• Page:

TOPIC: Manta Ray interior

Manta Ray interior 13 years 8 months ago #13925

• CAT*FIN*k
  • CAT*FIN*k's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Interior parts are starting to come into play. Picked up the center console this morning. Just gittin' goin' and the rain started. Will be busy next couple days...this is the fun stuff ;)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 8 months ago #13928

wow.....whered you get that? can you find another? ron

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 8 months ago #13930

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Wow. Looks like it is out af a 60's Thunderbird.
That is going to be great.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 8 months ago #13943

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Good eye Neil, `64-`66 T-Bird.

Ron, picked it up on ebay $93 delivered Greyhound. It's in good shape, all metal except the padded lid (w/key). Will need to repaint to color match. The Manta dash is to small for the whole dash but will use most of the T-Bird dash also. Not a T-Bird fan but feel the style will make the interior as unique as the hull.
Attachments:

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 8 months ago #13946

Don Canazzi must be rolling over in his grave!

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 8 months ago #13950

yeah..saying why didn't i think of that....lol

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 8 months ago #13962

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
All metal except the top, even better.
I can't wait to see the dash with more T'Bird parts. They were known for lots of interior chrome.
It will surely be one of a kind.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 8 months ago #13965

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'm loving the auto console, too. I always had that idea in the back of my mind when I get to work on my KitKat. My inspiration will come from the full length console that Dodge put in the 1966 Charger. Figure to work the dual throttles into it as well.
Attachments:

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 8 months ago #13981

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I'ld hope Mr. Canazzi was just gettin' a better view. I'ld think keepin' the sales price under $1K was a big part of the mellow interior.

Jim, I was eyeballin' those also a friend of mine has a `66 & `67. Really like the 4 bucket seat thing. I think it will look good in your KitKat. Was thinkin' to find another glove box to add on the end for the back seat.

Ran into a major snag today. I expected a mess when I removed the old seat and some repairs from the accedent

...but not this... :S

plywood slats
Attachments:

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 8 months ago #13982

just take them out and glass over the top.if they extend to the rear but the hulls not soft, don't worry about it.

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 8 months ago #13995

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Looks like the strips start at the transom forward to the seat base front. I'm cool with replacing, just a time thing. We need to get up to MI for a few weeks then down to Brazil. Have some muscle coming over Sunday to help test fit the deck on the hull. I was really lookin' forward to gettin' the interior set up before puttin' in storage. I can take a box of small parts on the road to work on.

It can save a lot of time by using parts from other sources. This console/dash fit the space very well but will need to work out the small touches. This is a pic of the dash & console style I have.

I'll be using from the 4 gauge pods down. The tach & speedo should fit in `59/`60 Chevy Impala pods molded in above. The light switch will be an easy re-use...parking light will be stern light...headlight will be bow light...rotate for dash lights...interior light at the end. Ignition is really easy. The first switch working up the console is an ON-OFF-ON rocker for door locks, engraved "DOOR LOCKS". I figger this would make a good manual bilge pump switch for port & stbd pumps. To finish it off it will also need to be re-labeled. If anyone is interested, I'm taking pics of all for documentation on the build, I can post pics and explain how I do it. Some don't care about these small details but I really get into it. Just tried to replace the oil gauge with a compass. Found one that fit perfect but the spring clips in the basel had a slight magnetic field...compass only point west when installed...plan B find a 2nd fuel gauge and put a sender in each tank...plan C use a hour meter...
Attachments:

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 8 months ago #13996

i can here Canazzi applauding. ron

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 8 months ago #14000

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cat Fin
Absolutely! Keep the pics and the progresses coming.
Inspiration comes from everywhere, small custom touches are what individualizes and really sets it apart from the average.
I am sure there are more than I that will be following your progress.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 8 months ago #14003

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
CF wrote:

If anyone is interested, I'm taking pics of all for documentation on the build, I can post pics and explain how I do it. Some don't care about these small details but I really get into it.

Please do, it's attention to the small details that take any project "to the next level", IMHO. Very interesting to watch/listen/learn, file away in what's left of the brain for future reference if nothing else. LOL

I have great respect for those who choose the completely original faithful restoration process, but a well done "Custom" job is just as appealing. As long as you're bringing one back from the bone yard, that's what's most important!

Mark

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 8 months ago #14013

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
A quick question, are you saying the wood slats are sandwiched between glass layers from front to back the length of the floor? Sounds like a ton of work to replace all that!

