Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 5 months ago #138283

I’m picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 200
I’ve spent all weekend day and night looking up as much info as I could find in the last few days on the many sites and links you’ve provided. I’ve found a ton of data, thanks to you all. I’ve read archives going back to ‘98.
It’s a good thing the boat doesn’t look as if it needs much. The Guy you see on the Port Side of my profile Picture knew I’ve been looking for a boat. It’s as if no matter what you’ve allocated to spend on a boat, it’s never enough. I was actually about to purchase a similar boat as the WellCraft in my profile pic. We haven’t taken her out since we took that picture.
My boys were beginning to get into everything and were 2 and my daughter was 12 and I had cheer, Dance etc. to attend. Scott’s wife, after the last trip, gave him so much grief, (We stayed out all 3 days in beautiful weather as we said we would, but it was storming all weekend onshore.), that he said he was going to retire the “Sea Monkey” for a while.
It’s been parked since that last trip. I’m glad I never knew it was our last trip.
10 years have gone by. My daughter is becoming a young lady at 17 and the twins are ready to get on the water more often. I’ve mostly fished inshore since we parked her. Scott had no children but he works hard and coaches Soccer in his spare time. His wife passed away 2 years ago from cancer.
I messaged him a pic of the boat that was exactly like his with the top and all. However, this boat had a Four Stroke Suzuki 200 HP.
I was excited about teaching my sons the things we learned 20 years ago. I still have all the GPS Locations and spent most of last summer fishing those spots. All the GPS “Numbers” good and loaded.
To my surprise SCOTT said he’s putting the “Sea Monkey” back together and then told me about the Rogue. So the “Sea Monkey” will ride again and I’ll have something to pull my kids and their friends with this coming summer. I’ve got at least one summer with my daughter as she will be a senior in high school. The boys are in for the best summer they’ve ever had with fishing in the Sea Monkey and riding in a Classic experiencing water sports.
Scott got the Rogue running. The guy told him the motor was bad. That’s why he gave it away.
Scott got new points a hot battery hooked up an external electric pump an he said the engine didn’t make a full revolution before purring like a kitten. He ran it for 30 min or more before shutting her back down.
Here are my questions.
I know it needs a new mechanical fuel pump.
I’ve gone through all archives and links regarding OEM parts vs crossing over to NOS and new auto parts and have seen videos regarding the 800.
What maintenance would you perform on the boat at this point?
What special tools are needed?
I’m taking her straight to a friends shop to give her a full service.
Then, there after, how often and what needs to be done such as oil changes etc.?
I’m aware of the requirement for the type C oil for the LU now since you’ve provided all this info.
What kind of oil for the engine, gaskets, modifications, etc. would you make or change.
Thank you for your instruction and the wealth of knowledge you’ve provided.
Kind Regards,
Mark Mize

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 5 months ago #138285

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I love those little odd-fire Buick V6s. They're very reliable engines, performance parts are available and they sound great at idle. A good source for parts would be Jeep sites. Jeep ran these V6s for years and those guys know all about them. (...and "car parts" are always cheaper than "boat parts!")

I'd change the plugs, drain the oil, refill with Mobil One 10W30 and install a Mobil One oil filter. You might also either clean or replace the distributor cap and points, maybe the plug wires. Check the compression and the timing. Drain the block and manifolds and run a couple gallons of RV (pink) anti-freeze through before you store for the winter.

Personally, I'd pull that engine and make it a showpiece. I have a thing for pretty engines. I'd degrease everything and paint the engine some color to match the boat. I'd also go with an Offenhauser four barrel aluminum intake manifold, an Edelbrock #1409 600 CFM carb, a K&N 59-3364 marine flame arrestor, an over-stated camshaft, a Pertronix distributor and coil, some vintage aluminum valve covers and a chrome marine GM 1-wire alternator...but that's just me.

Here's a Buick 225 V6 (car engine that needs better valve covers) but you get the idea.

Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 5 months ago #138287

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I think I have a new unused fuel pump for that motor sitting on a shelf.
Jan I see you took a selfie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Org320Hr67Rogue

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 5 months ago #138288

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
My alter ego. This happens to me every full moon. It wears off at sunrise.

I also have V6 225 parts and performance goodies sitting on the shelf as well as a pristine pair of rare Kenne Bell aluminum V6 valve covers. You just can't have too much good shit!

