Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Self restoration (Larson Thunderhawk)

Self restoration (Larson Thunderhawk) 13 years 8 months ago #13245

• jepstr67
  • jepstr67's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Back when I was 14, my dad and I restored a 1957 Larson Falls Flyer. More like brought it back from the dead. It was the greatest thing that ever happened to me. I took great pride in driving that boat every day, rain, shine, wind, fog, and dark of night. I was out amongst the ice in the fall, and again in the spring. Time went by, the boat needed a little work and I had the money to hire it done. I got the boat back, and it looked great! Better than factory new, but soon after that I realized the magic of the self restoration, telling people my dad and I fixed this boat, was gone. I still love the boat and the memories, but learning took place.

Now I have a Thunderhawk that is in need of some fixing. The sides OK but in some places the gelcoat is cracked. Many many small cracks. I'm not going to hire some one to re-gelcoat it.

I seem to be having success with thinning out the primer and forcing it ALL THE WAY DOWN into the cracks with a squeegee. It takes 3 coats to fill the cracks completely. Then a coat of regular primer out of the can over the top, and 3 coats of paint. It looks like brand new! (in the test spots) I know, I know, "you can't do it like that", but I'm going to anyway. If it cracks again, well too bad, I did it my self and that's the way I want it done. I simply must regain the magic of the self restoration on this craft. I learned that too much money made me sad rather than happy when I hired the Flyer work done. Now I only hire people to work on things I don't care about.

Todd McGonagle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Self restoration (Larson Thunderhawk) 13 years 8 months ago #13250

Now you know why I like working on my old motor. I get some that have been sitting for 40 years. And when you hear them come back to life its like nothing else. Everytime I get one running I got to go get the wife to hear it. Then I put in on the boat and we go for a ride. Yes some have left me sitting out on the water. But I have a kicker that is as old as Iam and it get us back to the dock. Nothing feels better then telling someone you did it your self.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Self restoration (Larson Thunderhawk) 13 years 8 months ago #13265

• jepstr67
  • jepstr67's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
It really hit home a couple of years ago when I took part in a boat show where one prize was best armature restoration and I couldn't enter that category.

Since then, they eliminated the award because of a controversy over a boat where it was questionable as to whether the owner actually did the restoration himself or just did a little bit and hired the rest done.

The guy who has to cheat winning an award should just go buy a trophy. :angry:

Re:Self restoration (Larson Thunderhawk) 13 years 8 months ago #13274

I love the story, and I feel like you do. We bought a 68' Starcraft Datonya TR-17 with a 73' 65HP Evinrude in 2005. (Boat had been sitting for 13 years) Finally hit the water last year, and the refurbishing continues. But we use it, and my boys (13 and 9) are able to help on the safer parts of the projects.

Just this week the three of us rebuilt a 69' 9.5 carb and then boat tested. And it ran great. Total cost including purchase was under $200.

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)