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 8 months ago #14014

jim, i think its only the top of the tunnel. i think it had something to do with forming the mold. i doubt it adds much strength since they're so thin, but i could be wrong. mine might be the same but my tunnel is hard as a rock. i jumped up and down on it with no flex whatsoever. ron

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 8 months ago #14026

crosbyboat wrote:

Don Canazzi must be rolling over in his grave!

brian,i think you one of the best if not THE BEST boat restorer,i have ever seen,but i see nothing wrong with some customazation on a boat,heck i lost points at harveys lake show because of the console i customized and put in the sunray,but we like it and so did most of the people that saw it,to me its like making a hotrod out of a car that was going to go to the scrap pile anyhow,at least it was saved.
please dont take anything i said as me not liking all original boats,i love them .
and i follow all of your projects with huge interest,it was alot of your posts that helped me when redoing the sunray.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 8 months ago #14053

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I dont want to leave the slats in place...a lil like sweepin' dirt under the rug. They may also be there to re-inforce the seam down the center & keep the keels from spreading and running true. The tunnel seems solid to walk on but then thats not running cross sea with 4 people on board. Should be fairly easy to remove. I'll use a circular saw, set the blade for 5/16" depth and cut the area up like a pan of brownies.

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 7 months ago #14070

seam???are you saying your tunnel wasn't laid as one piece? never noticed a seam in mine. ron

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 7 months ago #14077

katfin it willlook really great when your finshed,i like it.
ron bring "remember then" here to my house and ill make sure you get a great looking console in it,just spend a day or so here.john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 7 months ago #14087

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
The tunnel build up on this one starting with the finish layer then a layer a matt, a layer on heavy cloth. The cloth is full length and seamed in the center. The seam was done by folding the 2 edges together, like folding together the top of a paper bag. I found it when I opened the bow storage deck where it was exposed. I filled the gap on the one side with epoxy and epoxied 2 layers of matt over that. From the bow to the front seat it is covered with the black poly resin where it could be seen. Under the front seat back there is then a layer of matt, then 1/4" plywood slats, a layer of matt, a layer of heavy cloth, coated with black poly resin.

There are many paths I could have taken, after all it took me over 10 years looking to find a Manta Ray. It's not a matter of right or wrong to me, just how well it's done. My goal in this build is to combine the spirit of the gentleman racer with the fins & chrome style of the early `60s. If I had found a Racer model it would be a stock restoration...well as much as possable in todays world. I could pick up plywood and lumber from a house remodel in the neighborhood, these houses were all built `59-`62, but would not use 50 year old resin even if found. There's always a point when you gotta cry uncle...their only original once.

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 7 months ago #14096

cat, since i never did anything close to what your doing i don't understand. don't waste your time trying to explain to me, i would have to see it to comprehend.lol
john, i can't see how the remote would work in the console because of the long forward throw. i would think the front of the console would have to be completely removed to allow the remote handle to pass.
Attachments:

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 7 months ago #14098

ron,almost anything can be fabricated,bring it up and i will make one for you,no charge buddy,but make sure you can fit,lol,you are pretty tall.
im sure i could do it pretty quick,i even have some white vinyl,and if thats not what you want find a yard or so of the marine vinyl you like,and bring it along.
because of our friendship i would love to do it for you,besides i miss working on a boat,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 7 months ago #14099

oh my !!!!!im so sorry catfink,i just hijacked your thread,i am very sorry,thats 2 times i did that this month,boy i am stupid,im going to go kick my own butt now,i really am sorry,and this is a great thread,i hope i havent ruined it for you,sorry,sorry sorry.wow what a jerk i am.

---Mark Twain

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 7 months ago #14120

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Ron, that works for me...I'm a better pointer than explainer. lol

Your cool John, more on topic than my tunnel structure post.

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 7 months ago #14814

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Got back on track with the interior. Will need to wait for seats but looks like I'll need to raise things a couple inches.

Attachments:

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 7 months ago #14819

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
It looks like it is going to fit pretty darn good.
What is your steering wheel choice going to be?
The T-Bird had a swingaway, right? That would be quite the touch.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 7 months ago #14839

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
The T-Bird had swing steering, I've been lookin' at tilt helms, need to clear the gauges. Not sure on the steering wheel yet. I have this Moon Eyes blue metalflake.

This Impy would look nice but is pricey.

Have started looking at tryn' one of these.

These guys blow my mind!!! www.pearlcraft.com.au/welcome.htm

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 7 months ago #14840

HOLY MOLY.......NEAT!

Re:Manta Ray interior 13 years 7 months ago #14843

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The bottom wheel gets my vote.
The styling goes with the rest of the dash and the console.
As far as the price, well, you only have to buy it once, right?
Whatever your choice, I am sure it will look great.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.316 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'