• Page:

TOPIC: Looking for samples of Glasspar Seafair rubber

Looking for samples of Glasspar Seafair rubber 1 year 11 months ago #146728

• eperot
  • eperot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
In a quest to get a supplier other than WEFCO who no longer makes white rubber, I am in need of some samples (scrap pieces, really) of the various rubber trim. With these I will approach several rubber product companies to discuss making dies to cut these profiles in white extrusions. Eric Meissner was nice enough to send me some of the rub rail, (although I'm not sure it's been agreed upon what the correct profile is for the rub rail). I still need window gasket material and the hatch rubber.

Anyone have any bits, let me know. Maybe we'll all benefit in the future (those who still care enough to have white rubber anyway :)
Thanks!
Eric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Looking for samples of Glasspar Seafair rubber 1 year 11 months ago #146734

I'll send what I have. I'm actually a bit confused at this point as to which one it is supposed to be. I used it for my side window as it was all I had left

Looking for samples of Glasspar Seafair rubber 1 year 9 months ago #146802

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Well, I made a call to an in-state rubber manufacturer. At the outset it looked like a fair deal...their advertising was $350 for a die to be cut, and a minimum order of $500. Not bad, but then I called and the rep said the die is more like $500, and for white rubber, the order would need to be in the thousands of dollars. I cannot invest that kind of money, nor do I need that much product, but there are MANY such operations, and I'll keep trying. Still looking for windshield gasket/ hatch gasket scraps as samples.

I wouldn't mind coughing up the money to get it done if I knew I had buyers to help defray the cost. Eventually I'd like to get a group buy together once I can find a place willing to do it for a reasonable sum and smaller order.

Eric

Looking for samples of Glasspar Seafair rubber 1 year 9 months ago #146807

Hi Eric, I have the same issue. Unfortunately mine is quite different than yours. I had decided to just try and clean and scrub mine in order to revive it so to speak. Of course I'm neck deep in the Woody Resorter so I never got very far. Lol

Bob

Looking for samples of Glasspar Seafair rubber 1 year 9 months ago #146808

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Bob,

I wish I could use my original seals but the rubrail is in rough shape and the windshield rubber is worse...it's all breaking down, checked and flaky from too much sun and age.

Eric

Looking for samples of Glasspar Seafair rubber 1 year 9 months ago #146822

I would kick in some $ to get this done. I would like new rubrail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: eperot

Looking for samples of Glasspar Seafair rubber 1 year 9 months ago #146825

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
That's awesome to hear. I'd like to try to get a bunch of people who need or want Seafair rubber together and we can do this. Heck, maybe we can even get Terry some window rubber that will fit properly so he doesn't have to still use his originals (yup, I read that thread!)

Trouble is getting the word out...this fantastic glassic forum doesn't seem to have much action at the moment...

Looking for samples of Glasspar Seafair rubber 1 year 9 months ago #146830

Could try the Facebook glasspar forums. I also need the metal window track for mine.

Looking for samples of Glasspar Seafair rubber 1 year 9 months ago #146832

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
The following user(s) said Thank You: Natty Lee

Looking for samples of Glasspar Seafair rubber 1 year 9 months ago #146843

Hello Eric,

I have a Wefco sample package they put together for a Glasspar event down in Florida.

I can send you a slice of the rubrail that fits my 59. Also have a sample of the original hatch gasket which was used on the helm panels and wrapped the edge under the windows in the cabin.

The cabin and flybridge windshield gasket extrusion is a mystery. I cut out a sample of the original and they twice tried and could not match it properly.

Wefco once courted the marine industry plying that pretty white EDPM for our classics. Running the white product requires cleaning house to prevent contamination. They typically run carbon black all day and it is everywhere and costs them to clean up for the occasional white order.

Wefco has the original dies. How about assembling a large order of Glasspar rubber in white and present it to Robin.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Looking for samples of Glasspar Seafair rubber 1 year 9 months ago #146844

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Terry,

I have called and spoken with Robin and another guy on several occasions. It actually got kind of heated with the email messages I was exchanging with the guy (name unknown). They've let me know in no uncertain terms they will never run any rubber but black again. They used to do custom colors, white, grey,....no longer. Hence the need to find another company who will. I'd love samples of what you can give me. And, if I can get a place to do this, would you be interested in new white rubber for your windows? The die would be made off an original piece so it should fit properly.
Also, please tell your friends in the Glasspar community (I know you have a lot more connections than I) that there is a crazy guy willing to get these Seafair specific extrusions made with a little help in the way of orders or monetary assistance. It can be done.
My info:
Eric Perreault
509 W Plane St.
Hackettstown, NJ

Thanks!

Looking for samples of Glasspar Seafair rubber 1 year 8 months ago #146969

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thread Bump

Terry, if you can send some samples it would be most appreciated. Thanks
Eric

Looking for samples of Glasspar Seafair rubber 1 year 8 months ago #146971

Eric, I did not forget about you but we been keeping busy in the holler.

Showed Mama Mia! at Tomahawk and she needed lotsa TLC before heading up dere, aye?

I will mail next week for sure.

And I assume you saw this post which addressed the cabin window profile issue.

www.fiberglassics.com/forum/main-forum/133664-glasspar-seafair-sedan.html#146460

Terry
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: eperot

Looking for samples of Glasspar Seafair rubber 1 year 8 months ago #147030

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Got the samples, Terry, thank you so much!

God that boat is an achievement. That Merc looks so fine too...is that a new prop? I recall your last one was being problematic?

Looking for samples of Glasspar Seafair rubber 1 year 8 months ago #147092

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Got 'em, thanks Terry!

Looking for samples of Glasspar Seafair rubber 1 year 7 months ago #147114

Thanks Eric but all I did was take her apart, clean and recoat and put it all back together again.
Folks at Tomahawk appreciated seeing a small cruiser up there and those lights in the arena really made Mama Mia! sparkle.

That prop was original to the 61 Merc 800a on the Glasspar. I spun the bushing last summer and have had it replaced.
And I still run the original 800a power head although most of what you see here is a 1961 800b using a 1969 1150 swivel and Power T/T assembly.
The cowl wrap is still original black paint and the lettered MERCURY Top Hat is original although recoated.

Regarding the Wefco not sure what you are holding here but looks like the hatch gasket I sent you. Wefco on two occasions shipped gaskets that did not fit and they had an original sample I sent them.

What type of gasket and channel is on your boat?
Attachments:

Looking for samples of Glasspar Seafair rubber 1 year 7 months ago #147116

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Terry,

Oh, that's the hatch gasket I am holding? I was assuming it was window gasket. It looks like the gap is almost too big to cling to the hatch edge, but maybe it isn't. But that makes more sense now. It's a rainy day here so I'll have to wait to un-tarp the boat and try it on for size.

I assume my window channel and gasket are the same as what you have. I have not taken it apart so at the moment a cross section is out. I'll have to pull one of the windows eventually to get a seal out as a template for the molding knife.

Thanks!
Eric

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)