"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 5 months ago #138292

Wow that is a beautiful motor. What kind of funds would it take to make those mods? I have acces to a mechanic shop and tools. However, I’m not a Mechanic. Luckily, I’m a Certified YouTube mechanic. LOL! Would you think that someone who can follow instructions but has no automotive engine experience could undertake such a task?
If I made Mods like that would that affect any future value increases that could possibly arise because it wouldn’t be considered all “original” any longer. Or would it still be considered original? I think this has the 300 V8 Buick Engine. Are the V8 parts as readily available? I can’t remember all the cars the V8 engine was used in that I read. I think they said a Range Rover was one. If I say a Range Rover Fuel Pump it may be more.
Are any of you familiar with the Trailer. It never launched the boat. The guy that purchased the boat from the original owner, bought theTrailer, pulled the boat to his Barn and never used the boat thereafter. It looks like it says Long on the Sticker. I can’t wait to get it so I can get answers to some of these questions. There is additional wording and I’m sure says who made it. It could be an OEM MFG. for later Model Cathedral Hulls.
Regarding winterizing, that’s why I’m glad I live in Mobile and Glad the Original Top was never used. It rarely gets below freezing here and the wind shield and top will keep the wind off. It was 70 deg. today. I know I’m asking tons of questions. I haven’t seen many of these boats on the pages I’ve visited. I’ve seen earlier versions and Rogue II. Is this boat rare. I live on a Tidal Brackish River that leads to the Gulf of Mexico via Mobile Bay. I plan on putting plenty of hours on the Boat as we boat all season in this area. If this is rare to find a boat with all original parts with 320 HRS including all Paper Work and Owners Manual. Would it be taboo to use her at this point. It looks like a it could also be returned to Showroom Condition very easily. Is it worth more all original looking like a 320hr Boat or Restored. I’ve seen where restoring antiques can devalue an item. Can you tell I’m a little excited? I’m sure you guys have a name for over zealous rookies like me. LOL. We all think we’ve found a gold mine. I hope it’s not worth much right now. I want to have Zero guilt next Summer sporting this bad boy around Orange Beach or the PENSACOLA air Show watching the Blue angles in my $1000,00 boat, parked among $800,000+ Center Consoles, and getting all the attention. LOL!

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 5 months ago #138293

Do LU’s have impellers that need to be changed annually like outboards?

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 5 months ago #138294

Are you willing to sell the fuel pump? If so, if you’re on Face Book I could PM you or my number is 251-459-9586. I see there’s a chat feature as well on the forum. Most Pages have moved to a Facebook format and all the knowledge gets lost. It’s been some time since I’ve navigated pages such as this. If you do want to sell it I’ll buy it. I need one if you don’t it’s the least I could do for all the expert advise.

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 5 months ago #138295

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
First of all, I feel like an idiot. I just took a quick glance at the engine and thought it was a V6...too stupid to count the plug wires. Anyway, your boat is a good boat but not what you would call "in demand" and I've never run across anyone that was concerned about the originality of an OMC boat. For that reason, you can do just about anything to it without affecting the value. Anyone can do "bolt-on" engine work with a little research.

In brackish and/or salt water, you'll need to flush the engine with fresh water after every use. Allowing salt to find a home in the engine and outdrive is bad news. Also, be sure you have good sacrificial zincs in place.

My advice: Use the boat. Do whatever you choose to make it better or different. It's yours. As long as it's clean and trouble-free, at the price you paid, you'll always be able to get your money back if you decide to sell...and not many boat owners can do that.

"Success makes...

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 5 months ago #138296

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Don't rush into buying a whole bunch of stuff yet.
I can give you the part number of the fuel pump I have to make sure it will work on your motor.
And yes you will need a new water pump impeller.
You can send private messages on this site. If you look in the upper right hand corner you will see the link.

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 5 months ago #138297

That’s what I was hoping to hear. Im surprised they’re are so cheap. All of these classics seem cheap. I read that the Rogue 200 tops out at 45 and one gentleman remebers having 4 people in the boat pulling 2 skiers while doing 40. My daughter thinks it’s cool too. This whole industry seems undervalued. I can get 10 classics for what 1 pontoon would cost with just enough horse power to pull one tube with a four stroke engine. It wouldn’t look nearly as cool.

