• Page:

TOPIC: The potential restoration of the 15' Bobcraft

The potential restoration of the 15' Bobcraft 13 years 7 months ago #14966

• mgbbob
  • mgbbob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I think I am about to get off into the deep end. I haven't exactly cleared this project with the chief financial officer of this household but so much for the details.

I am trying to brainstorm a plan of action. I think my first goal is to finish a complete cleaning of the boat and try to inspect the inside and outside of the hull. If everything looks good then I will get into the work end of things.

I think a good cover is the first step. I plan on removing the motor for inside work this winter. The boat will remain outside covered.

The priorities are;

Check hull
Motor repair/replacement
Seats
wiring
steering

Somewhere down the line I will worry about the exterior.

I am really confused about what to do with the motor. I have never rebuilt a marine motor. I have rebuilt numerous car motors and have all the equipment. I am a bit intimidated by the task. I am also considering trying to find a '65 vintage motor or upgrade to new. I just don't know

Help guys. Tell me if I am going the right direction.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:The potential restoration of the 15' Bobcraft 13 years 7 months ago #14970

The old adage "if it ain't broke" applies to many things, including outboard motors. You didn't mention what engine came with the boat though. Some are keepers, some are not. Ask around & you will quickly stir up a storm of opinions on what motor is the best. Just like car engines, everyone has a favorite. Decide if you like the looks & HP of the engine to justify fixing it, if it does not run. Many of the old motors just need a little TLC & a few tune up parts to get them going again. If the engine has internal problems, or is just in bad shape, get another one. They aren't difficult to find, once you start sniffing around. Take your time & a great one will become available. If you can wrench on a car, you can handle an outboard. Buy a manual (an old factory one off of eBay if possible) and familiarize yourself with the tune up procedures, etc. Some of the engines had a fairly complex set of adjustments on them, others were very simple. Obsolete parts can be found for many OMC and Merc engines, a little less for Chrysler, and even less for Scott/Mcolloch engines. Unless you have lakes and waterways that have banned 2 cycles, go with a cool old motor. If you have money to burn, buy a new one - it'll only cost you as much as a nice car.

Good luck & have fun.

BG

PS - after you make a posting, don't click the back arrow on your browser. If you do, it can make duplicate posts. You are better off clicking on the "forums" tab on the website & returning to the boards that way.

Re:The potential restoration of the 15' Bobcraft 13 years 7 months ago #14971

• mgbbob
  • mgbbob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I figured I did something wrong. I good stern lecture is probably forthcoming!

The motor is a 1971 85 HP. I swapped out the original 65 HP years ago. The boat is technically only rated for 75HP but I ran the 85 for years with no problem. Pull enough skiers in my youth to buy an oil refinery!

The motor is stuck. I will start with unsticking if possible and then go from there.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)