Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1964 sweet 16

1964 sweet 16 13 years 7 months ago #14716

• JIM764
  • JIM764's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
i am considering buying a cosmeticly good looking sweet 16 the question is it agood idea or am i just shooting myself in the foot?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1964 sweet 16 13 years 7 months ago #14725

• boats
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Do you like the boat? Is it a fair price to you? Those are the only real answers.

Other than that, have someone inspect the usual trouble spots in old boats, if you're not comfortable doing it yourself - is the transom solid? how bout the floor? is the motor working? is the windshield cracked? - that sort of thing

Then check back here with the results, people will be happy to point you in the right direction once they know a bit more about the boat

Re:1964 sweet 16 13 years 7 months ago #14731

• clbolt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
JIM764 wrote:

i am considering buying a cosmeticly good looking sweet 16 the question is it agood idea or am i just shooting myself in the foot?

Donzi or Evinrude?

"...And to see you're really only very small
and life flows on within you and without you..." George Harrison

Re:1964 sweet 16 13 years 7 months ago #14761

• JIM764
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
evinrude,the price 1500 the motor said to run but rough obviously im concerned about the rot but also the electric shift did they ever find a perminant fix for tha? and the parts for the outdrive are a question

Re:1964 sweet 16 13 years 7 months ago #14809

• clbolt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
That's a lot of money for a Sweet 16 that needs anything mechanically, unless it's near-new cosmetically.

"...And to see you're really only very small
and life flows on within you and without you..." George Harrison

Re:1964 sweet 16 13 years 7 months ago #14848

JIM764 wrote:

evinrude,the price 1500 the motor said to run but rough obviously im concerned about the rot but also the electric shift did they ever find a perminant fix for tha? and the parts for the outdrive are a question

The electric shift actually is a pretty reliable system. Just be sure to use type C oil & don't clobber anything.

Peter, where are you to help back me up on this? We are the only 2 on this board that would be caught dead with one or two or three...

Re:1964 sweet 16 13 years 7 months ago #15043

• JIM764
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
what is type c oil is there a reservoir in the case. also how do i identify the lower unit and do you know if the gasket in the transom is available

Re:1964 sweet 16 13 years 7 months ago #15075

JIM764 wrote:

what is type c oil is there a reservoir in the case. also how do i identify the lower unit and do you know if the gasket in the transom is available

Type C gear oil is the oil used on all elecric shift OMC motors. Using the wrong oil will cause problems that can seem weird & won't go away until the unit is reserviced.

As for a reservoir, you fill the unit from the bottom until it flows out the top level/vent plug. If we are dealing with an I/O, the upper housing has a dip stick for its quantity check.

You mention the "gasket in the transom". Are we dealing with an I/O and if so, are you refering to the big rubber transom seal? There were 3 different transom seals used. A picture or model number would be helpful.

Jim

Re:1964 sweet 16 13 years 7 months ago #15115

• JIM764
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
yes its the rubber gasket im talking about and yes its the 88 hp i/o version he said the boat had been taking on water while sitting at the dock so i suspect the rubber as havjng holes in it. is there any other likly culprits ? i guess i dont know how the pushbuttons connect to the actual transmission. whitch is why i asked about the oil.thanx
jim

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)