Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Motor on 1959 Glastron Firelite

New Motor on 1959 Glastron Firelite 3 years 8 months ago #142960

Currently powered by 1965 Mercury 650 which weighs about 200 lbs. I would like to repower with a 60HP Honda 4 stroke which seems to be the lightest 4 stroke in that power range. 237 lbs. Any comments about new motors on classic fiberglass boats other than the inappropriate appearance? I'm getting too old to continue fussing with the eccentricities of old motors. The boat is beautiful, lies low in the water and has a 17 inch transom. The dealer assures me he can mount the 20 inch motor high enough so that the cavitation plate lines up correctly. Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Motor on 1959 Glastron Firelite 3 years 8 months ago #142962

I've heard of fiberfolks take an old cowl from a classic motor, then make brackets to fit and put the old cowling on the new motor and paint it to look like old ? That is an option. But if you're happy with a new motor,,,, it's your boat !

New Motor on 1959 Glastron Firelite 3 years 8 months ago #142963

Great idea. Thanks.

New Motor on 1959 Glastron Firelite 3 years 8 months ago #142968

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I sure know where you're coming from. The oldies are nice eye candy but can be high maintenance and cantankerous.
Putting an up to date motor on a classic wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Putting on a classic cowl is an option but except for aesthetics it will always look cobbed together.
As Chuck said, "it's your boat" do what you want. If someone doesn't like it that's their opinion, like a....les, everyone has one.

New Motor on 1959 Glastron Firelite 3 years 8 months ago #142969

I agree with Cal. These boats aren't being restored for the museum. They are for everyday use. Make it your own. The extra 37 lbs shouldn't make much of a difference, as long as they do a good job adding the 3 inches to the transom for the long shaft motor. You will use it a lot more when you know it is dependable. Enjoy it.
Bill

New Motor on 1959 Glastron Firelite 3 years 8 months ago #142970

Thanks. The issue for me is if it is too heavy, cavitates, porpoises or simply doesn't work, they won't take back a very expensive motor. The new motor folks have no experience or interest in repowering classic boats. They have great interest in selling motors.

New Motor on 1959 Glastron Firelite 3 years 8 months ago #142974

I don't think weight will be a problem, I've got about 300 lbs on mine. Just want to be sure your transom is solid.
Cheers
Bill
Attachments:

New Motor on 1959 Glastron Firelite 3 years 8 months ago #142975

Absolutely beautiful! Many thanks. If I ever screw up the courage to trust the dealer and invest the $, I'll post a follow-up. I've been trying to get on the Glastron forum but no luck.

Harry

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)