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 5 months ago #138298

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It sounds like you have some wonderful plans for that boat. Good for you. A lot of us here just enjoy the boats and bringing the old girls back to life and usable. Not to mention that you will be spending more time at the launch ramp talking with admirers than you will actually be on the water. Thumbs up all the time you are seen with it.
The part number on the fuel pump I have is 259C40514 it's an AC (GM). If you go on eBay you will find as you say that the parts are almost dirt cheap and most with free shipping. What gets pricey on the classics is when you have to replace things like windshields and maybe some of the chrome hardware if you want to stay original. Take care of that electric shift controller, they are getting pretty scarce and the lower unit by the propeller takes a very special oil that's made to protect the magnetic coils, it's Type "C" but pretty available almost anywhere. the bottle will say it's for electric shift units.

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 5 months ago #138301

Another possibility is a rebuild kit for the fuel pump? After looking on OMC SystemMatched Parts at the parts break down for the 1968 engines I found the OEM part number for the fuel pump #381688. Long since obsolete & $193 last price! OUCH. Nothing on eBay. They list a rebuild kit #381689. Found them on eBay for cheap!

The only thing that would worry me about this is the kit may not be ethanol resistant? I would assume the kit is NOS. keep in mind there are certain parts on Stern Drive motors that are different than automotive parts. Fuel pumps have vent pipes that go back to the carburetor. Carburetors have vent tubes that vent to the throats. Starters have brush covers & dampers on the solenoids to prevent sparks. Alternators have screens that stop sparks from igniting fuel vapors. All these things must be taken into consideration before just buying automotive parts. Also before modifying the engine for extra performance.
I only say these things because having been a factory service rep. I have seen it done before with disasterous results! Take it for what it's worth.

Dan in TN

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 5 months ago #138302

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions and the valuable advice.

I would also like to thank all the Moderators and Contributing Members that have taken the time to provide this resource. Certainly ,because of your efforts, many Fiberglassics have avoided the Landfill.

They are proudly entertaining owners and non-owners alike. They have style and beauty that, in their era, lacked the appreciation and awe they receive now and surely will as time passes.

My plan is to get her Detailed and Serviced and show her off in an upcoming event on the river where I live. The Dog River Christmas Boat Parade.
Then in the Spring throuought the Summer from Orange Beach to Destin there are plenty of Hang Outs like Robinson Islandand, in OBA and Destin Florida’s Beautiful Crab Island. Including, Events like the Pensacola Air Show featuring the Home Town Celebrities, The Blue Angels.

See Events and Destinations attached.

Blue Angels Pensacola Beach Air Show

Crab Island Destin, Florida

Orange Beach, AL, Crab Island Perdido Bay

Kind Regards,
Mark Mize
Attachments:

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 5 months ago #138308

Some of us like the electric shift (I call it a Fossil Drive), others hate it. I have 3 in my fleet now, a 1966 90DU 2 stoke, a 1967 120 and a 1969 V6 155. Just check and change the drive oil regularly as oil is cheaper than NLA parts. OMC impellers last for years. Change it out now because you don't know its history.
Regarding Nautilus' comment about keeping it original, I prefer as close as possible but I will tell you they have a very low resale value. What ever you do, consider it will be a labor of love, not as an investment.

One other item that I believe true but have never performed surgery to verify......
Early OMC (and Johnson/Evinrude) boats like the 17' Deluxe and the 1st version of the 16' tri-hull had fiberglass stringers. I do not believe the 14', 2nd version of the 16' tri-hull or the 19' did.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Check out www.omcboats.org/ and www.omc-boats.org/

Jim

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 5 months ago #138311

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Back in the day, ('80) I did have one of these and the floor was solid as a rock so I no reason to open it up. The problem I had is that the vertical driveshaft on the 800 broke right in the center of the shaft. Couldn't find a replacement so had it professionally welded. Never had a problem with it after. Might also suggest to change the oil in the tilt mechanism on the port side of the unit.
Jim. I do have a shifter and LU that work on a '69 60hp. I'm using it as a parts motor. Will be taking the control and LU to Tomahawk next year.

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 5 months ago #138314

I've got 2 control boxes, one new & one used plus a new lower unit assembly for the 90HP and one new empty gear case housing for it.
I pull the cover every year & drain the tilt pack. In later years they put a drain plug on that and the intermediate housing. What were they thinking not having a drain plug?
I don't think the 400/800 designation actually came until 1978 with the next generation mechanical shifts. I've never owned a mechanical shift, just 5 electric shifts.

