Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can Someone PLEASE Tell Me What Year This Is?!

Can Someone PLEASE Tell Me What Year This Is?! 13 years 7 months ago #14663

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=404799&l=df3c0a0969&id=100000564500569http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=404800&l=1e3665c9b2&id=100000564500569http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=404801&l=e26edd531e&id=100000564500569I have what I think to be a 1968 Evinrude Starflite 100-S (100hp), but there is no plate with a serial number on it. Can someone pleaser tell me what year this is before I go spending $100+ on the wrong service and parts manuals?!?!?!?[img]http://http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=404802&l=cfe11790b1&id=100000564500569
Please help!! I want to order the manuals so that I can rebiuld this classic over the winter. I have it mounted on my 78 Glasstron, which I will also be restoring this winter. Please either respond to this or email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Thank you!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Can Someone PLEASE Tell Me What Year This Is?! 13 years 7 months ago #14668

That is likely a 1968.. but the only real way to tell is by serial number- as the motor covers can get changed. Here is my '68 65HP.

It appears to have been painted- as the lower part of the cover should be a beige-gold
Attachments:

Re:Can Someone PLEASE Tell Me What Year This Is?! 13 years 7 months ago #14674

Indeed, the motor covers can be changed. Look over the powerhead closely for a welch plug set into the block, stamped with the model number and serial number. The hood is a 1968. If the motor is a 1968 100 HP, it should have the under-flywheel mounted distributor and electronic ignition (pulse pack, transformer- no coil/points/condensor). The fuel system was changed from '66 to '67. Apart from the ignition and fuel system changes, the 1966 to 1968 100 HP models are about identical.

Check out the following link for some parts information:
www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php
epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=7167efa0-ee4f-46b9-9809-fc8055af6fcf

Re:Can Someone PLEASE Tell Me What Year This Is?! 13 years 7 months ago #15238

The welch plug doesn't have the serial either. Looks to be a replacement part. The distibutor IS under the flywheel. I kinda guessed that it was a '68, but wanted the opinion of someone more familiar with outbards. I appreciate the help. Today I'm going to cut the old floor out of my '78 Glastron. It's high time this classic beauty gets restored to it's original beauty. I didn't want to have to replace the 100hp Rude that came with it when I bought it. I will post pics of the progress over the winter .... and will likely be asking for advice as well ... lmao. Thanks again fellas. Can't wait to launch her next spring!!

Re:Can Someone PLEASE Tell Me What Year This Is?! 13 years 7 months ago #15512

So when removing the gearcase the book says to engage the forward drive and turn the propeller shaft to expose the shift nut (?). On an electric shift .... where is the lever to engage the engine into forward and reverse?!?!?! I can't even get the gear case off!! I want to rebuild the water pump unit (which includes replacing the impeller right?), but can't get to it. Any suggestions?!

Re:Can Someone PLEASE Tell Me What Year This Is?! 13 years 7 months ago #15581

Which book are you using? The following is from Intertec's Old Outboard Service Book which has condensed service info for a number of makes and models.
Attachments:

Re:Can Someone PLEASE Tell Me What Year This Is?! 13 years 7 months ago #15645

I found an Evinrude service manual at the library. It's not fot a '68, but I figured that gearcase removal would be pretty universal. For all year models it covers it says the same thing,"engage forward lever, and turn prop shaft to expose a linkage screw (?) inside". I just don't get it. This engine is electronic shift, and nothing on my engine looks like any of the diagrams in the book. I guess this is going to be one of those times that I'm going to have to spend money on the '68 manual and pray that I can understand it. I really want to learn how to do this so I can take pride in it once I'm able to launch her. I've got the Rude indside so I can spend all winter on it .... learning how to fix and maintain it. I've got the boat down to hull, floor, and main wiring harness. Going to install new instument panel (LED gauges) and wiring. I found diagrams on instument panel wiring from Glastron, so I'm pretty confident there .... it's just this outboard is confusing the heck out of me.

Re:Can Someone PLEASE Tell Me What Year This Is?! 13 years 7 months ago #15649

To undo the shift find the BLUE and GREEN wires, likely nestled in the belly pan near the rear. There should be a rubber sleeve over a portion of each. Slide the sleeve to one side to reveal a scissor connector on each wire and undo the connector.

Now, I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think the wire runs into a removeable cover UNDER the outer cover on the motor leg. The outer cover is kinda diamond shaped and if you pull that you should see the wire going into a small oval shaped cover. Remove the oval cover and feed the wire through it.

That should do it for undoing the shift. The rest is just the six bolts holding the foot in place.

Re:Can Someone PLEASE Tell Me What Year This Is?! 13 years 7 months ago #15683

It's 2010 Dude

Re:Can Someone PLEASE Tell Me What Year This Is?! 13 years 7 months ago #15686

Sorry about that last one, my 10 year old daughter thought it would be funny while I hit the head. I'm trying to get her interested in my mania but I'm not sure who's winning.

Re:Can Someone PLEASE Tell Me What Year This Is?! 13 years 7 months ago #15706

Lol. It's quite alright man. It took me awhile to become interested in the finer things in life too. I couldn't pass this deal by .... '78 Glastron (17') and trailer w/ outboard for $100. Pretty roomy boat .... should make for nice days on the water with the family next summer. Going to replace most of the supports, the floor, the instument panel and guages, and rebuild the '68 Rude. Nothing like cruising the lake in a classic beauty right?! Heh heh heh.
Thanks for the diagram bro, and I appreciate the "follow the wires" tip too. Hopefully I can drop the gearcase off after today's drag races.

Re:Can Someone PLEASE Tell Me What Year This Is?! 13 years 7 months ago #15709

HA's scan cleaned up...
Attachments:

Re:Can Someone PLEASE Tell Me What Year This Is?! 13 years 7 months ago #15725

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
How 'bout some pics of your Glastron Mickee, got some G'tron fans on here!?!?!

Mark

Re:Can Someone PLEASE Tell Me What Year This Is?! 13 years 7 months ago #15791

Sure thing bro. Let me get the tarp off, and have a nice sunny day and I'll take some pics so you guys and gals can see what I'm starting with. I will be posting pics thru out the winter too. Progress is going to be kind of slow on her, but that will make this restoration one filled with pride!

Re:Can Someone PLEASE Tell Me What Year This Is?! 13 years 6 months ago #17402

So after doing a little research online I've discovered that my Glastron is a '66, not a '78. Even better!!! That makes her a real classic!!! I've got the floor cut out, and will be putting in the 3 supports that are rotted this weekend. Got all the old guages from the dash taken out so that I can replace them with newer LED lit ones. In 2 weeks I'm going to try to get her sanded and painted before the snow starts flying here. It actually snowed last night!! Anyways, soon as I can I will post pics of when I 1st got her, and ones showing my progress.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)