Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Who tows their glassic with a classic?

Who tows their glassic with a classic? 13 years 7 months ago #14678

• jim bart
  • jim bart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Just looking for a little input, here. I've always dreamed of towing my boat with a vintage wagon. Well, I was just wondering, what type of driveability issues I may face. Certainly good gears and brakes for the ramps. Certainly an engine rebuild with emphasis on towing power. What issues may come up? Additional engine cooling? Trans cooler?
I mean, in the sixties, our boats were towed by sixties cars, so they should be up to the task, if properly rebuilt and maintained?

And, on land, pulling into a car show with matching car and trailer: SWEET!

Although this auction ended, I think I could pick this up for about a grand I'm gonna take a look at it. I was hoping for a nova wagon, or mopar [dart, polara?] , but they all seem so overpirced. This rambler has a certain geeky cool factor:

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120614670705&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Who tows their glassic with a classic? 13 years 7 months ago #14683

As soon as I finish it...
I will be towing with "MUT"... short for My-Ugly-Truck. Hopefully, it will be a bit less ugly than when I bought it...

1960 Studebaker Champ Truck: 1963 Studebaker 289 cu in V8, 1957 McCulloch variable-ratio supercharger, Borg Warner t-89 3speed w/overdrive, 4:10 Twin Traction Dana model 44 rear axle..

Proposed color-scheme:

A bit further down the road is our (my wife's) 1966 Studebaker Sliding-Roof Wagonaire...
Attachments:

Re:Who tows their glassic with a classic? 13 years 7 months ago #14684

• jim bart
  • jim bart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Wagonaire's are awesome. Eyed up one a while back. Rare sight at car shows and much rarer driven on the road!

Re:Who tows their glassic with a classic? 13 years 7 months ago #14685

My wife drove our 1963 Sliding Roof Wagonaire every day from 1989-1995. When our son was born, she opted for a car with AC, better seat belts, and other creature comforts. She got a 1988 Merkur Scorpio!

This was back in the day I did cars in my driveway....

Re:Who tows their glassic with a classic? 13 years 7 months ago #14775

I really dig the "Surf N' Turf" scene! In the late `60's, friends had a Rambler wagon they used to pull their old ski boat...both pink.

Would love to see our Manta Ray pushin' a Stud Golden Hawk down the road....

...or a Hemi Chrysler 300

Wagons are toooo cooool tho.

Plans are to take the Manta Ray to Brazil. There are old american cars there. They also have options not available in the US. www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/nbr/truck-shopping

Re:Who tows their glassic with a classic? 13 years 7 months ago #14788

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Not to hijack the post but.....Have you ever ran a blower / supercharger before? Check out how much to LOWER your compression in your cylinders. If you dont you will blow the crankshaft out the bottom of the oil pan......trust me on this one.
Pete

Re:Who tows their glassic with a classic? 13 years 7 months ago #14796

Sorry...kinda got carried away.

Those cars back then, even small, had full frames and can pull a boat. The strait 6 will have more torque per hp that a V8. I got 300hp from a carbed 258ci AMC Jeep 6cyl with these parts (drum brakes) www.cliffordperformance.net/ Drum brakes have very strong grip...but they over heat quicker than disk and are more involved to replace. Larger drums or disks is never a bad move. Same with a trans cool...even if not "needed" will help extend life. Those cars also have good airflow with large grills...but again an elec fan will help. Basicly build your own tow package.

Your right wagon prices are really gone up...15 years ago there where alot of freebies.

Couple more cool wagons

Attachments:

Re:Who tows their glassic with a classic? 13 years 7 months ago #14797

jim bart wrote:

Although this auction ended, I think I could pick this up for about a grand I'm gonna take a look at it. I was hoping for a nova wagon, or mopar [dart, polara?] , but they all seem so overpirced. This rambler has a certain geeky cool factor:

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120614670705&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

We had a '63 in that color (or a bit lighter) when I was a youngun.

Frank

Re:Who tows their glassic with a classic? 13 years 7 months ago #14798

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I tow mine with a 65 ford pickup. Use to pull it to the beach about every year with the 65.
Attachments:

Re:Who tows their glassic with a classic? 13 years 7 months ago #14808

DelRay wrote:

Not to hijack the post but.....Have you ever ran a blower / supercharger before? Check out how much to LOWER your compression in your cylinders. If you dont you will blow the crankshaft out the bottom of the oil pan......trust me on this one.
Pete

Yes, I have..
My '61 Hawk has the same setup- except it blows a 4BBl Carter AFB instead of the 2BBL Stromberg WW in the pressure-box. My truck will be for towing and daily use.. so the 2bbl is fine. In fact, dyno shows better low-end torque with the 2BBL.
This setup is factory-equipment on the 1957-1958 Studebaker Golden Hawks, and some "special" R-Series Larks, Hawks, and Avanti's in '63 and '64.

Re:Who tows their glassic with a classic? 13 years 7 months ago #14810

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
MAN thats way too cool. Blower factory equipment seems like they were ahead of the times.

Re:Who tows their glassic with a classic? 13 years 7 months ago #14824

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
The Falls Flyer looks really nice behind the 67 Jeepster. (my avatar)
I have a 63 New Yorker Wagon (Town and Country) I used to pull my vintage Airstream, but the Chrysler is built for speed and had a poor gear ratio for pulling the load. It is now for sale. By itself it takes off like a friggin 3 ton ROCKET!!!

I like to pull the 1960 Larson Sea Lion with the 1960 Willys Wagon.

I know...Photos, When I get them hitched up again I'll take a few.

Re:Who tows their glassic with a classic? 13 years 7 months ago #14844

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Here is the one I think everybody has seen and Dels mini with his volksboat,can't find Don corvette and Herters,,Bill
Attachments:

Re:Who tows their glassic with a classic? 13 years 7 months ago #14852

Small world! My father loved Studebakers. I grew-up with them. Here is a picture of our 1963 Daytona (purchased new). We towed very extensively with it in our marine business. Prior to it, we had a 1955 (also purchased new). Here is a picture of it when we picked-up two new boats at the factory. We also had a few sedans before and between them. After Studebaker closed, we next purchased a Plymouth Fury wagon (we still have it today), and it too towed for the business very extensively. I took my driver's test in it, had to parallel park, and passed the first try. It can barely be seen in the third picture. Finally, I personally have quite a history with Merkur Scorpios.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
Attachments:

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Who tows their glassic with a classic? 13 years 7 months ago #14853

I have a choice of two trucks to tow my Club Mariner. A '58 Apache short box, 283, with Hydramatic, or a '70 C20, 350, with TurboHydramatic. Am working on a '67 Vista Cruiser Wagon that could easily pull my Avalon.
Attachments:

Re:Who tows their glassic with a classic? 13 years 7 months ago #14856

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Wow what would I give for that black chevy pickup. One fine ride. And welcome aboard Mr. Mariner!

Re:Who tows their glassic with a classic? 13 years 7 months ago #14868

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm going to point out the "Brooks Stevens factor"

Industrial designer Brooks Stevens did many designs for Studebaker and Evinrude.

Through out my life I have continually been attracted to items designed by Stevens, like the Willys Wagon, and original Wagoneer, Evinrude Motors, Milwaukee Road Passenger cars, Oh, the list goes on.....

Here's a link www.brooksstevenshistory.com/

Re:Who tows their glassic with a classic? 13 years 7 months ago #14917

I tow my glassics with classics. My 68 Superlite gets towed by a 68 MGB. My 57 Club Lido will be towed by one of these once the resto is complete - 56 Jaguar MkI Saloon. (This is not my car, but one just like it)
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)