Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another New Tutorial - Refinishing

Another New Tutorial - Refinishing 13 years 8 months ago #14156

This is part 3 of the book - Refinishing. (Located in the restoration section under the "research" tab).

It covers the following topics:

Restore or Refinish?
Polishing Gelcoat
Gelcoat Repair
Gelcoat vs. Paint
Previously Painted Boats
Painting a Boat
-(pt 1)Preparation
-(pt 2)The Finish
Bedding Hardware
After Care

The article is very long. It's approximately 65 book pages in length. This is just a warning.

The missing Part 2 of the book - Transoms, Stringers, and Floors is being written now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Another New Tutorial - Refinishing 13 years 8 months ago #14163

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank You so much!!!!

Re:Another New Tutorial - Refinishing 13 years 8 months ago #14174

Introduction to the book is now posted as well (research/restoration tab)

Re:Another New Tutorial - Refinishing 13 years 8 months ago #14217

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Very nice, thank you very much. I think I will wait untill after the Gel coat Repair section is finished being written before I print it up... I guess I lost my chance to print up the painting part with all those pictures that were added. Darn it...
I dont know how you write all this up. It takes me HOURS to just read through it once. I just finished rereading part 1.
Oh and one more thing....I wonder if I could make enough brushes to paint my boat using some of my ear hair? Heck, I have enough start a business. Mike

ps...I am putting your knowledge to use on a 1961 g3. Infact I better get out there and back to it.

Very glad this will be on fiberglassics FOREVER

Re:Another New Tutorial - Refinishing 13 years 8 months ago #14253

Gel Coat Repair Section has been added. I just did a word count on the whole document and it's up to 23,233 words (that's just the refinishing section and I still have varnishing to cover). Basically, that's about half of a novel.

I recommend printing it out and setting aside a few hours to read it. My apologies for making it so long.

OK, I'm tired now.

Re:Another New Tutorial - Refinishing 13 years 8 months ago #14262

• boats
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
This is awesome. Thank you very much for taking the time to write all this. I think it will help out more people then you know.

Re:Another New Tutorial - Refinishing 13 years 8 months ago #14263

Thank You, Cant wait for part 2 as I have some transom repair/ replacment to do

Re:Another New Tutorial - Refinishing 13 years 8 months ago #14352

Bigfoot,

I don't know how much ear hair you have, but if you're at all ox-like, I would like to purchase some. (For those of you who haven't read the paint article, this probably sounds like a situation that requires the dark of night and possibly police intervention. I assure you, it's a lot less controversial than what's going through your mind)

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for the nice words and that I'm sincerely hopeful you've found the book to be helpful. I'd love to see progress of the G3 as it happens. Let me know if you hit a snag.

Jamil

Re:Another New Tutorial - Refinishing 13 years 8 months ago #14416

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks godelescher. I will have to start a thread here on fiberglassics. I havent split the deck yeat BUT am almost ready.
Im sure all my questions will be answered when you finish writing the stringer/transom part of your book.
I got prices today for joubert okoume marine plywood 6mm $65 and 9mm $75. Ill wait to read part 2.
Yesterday I got prices for Vinylester resin 5 gal shipped to my home for 243.00

The guy at the supply store said 10 ounce e-glass is the most bang for my buck, bends around stringers and such... I know your writing part 2 and will not order supplies untill after thats finished.(Im just taking my time, not in a rush) Im sure that will be included. He tried to sell me the bi-axile glass but I said no thanks.

I want to add glass to the entire interior of the hull. I need to get a respirator. Last time i didnt use one and that cant be good for my body. From reading part 1. it turns out my 1st restore boat fiberglass process was all wrong. I did 2 layers of cloth on the floor with out mat between and the cloth was my top layer. My first 2 layers however were 50" wide mat. The guy said the glass fabric had a shelf life?

Looking forward to your future writings. Glad your here for us. Im not looking for a reply when I wrote this, just saying and Patiently Waiting

ps. turns out I didnt have enough ear hair to make even one brush, lol :)
Attachments:

Re:Another New Tutorial - Refinishing 13 years 8 months ago #14463

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

I recommend printing it out and setting aside a few hours to read it. My apologies for making it so long.

That's exactly what I have done, and it is great reading. Don't apologize for the length Jamil, it's necessary to cover the subject in such great detail. As stated in the introduction, if you have a question go back and re-read, IT's IN THERE! Thank you so much for sharing your efforts, many of us appreciate it more than you will ever know. Personally, I plan on purchasing the book when it's published, (hopefully the pics will be included there) as it will be a treasure in it's own right.

Mike (Bigfoot), you're holding out on us, start the G3 thread bud!

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted