Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Advice getting Johnson FD-10 started?

Advice getting Johnson FD-10 started? 13 years 8 months ago #14160

I'm having some trouble getting my recently purchased and serviced Johnson FD-10 (1956 15hp) running. Since it was serviced and given a clean bill of health a couple of weeks go I'm pretty sure the problem is operator error/inexperience. I certainly am no expert when it comes to outboards or small engines in general (I think I get the idea of a choke...).

That problem is compounded by the fact that numbers (if that's what they were) on the face of the motor are completely worn off, so apart from knowing that the top knob is for "Slow" operation and the bottom know is "Fast" I don't know whether turning the know to the left is more or less.

The motor was run with its pressure tank in the shop so that's not the issue and I can get the motor to turn over and it even go putt-putt-putt a few times, but it never catches.

There are dozens of YouTube videos showing these motors running nicely, but I can't find any that start with the motor off and say "turn this knob to this position, set the choke to this, and everything should be fine," etc.

So if anyone would be so kind as to give me a quick step-by-step, or point me to one elsewhere on the web, I'd be most appreciative. And, yes, I know I should have asked the guy at the shop to run through starting it with me, but I didn't think I'd have this much trouble.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Advice getting Johnson FD-10 started? 13 years 8 months ago #14240

Hi Morgan,
If the motor was test run by someone knowledgeable about your motor then you should not have to do anything to the knobs. BUT, as a baseline, the numbers on the face plate mean NOTHING and you should go by the sound of the motor and how it runs. A good starting point is 1.5 turns from closed for the low speed needle and 1 turn from closed for the high speed. They usually need to be closed up a bit from there once you're running. Do so with the motor in gear, on a boat. Adjust the high speed first, with the motor at wide open, slowly close (clockwise) the needle until the motor loses RPM, then backing it out about 1/4 turn. Then adjust the low speed with the motor at idle, in gear, closing the needle until the motor loses RPM or starts to lean sneeze, then backing it out 1/4 turn.

Starting procedure: Plug in gas line. Prime tank until the primer won't push any more. Make sure the gas cap is tight. Pull choke. Make sure shift is in neutral. Advance throttle to the stop in neutral (should be a little past the "START" position on the cuff on the tiller.) Pull rope. Motor SHOULD start within 3-4 pulls. Once started, you may have to tease the choke on and off a bit 'til the motor warms up. Check for water pumping out the back of the leg.

- Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)