• Page:

TOPIC: Ohio new member

Ohio new member 13 years 7 months ago #15251

• DaveK
  • DaveK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
No boat yet, but looking. I love a Wagemaker/Wolverine/Cadillac boat. Hopefully in the 15'-16' range, but that is not written in stone. I started looking for a good wood boat and I still am, but leaning toward an aluminum boat. I have a love affair with the '57-'58 Johnson or Evinrude. My Dad who is not computer literate, is just about done with his 1960 16' Lyman. We knew the boat since new, when it originaly had an Evinrude 35hp Lark on it, but he got the boat after the original owner put a '68 Evinrude '65hp V4. Dad has a love affair with the 3Cyl. OMC's, so there is a '72 Evinrude 65hp. getting ready to be set on it. My brother is doing a '58? 14' fiberglass Speediqueen(?). He got it with no motor, but a '63 Evinrude 40hp Lark is going on it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Ohio new member 13 years 7 months ago #15254

Dave, welcome aboard. I'm currently restoring a 1960 18' Wagemaker Clipper. The thread is on this site. You should be able to get one in Michigan or close to you since they were built in Grand Rapids Michigan. You can research the company on this site and it gives all the background on Wagemaker and when they bought Cadillac Boats out of Cadillac Michigan. Good luck with your search and there are plenty of good folks on here that can help you when needed.

Bob

Re:Ohio new member 13 years 7 months ago #15273

• DaveK
  • DaveK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, I am looking all over to find your restoration. I seem to have a problem maneuvering around this site. I am sure I figure it out in time. Had a '57 15' Wolverine back in '67. It came powered by a 30hp. Merc, but soon it decided to retire and we put a '57 Evinrude 35hp. on it. I just loved that boat. It was very rough riding on our rather large lake and in a tight turn, if not careful, she would trip on her bow and you would find yourself with the motor controls being jammed into your ribs. But when the water was smooth or nearly so, it was a wonderful boat. She could pull out of the water pretty easy going slalom, starting out with one ski. Of course at that time I was a little slimmer than I have been over the past 30yrs. LOL

I have found several boats. As always, some are very expensive, some I just didn't hear about till it was too late and some would be better, if they were just put out of their misery.

Just got home from the lake. We took Dad's Lyman out for the first time. Though it was white capping, it was still great to have her on the water. The 65hp V4 worked perfectly and the boat got many a looker as we launched her and took her out.

Found your restoration....beautiful!

Re:Ohio new member 13 years 7 months ago #15288

Dave,
Thanks, she's getting there. Hope to have her done very soon. I need to replace the windshield since it's plexi and yellowed and get the seat cushions done. I'll post more pics soon.

Hang in there on your search, Something will turn up, it always does. Checek Craigslist for your area and around southern michigan. Something should turn up.

Bob

Re:Ohio new member 13 years 7 months ago #15366

Searching Craigslist is a good tip. I frequently see Wagemakers listed for sale. I understand your appreciation of the '57 to '58 OMC products. Gotta love that chrome. On a whim, I ended up with two partially restored '57 Larks in pieces and one complete original '57 Big Twin.

I would like to see photos of your brother's Speed Queen. The 14' models are great boats. I have a 1960 17'6" Cruisette model. Check out the Speed Queen page in the Library section- I have located and added much of the Speed Queen literature there.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)