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 5 months ago #138316

Thank you Jim. When you say control boxes are you referring to the throttle and push button shifter control assembly that Have a picture of? If so, would you want to sell one?
Everything I’m finding is for the 66 or 68. I’ve seen plenty of 67’ Sportsman. Very few examples of the Rogue 200 with the 300ci V8. Do you have an idea of why that may be? This convertible top was never used and all components are there. It does need a new Gas Tank if you know where an Original or Refurbished Original May be. I’ve only seen 4 examples of this boat. I’ve seen tons of 68’s Rogue II. I’m using her. I easy to try to keep her looking nice.

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 4 months ago #138348

All the I/O controls were wired the same from the 1962 thru 1977. Johnson were single lever, Evinrude were push button. Also the same as the early electric shift outboards. The thru hub exhaust outboards (late 60's thru 1972) were wired differently as they failed into forward gear & all the electric shift I/Os failed into neutral.

The 16' Sportsman was the most popular of all the boats, regardless if outboard or I/O. Johnson was called a Reveler. The 19 wasn't as popular regardless of brand.

As for the fuel tank, You'll have to do some measuring & order a similar aluminum or plastic replacement.

BTW, for some reason your posts show up on my computer like this:
Thank you Jim. When you say control boxes are you referring to the throttle and push button shifter control assembly that Have a picture of? If so, would you want to sell one?
Everything I’m finding is for the 66 or 68. I’ve seen plenty of 67’ Sportsman. Very few examples of the Rogue 200 with the 300ci V8. Do you have an idea of why that may be? This convertible top was never used and all components are there. It does need a new Gas Tank if you know where an Original or Refurbished Original May be. I’ve only seen 4 examples of this boat. I’ve seen tons of 68’s Rogue II. I’m using her. I easy to try to keep her looking nice.

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 4 months ago #138392

Thank you for the info. Its when I use a apostrophe or other characters. It may be because Im using a phone. Not Sure.

I’ve gotten her home. I didn’t know my friend had the boat for 2 years. He sold it to me cheap (I bought a trailer and got a boat free! 😂. I’ll be cleaning it tomorrow. I did find a few surprises. Full Convertible Evinrude cover with Zip in Plastic needs to be cleaned. We started the Motor, Light Bulbs, Original Service Manual, Windshield 3pin Anchor Light, Accessory Installation Manual, etc.

Wanted: Original Gas Cap, Fuel Pump or Kit,
Original Gas Tank or Instructions for Coating. The Company I work for has a Specialty Coatings Division. They probably have something to use. The tank looks fine externally. Here are a few pics. The trailer was purchased in the late 80’s. But only hit the water once. That’s when the Second Owner purchased the boat. I may need to raise the rollers and supports an inch or more. It’s very close to the Finder.

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 4 months ago #138433

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Interesting sightings post I made you might want to see. Parts??
See the "sightings" post.

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 4 months ago #138444

Saber,
There’s all sorts of things I could use. I’ll send you $200. I’m in a tree stand text 251-459-9586. How close?

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 4 months ago #138445

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Let me go look at it first and take some pictures if it's still available.
Freezing cold here now in Green Bay, Wi area.
Bow hunting I presume??

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 4 months ago #138446

I can’t find a gas cap. I’m going to try to make it 100% Original. The Port light is cracked. I’d like to have the LU. Did I tell you I have the original top and plastic? The plastic looked bad. As I opened it I noticed it has never been used. Just dirt and mold. I’m going to try and post a pic. Could you use any parts or the whole trailer? I’d like to have a spare control unit. If you are interested. I’ll buy it. I’ve only washed it so far. I do know it runs and shifts. I can have it shipped to me or you can have it. My chrome on the wind shield wiper motor is corroded a little. Email me if you can. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:

Picking up the 1967 Evinrude Rogue 5 years 4 months ago #138448

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Good news, Bad news.

Good news is the boat is sold but the trailer itself was probably worth the price.
Bad news is it's a POS. Even I wouldn't buy it and that says a lot.
Ball gears were practically non existant. motor had parts missing. (four banger)

• Page:
Time to create page: 3.459 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)