor.
I have seen videos with motors up to 115 but that seems a little too much for my habits. However I would like to zip around speedily.
Its my first classic speedboat. There seems to be lots of reasonable fresh water used motors up here (I"m from Florida and first got hooked looking at the G3 at the Mt Dora show).
Thanks in advance for your wise advice, john Bartlett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:motor advice for contender 13 years 7 months ago #15685

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
CAPT J: WELCOME , CONGRATS on a desirable model . Had chased a few in the past , but never got my Glastron . I believe your model is the 14 ft size , with the Challenger to be the 16 ft.

. I use to go to Mt Dora almost every year & entered a center-deck G-3 in the 06 show .? Anyhow my #1 vote for motor combo would be a 3 cyl OMC , mid 1970 , rated 75 HP known as a "STINGER" this should be offered as a short shaft (?) if you do locate . Could keep the orig transom 16 1/2 Inch height. Some had a RED painted powerhead under the cowl , but I heard from owners a white powerhead is also found. A trim & tilt option is also very helpful. ..In the same family is the 70hp 3 cyl OMC. If you locate a long shaft for low $$'s , then raise the transom to 21 ".

. Again welcome , & post a picture when you can . My son in Maine knows on one sittin in a car race shop , but have not heard the price. Very nifty history being designed by Art Carlson. I think a MERC xs 850, might be a tad much, but another great mota to search for . Can always use on a ALLISON , sister rig if you also locate .

Re:motor advice for contender 13 years 7 months ago #15689

A "sensible" motor would be 75-90HP...probably push you along in the high 40's, low 50's.

But if you want to have a total ball in it, go big...100+ HP! I have a shorty 135 Merc that im aching to bolt on to a Contender!! :laugh:

As for building the transom or leaving it short...well, that depends on what you want for a motor. Short shafts can be tough to find and clean, running ones usually demand a premium over the long shaft counterparts...but you could always leave the 15" transom and run a long shaft with a jack plate and save yourself the conversion troubles.

Re:motor advice for contender 13 years 7 months ago #15698

I would go with a late 1970s on up Johnrude 3-cylinder 70 or 75hp. Reliable, good parts availability, great on gas, good performers, and you can dress it up as any Johnrude triple back to 1968 if you find a cowling to match. 1978 on up gives you reliable CD ignition and easily added power trim and tilt (if it doesn't already have it). My 1980 Johnson 75hp Stinger pushes my 15-foot Starcraft American to about 40mph with minimal performance set-up.

So you're north of K-town - I'm just across the River near Clayton, NY... We get over to the Limestone City a few times a year. Great town!

Re:motor advice for contender 13 years 7 months ago #15849

Thanks, Split, JerrfyLube and Chinewalker for the detailed advice on a Contender motor.
You pretty much all agreed a Stinger would be perfect.Sounds good to me. So a late 70's 3 cyl Jonrude around 70 will be my first choice. Sure a lot better selection of old stuff up here than down in Florida. Thanks again and will let you know when improvements are made. And thanks everybody for the inspiration, regards john

• Page:
Time to create page: 2.464 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)