Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Larson Falls Flyer 1956?

Larson Falls Flyer 1956? 5 years 7 months ago #137499

Just picked up what appears to be somewhere around a 1956 Larson Falls Flyer. Looks mainly complete, and I plan to restore it not necessarily to museum quality, but to usable-but-aesthetically-pleasing quality. To that end, just looking for advice and general do's or don'ts regarding this type of boat. There are few obvious items like re-chroming hardware etc, but my first issue to address is likely the 3 screw holes beneath the waterline that look like they may have been from an old speedometer or something similar (see second photo below). Also, there are some superficial cracks at the top of the transom (though the transom itself feels solid) and likely those could be reinforced. As for paint, it almost looks like it was either hand-painted, or 'refreshed' by hand at one point. I suppose I should scrape and repaint... Anything else I should particularly watch out for or avoid or? Yes, I realize this is a totally open ended question, and for that I apologize. I already have a voicemail in to John Monahan who has restored several of these himself.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Larson Falls Flyer 1956? 5 years 7 months ago #137514

You're in good hands with John Monahan. I know him personally as do several others on this site. I don't think anyone knows more about Falls Flyers than John. I recommend that you be patient. It sometimes takes John awhile to get back to you.
Ron Pickett
Rochester, MN

Larson Falls Flyer 1956? 3 years 9 months ago #142693

After a long period of information gathering, and a healthy dose of procrastination, I've started on the flyer. After some inspection, the transom is indeed rotten, and I've begun cutting that out to replace it. I'll also be strengthening the fiberglass joint between the floor/sole and the wooden "skeleton" for lack of a better term. I'll be patching some stress cracks topside with chopped mat, and likely doing another whole layer of glass on the bottom for extra strength (the kind folks at Express Composites were kind enough to recommend a product that would actually provide that strength.) So far, I'm mostly tearing it down to get it 'bare' to start glass. Here we go...
Attachments:

Larson Falls Flyer 1956? 3 years 9 months ago #142734

yes dido on taking your time, do a little stand back if it looks good go ahead, but take your time, you'll enjoy it,.
took me 13 years mainly money and deciding which way to go on something, but i think i took the time to do it right.
do what you feel is right for you.

good luck billy

Larson Falls Flyer 1956? 3 years 9 months ago #142756

I cut the old transom out today. Pretty rotten. Looks like originally there was a wedge of 3/4 ply directly beneath the motor, and the rest of the piece (aside from thicker under-members near the deck that the ski eyelets bolted through) was only 1/4" ply. Maybe just a sheet of 1/4 ply in front of the 3/4 wedge actually. Might beef the whole thing up a bit. I had someone else tell me they filled those back cavities with foam before putting in the new transom. Wonder if that's worth it?
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6284 guests and 2 members online