Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: man hours

man hours 13 years 7 months ago #15116

• JIM764
  • JIM764's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
there is a lot of information in the forums regarding materials, but being an average carpenter/painter/electrician and everthing else. how many hours should i expect to committ to a transom replacement. regrettably i have a collection of cars im working on that average 10 years in my garage.im not sure i want to tie up any more space for a new never get don project
thanks for your imput
jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:man hours 13 years 7 months ago #15117

That's a big question Jim. Depends on the boat, how easy it is to get at the transom, how dedicated you are to it. What kind of boat?

Frank

Re:man hours 13 years 7 months ago #15118

• JIM764
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
its a67 i cant think of the brand right now but its a typical deck boat of the era ive already gutted the seats and started tearing up the deck it has acapped rail that i didnt realise id have to remove to access the transom. the motors off and no gas tank. it has a motor well built into the cap.as far as dedicated well non of my cars are done but im only 60 !

Re:man hours 13 years 7 months ago #15119

I have around 8 man-hours (over a 2-day period) in my '67 MFG Transom. Lots of time waiting for fiberglass to harden etc..
It is a "poured" transom using Nidabond.

www.raylinrestoration.com/BoatStuff/MFG-Transom/index.htm

I have at least 3-times that in the transom replacement of the Fabuglas. But there was alot more "other" things that were transom-dependant. So I have over a week in it.

Depending on YOUR Boat's type of transom... it may be quick and easy- or a PITA.
Attachments:

Re:man hours 13 years 7 months ago #15121

• JIM764
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
did you cut out the well or take the whole cap off? im afraid to ask what apita is.

Re:man hours 13 years 7 months ago #15123

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
PITA = Pain in the @zz

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:man hours 13 years 7 months ago #15203

The MFG did not have a splashwell. But it does have a fiberglass bar across the back. I did not have to remove the deck to get at the inner skin of the transom. Splitting the boat would have made it easier- but not much, and the rest didn't need anything.

The Fabuglas had a wooden splashwell. The interior of the boat was completely gutted from the cabin bulkhead to the transom. This was to do the stringers, floor, splashwell, and rear bench seating area.

Re:man hours 13 years 7 months ago #15208

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Sounds like we have the same method of focus on projects. My Jeep j-10 body off frame rebuild took 8 or 9 years. However, sometimes I can sharpen my focus, as it seems you are wiling to do on the transom project. The way we work, it will take you about a week, give or take a week end. The rest depends on the tools you have at your disposal. I highly recommend one of those new sonic saws. Mine is a Dremel Multi-Max, other brand is sonic-crafter. I'm sure there are others. They can plunge cut into the fiberglass layer and then can be drawn along.

Re:man hours 13 years 7 months ago #15435

• JIM764
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
thanks for both the pics and the advice. i dont really know all the names for the boat parts. but i do have to replace both the stringers and the floor it was only 25 dollers with a 71 100 hp johnson that supposidly runs. but i didnt know how bad the main sringer was until i started to strip it,obviously this was supposed to be just a boat to fool around with and not a total rebuild. and naturaly as soon as i start on this a nice boat thats actually worth putting money
into shows up i have no idea how to get a pic out of my phone and into the computerbut i suupose i can learn. thanks again

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)