Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: next project 1959 chief?sunray has a new home.

next project 1959 chief?sunray has a new home. 13 years 8 months ago #13526

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
im thinking of restoring this 1959 thunderbird chief,it needs eveything,it even looks like the transom was cut down. and the suray is out of my small garage and in eds 2 car garage,it seems happy there lol.john
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:next project 1959 chief?sunray has a new home. 13 years 8 months ago #13529

That looks like a good project for you John. Good luck!

Frank

Re:next project 1959 chief?sunray has a new home. 13 years 8 months ago #13532

john, get a cover for that even though its garaged. i was hoping the cruiser would be next but i guess its too big for your garage. ron

Re:next project 1959 chief?sunray has a new home. 13 years 8 months ago #13538

John,
Just wanted to comment on your absolutely gorgeous work on the Sunray. It's truly stunning! Thanks for the updates along the way. It was great to see it all come together for you.

I grew up in western PA on the Shenango Reservoir, not too far from you. Even had a sister who went to Indiana University. If I can get back that way sometime, is it OK if I look you up? Would love to meet you and see the Sunray in person.

Paul

Re:next project 1959 chief?sunray has a new home. 13 years 8 months ago #13558

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:next project 1959 chief?sunray has a new home. 13 years 8 months ago #13559

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
paul,thank you very much,and sure just let me know when your coming,the boat is at my moms fiances house ,but ill take you to see it.
i have heard of the shenango reservior,but im sure where that is,lol.
ron as far as the cruiser goes it was too much,he wanted 5500.00 bucks,he was a very nice guy,but he wastold it was rare and it is rare,but its not mint.
frank im thinking hard on this chief.like i said it needs everything,this is the one we found in ny,laying in the weeds.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:next project 1959 chief?sunray has a new home. 13 years 8 months ago #13708

John,
The Shenango Reservoir is on the western edge of the state just north of Sharon, PA. Probably within 1 1/2 hours of you. Our family farm bordered the river and the year I was born ('64) the Army Corps of Engineers built a flood control dam downstream. Half of the farm went under water, but the benefit for me was that it created an 11 mile long lake for me to play on right in back of the house. Lead a real Tom Sawyer existence in my younger years with lots of fishing, swimming, skiing, hunting, boating on that lake. Moved to Chicago after school, really didn't set foot on a boat for almost 20 years until I hit forty. Started buying old boats and motors, sort of a mid-life thing I guess. Have had 11 boats over the past few years. Have hung on to three. Dozens of motors as well. Great thing to be back on the water again and now that our girls are old enough to ski I'm trying to introduce them to the fun I had as a kid.

Anyways, like many of us, the nostalgia for my younger years drives my constant search for the next cool old project. Really enjoy seeing your work. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

Re:next project 1959 chief?sunray has a new home. 13 years 8 months ago #13710

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
paul,wow it sounds like a great life for a kid,i grew up in vintondale pa,a old coal mining town,i was into motorcycles back then.
i got my 1st boat when i was 1st married,a 1960s starcraft 14 footer,then had a couple of fishing boats and a canoe over the years.then i bought an old 1964 seaking cabin cruiser,the motor need alot of work,but i had it running one day,lol.
thats when i found fiberglassics,and have been here ever since 2006,i learned everything i know about boats ,right here.
and right now im looking for that next REALLY COOL CLASSIC,lol,to custom restore,thanks paul,john .ps and thanks to kelly and sandi,and the great members here.

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'