Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 18 year layover for an Evinrude 120

18 year layover for an Evinrude 120 5 years 5 months ago #138123

I am in the process of restoring a '59 Dorsett Catalina that I acquired without an engine. A friend of mine offered to loan me his 1994 Evinrude 120 (E120TLERC) to use short-term until I found a permanent replacement. However, the motor has sat unused since September of 2000. So here is my question: I want to start off with a general visual inspection of the motor, check the condition of the gear oil, and then do a compression check. What should I use to fog the cylinders with before I turn it over? Also, what about the crank and rod bearings? Given that they would normally get lubricated by the oil in the fuel, do I need to so something to protect them before I spin the motor to do the compression check? Any other words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 year layover for an Evinrude 120 5 years 5 months ago #138124

New impeller

18 year layover for an Evinrude 120 5 years 5 months ago #138125

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Ditto with Tomahawk, a new water impeller is a must. The rubber after 18 years of sitting is more than likely stiff and brittle. Get a can of fogging oil spray at any store that sells auto stuff maybe even walleyworld has it. And yes...it's actually called fogging oil.
Take out the plugs and give the cylinders a generous blast. About the bearings I've never given them much thought when just spinning for a comp check. Might not hurt to spray some of that oil in carb. Open the choke and butterfly(s) and shoot some in there while spinning over. Just a suggestion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DorsettBill

18 year layover for an Evinrude 120 5 years 5 months ago #138138

Thanks for the info. I agree, the impeller is a given, along with cleaning the carbs, before trying to actually start the motor. Can anyone think of anything that I should look for on the initial inspection and compression check go-round>

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)