Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Vintage (1958?) Johnson 35HP for restoration

Vintage (1958?) Johnson 35HP for restoration 5 years 8 months ago #137311

I've been trading notes with a cousin who lives in Ontario about a 35HP Johnson that has been in storage at our family cottage on a lake in the Bancroft area. After my parents passed on he took over the cottage and the engine came with it.

He is interested in finding someone interested in the engine as part of a vintage restoration project or as a museum piece. I don't know if he is looking for much/any money for the engine, I expect it is more that he wants a good home for it if there is an interest and that it could be had for the price of shipping.

He tells me the engine can be turned over using the pull cord, but I know nothing more of its current condition or what it would take to make it operational beyond the comments in his note to me that are pasted below. For the right project, I think this could be an interesting solution.
  • "Here are a few photos to show the condition of the Sea-horse. Nothing has been done to polish this up, but I think a lot of this mold and rust is very superficial. Since the motor was retired in working order, I don’t think it would take too much to get it running again, in the hands of an experienced mechanic or restorer.

I have the controller and the cables, two gas tanks and fuel lines. I think there are a few props in the attic too, that I could bring out next trip."

What I know of the motors history is that it was retired in full working order in 1972 when replaced by a 65HP Evinrude. My dad bought it new on a 16' Peterborough cedar strip that, sadly, met its end in a Viking funeral in the mid 70's when rot got to the point he that he replaced her (I think sped up by having too much power on her for her last few years that accelerated the deterioration of frames and transom). Dad was an engineer and loved things mechanical, so the engine was in good condition when retired and had had a full rebuild ~1969. I expect that he also did a good job of prepping it for storage, although I don't know that he ever had plans to do anything with it - he just couldn't bring himself to let it go, so it has sat in pretty much the same place until just recently. (his passion didn't extend to wooden boat restoration unfortunately, which is why the Viking funeral for the boat).

My question to the forum is whether there is anyone interested in the motor or who has suggestions / knowledge on where my cousin might find the best home for the engine or could advertise it.

I've attached current photos of the engine along with a picture of the engine on our boat on the Bay of Quinte (Lake Ontario nr Belleville) ~1960 to show what she looked like in her prime.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)