• Page:

TOPIC: 58 Skagit

58 Skagit 4 years 5 months ago #141287

• marathon6
  • marathon6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey everyone! I know I haven’t been around for a while, life really interfered with a lot of things. My Father passed and we had to put my Mother in a home....you know the deal. Well, the 58 Skagit Sportster had been ignored for quite some time now and it may be time for it to go to a home where she can be used and appreciated in all her glory! I thought I might see if there is enough interest here to go ahead and list it in the Glassifieds. Should I list it? Would there be enough interest in it? You’ve always been a great bunch and I’ve always appreciated the camaraderie....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

58 Skagit 4 years 5 months ago #141290

Glad your back, sorry to hear about your dad. Mom in the home is never an easy thing to do. As for the Skagit, throw her on the glassifieds and see what happens. I'll have to pass as I already have the Wagemaker and the Century Resorter (still in restoration). I have to admit I've only used the Wagmaker once this year but not getting rid of it. I'd keep her unless your absolutely sure you'll NEVER use her. Just my 2 cents.

Bob

58 Skagit 4 years 5 months ago #141294

• marathon6
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Waterwings wrote: Glad your back, sorry to hear about your dad. Mom in the home is never an easy thing to do. As for the Skagit, throw her on the glassifieds and see what happens. I'll have to pass as I already have the Wagemaker and the Century Resorter (still in restoration). I have to admit I've only used the Wagmaker once this year but not getting rid of it. I'd keep her unless your absolutely sure you'll NEVER use her. Just my 2 cents.

Bob

Thanks Bob! It's a decision I'm still battling with. It's been sitting in the garage collecting dust and money has gotten a little tight right now. It's an awesome laker and calm water boat and I miss takin' her out. I've made no definite decision at this point but I've been on and off about it. If there is serious interest, I'm considering it. Thanks for the input!

58 Skagit 4 years 5 months ago #141302

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
My thoughts. If you have the room for storage I would put the trailer on blocks, tires off the ground. Run StaBil through the fuel lines, pull the plugs and spray a huge amount of fogging oil in, turn it over to lube the cylinder walls, make sure there is no water in the lower unit and then put mice poison on the floor. Cover it tightly with a tarp. Same thing you would do for winter storage. If it's restored the price will not go down with age, if anything price will increase if you decide to sell.
Sorry to hear of your father and placement of mom. I've gone through the same thing, comes with our ages. Just do not forget to visit everyday if possible, remember b'days, bring her home for holidays. I used to pick up my mom on the spur of the moment for a short trip Mc Dees. Good for them to at least get outside.

58 Skagit 4 years 5 months ago #141305

• marathon6
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
It’s been laid up properly, it just makes me sad to see it every time I work in the garage.....if I can store it out of sight, that would make things a little better. But every time we get short on funds or space gets tight, I lean towards selling her.
Unfortunately Mom is in Virginia so I can’t visit daily, but I get down there when I can.....
Thanks for the input fellas!

58 Skagit 4 years 5 months ago #141360

List it here and everywhere you can think of. Selling a boat here is sort of akin to selling Ice to an Eskimo. While it's possible to find a buyer here - you would do best to increase exposure to all avenues of advertising. This is also a tough time to sell a boat, unless it's warm where you are.

58 Skagit 4 years 5 months ago #141363

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I've had good selling on both Craigslist and eBay. Live in northeastern WI but have sold boats in San Antonio, S. Carolina, Florida, Louisiana. Indiana, and Colorado. Buyers have to pick up transportation cost. Ebay grabs a percentage so price it accordingly.
Go through PayPal and take 1/2 or $500. down payment, no refunds. Remainder in cash at pickup.

58 Skagit 4 years 5 months ago #141382

• marathon6
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for all the input guys! I’m really struggling with this, but every time the bills come in, that’s when I think it’s time to sell. We’ll see, I’ll keep you posted!

58 Skagit 4 years 5 months ago #141384

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Everyone's situation is different. Loved the video and you have a pretty cool piece of history. I have had a boat waiting for restoration for 10 years as life kept interrupting with set backs...but I am not giving up since I had wanted to do something like that for long before I finally got what I wanted. I just worked on the free stuff first...tearing out rotten transom, sanding here and there so because I never had a big window of time to do it all at once. I had been buying little parts here and there over the years when I could spare a few bucks and found decent deals (since I had the time to watch and wait for certain parts to come along), mine is small so it hangs from my garage ceiling...but until I know there is no way I can finish it, I will keep chipping along when I can. I know it may be a year or 2 before I even start up on it again. However, not only do I want to enjoy it on the water, I am also doing it as something I can pass along to my kids and grandkids. I have most of the parts needed to put it together once restored...maybe $300-400 dollars more. By spreading the cost over time instead of buying everything at once has helped me stay interested. I felt if I waited for that big window of time and that bigger outlay of cash all at once, it might be more difficult to do and I also might look at that money all at once and say that I just cannot justify the cost. It won't be fancy and likely would not fetch the price of restoring it, but it is still way cheaper than a new boat and I cannot get the old Glassic look or feel in a new boat anyway. My motivation is driven by passion and not common sense lol. also when you do a little here and there, the project does not look like such a big monster when you try and tackle it all at once. Someone once told me that Life is hard by the Yard, but by the Inch it is a Synch! Good luck in your decision to keep or sell. Never an easy decision. Sorry for your recent family loss and situations that also make things so much more difficult with any decision making. Certainly life changing events can make us pause and review what direction our lives go forward from there.

Dr.Go!

58 Skagit 4 years 4 months ago #141504

• marathon6
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Doc! It's been put on hold for now and I'm assessing options. If I can find a place to store it, that would be the old " out of sight out of mind" deal! It has been taking up space in the garage that I need as well. With retirement on the horizon, I WILL want to do some fishing and other things. I really appreciate everyone's input, it's always been a great community of people! It's also sad to find out that my friend Ron V. has passed. Many good times at Harvey's and Silver Lakes...... R.I.P. Ron......

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)