• Page:

TOPIC: Gelcoat help on my '60 Clipper!

Gelcoat help on my '60 Clipper! 13 years 8 months ago #13214

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
I've finally gotten the inside to the point of putting it back together but now it's time for the hull.

Here are a few pics.

These are after I have scrubbed the whole boat with Comet and a scotch brite pad, used some Attwood hull cleaner and wet sanded the first (upper) strake with 400 grit.

Here's my question- How do I get the whole hull to look like what was under the registration numbers? Can I even get there?

You can see it's shining up nicely but it's really dingy looking still. It was never a bright white. I think it was always an off white, by what was under the numbers, I guess to blend better with the Mahogany.

I'd rather not have to paint her. The wife also would like it in the water by the end of the month! Ouch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Gelcoat help on my '60 Clipper! 13 years 8 months ago #13219

bob i have never used sandpaper besides 1500 or 2000 grit,and wetsand,then use a buffer with a light or medium rubbing compuond,i think 400 grit is too heavy.by the way try a product called "purple power"1st,it takes all grime off the boat,but becarful and rinse repeatedly,also wear water proof gloves,that stuff if you use it straight for any leangth of time will take your skin off,lol,i know from experiance,cleaning my camper with it.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Gelcoat help on my '60 Clipper! 13 years 8 months ago #13227

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
I should probably mention that the gelcoat is pretty oxidized. It comes off chalky on my fingers. Just lightly but it does come off.

Re:Gelcoat help on my '60 Clipper! 13 years 8 months ago #13237

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

Here's my question- How do I get the whole hull to look like what was under the registration numbers? Can I even get there?

Bob, it looks to me like you're on the right track. I think John is generally right about the grit to use, but I don't see any sanding marks in what you have done so far, so ??? (Maybe would make for a little less polishing/buffing if you stepped up to 1000.)

The area under the reg. numbers has been protected from the sunlight (uv rays) all these years, you may never get it completely back to that. You can get it pretty darn close though.....It probably WAS a light sand / off white to start with. Keep up the good work, and get ready for some bigger arm muscles! LOL

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted