Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need motor info Up date

Need motor info Up date 13 years 8 months ago #13311

I'm trying to find some info on my 2 40hp Elgins. Think they were made by West Bend Heres what numbers I got off the data plate don't know what is model and what is seral numbers 110 1713 and 60420. Want to get these running but can't find any info. Tell me were to go but be nice about it.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Need motor info 13 years 8 months ago #13316

• jon_a
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
if you were to show a picture of them i could tell you immeidately if they are west bend motors.

depending on what parts you need.... depends on what source to go to. ultimately if you need coils you should try transplanting some generic omc replacement ones onto your coil armatures. it can be done- not that hard. much better than chasing around obsolete coils.

water pumps are probably available at laing's outboard or perhaps fairwinds. there may be some issues deciphering compatibility going back that far, but west bend after the elgin contract was up sold a lot of motors in the usa badged west bend and then chrysler bought them up and made few design changes. so i'd be shocked if a late 60s chrysler 35 impeller wouldn't work on a late 50s elgin 35 but i've never tried it. you might have to feel out compatibility on your own- have the key way diameter with you when you call to try to order. or maybe try the earliest possible known 35hp west bend / chrysler impeller you can find.

there is a vintage chrysler site out there- focused on boats but i am sure that there is expertise on the motors there too. i have put a 1990 force 35 next to a 1960 west bend shark 40 and noted that there were almost no changes made to the motors other than an updated electronic ignition. the lower units seem to have remained the same on the outside but i never tore into both at once and compared side by side the internals. the force had a blown cyl so i sold it for parts. power heads looked nearly identical. just fyi

jon

Re:Need motor info 13 years 8 months ago #13324

OK found out there were made by McCulla not West Bend. And are 1959s. I have a 1959 Firestone made by west bend and not the same motor. The West Bends of that year had exturnal coils like small car coils. The coils on this motor are under the flywheel. Biggist problem is getting the wiring figured out. Jumped the start solanoid and got it to turn over and comprission is 120lbs in each cyls
Got no spark turning it over with starter.
Mike aka pathfinderz1
PS
Will try to get pix today

Re:Need motor info 13 years 8 months ago #13329

OK someone sent me a wiring digram on and another site and got the wires figure out and got spark. So now to put some fuel and see if she will fire. O yes it will go in the test tank and check to see if it pumps
Both motors are 1959.
Thanks
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Need motor info 13 years 8 months ago #13346

• jon_a
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
sounds like you're on the way. post some pictures of them in the tank!

Re:Need motor info 13 years 8 months ago #13378

OK you wanted some pix. The first one is the motor I'm working on with out the hood and with the hood. The other is sitting for now.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

PS
Will try and see if she fires up today
Attachments:

Re:Need motor info 13 years 8 months ago #13385

OK great got it running but not pumping water. Realy didn't think it would these motors have been sitting for a few years. So now I need to find Impeller numbers and were to buy.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Need motor info 13 years 8 months ago #13386

hey mike,i dont know if this will help you,but it might help others looking for johnny/rude/omc parts.
contact jeff or deb,they are liquidating their fathers 50 plus year old boat bussiness,i bought 3 brass transom tubes from them and deb was great,they have alot of old nos stuff,heres the link,
www.leathersboathouse.com/index.php ,i hope it helps at least someone,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Need motor info 13 years 8 months ago #13387

oh and by the way mike,that yellow"top" tobacco can aint going to be big enough to run that motor in,lol,joke,i couldnt help myself,lol,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Need motor info 13 years 8 months ago #13392

O didn't you know that is a mini motor. Use those cans to drain lower unit. Used to buy my tobacco in those cans till the taxs went up so dam high now buy it by the pound. You know roll your own. Keeps me from smoking so much. Can't just grab a smoke when driving and not going to stop just to roll one.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Need motor info 13 years 8 months ago #13450

You might try this website for impellors www.laingsoutboards.com

Re:Need motor info 13 years 8 months ago #13451

Emailed them and will see if they have it in stock.
Thanks
Mike

Re:Need motor info 13 years 8 months ago #13469

Don't know how far back they go, but NAPA Auto Parts has a pretty good line and they will give you their Marine catolog.
old darb

Re:Need motor info 13 years 8 months ago #13494

Got the site and they don't have it. Finly got the impeller numbers
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Need motor info 13 years 8 months ago #13498

• jon_a
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
www.laingsoutboards.com

i am not them, they are not me, they are just one of the larger obsolete parts providers for non-omc motors.

hope this helps.

Re:Need motor info 13 years 8 months ago #13499

• jon_a
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
home.earthlink.net/~flyingscott/

looks like this guy has it nailed

Re:Need motor info up date 13 years 8 months ago #13601

OK guys got the wiring all figured out and she runs but was not pumping. A guy sent me a manual and found out a seal was missing so made one and now she pumps. Now to get her on the boat and see how it does on the boat.
Thanks for all the info
Mike aka pathfinderz1

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)