• Page:

TOPIC: fiberglassic prices

fiberglassic prices 14 years 2 months ago #1320

• strobee
  • strobee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Bruce mentioned in a post that we are going to want to get a handle on the prices of our fiberglassics. I think it would be interesting if a chart was started with a list of boats there condition and what they sold for.
Examples:
57 Skagit Express 175HP Johnson restored to better than new. $3300
59 Skagti Skimaster 65HP Merc with bad cylinder,Galvanized trailer in very nice original shape. $700 61 or 62 Powercat 14T 80HP Merc DR with trailer. Transom solid needs steering. windsheild broke, engine is not running. $200
61 or 62 Powercat 14T Merc 450 same as the previous one. $200
62 Anthony Jet Cat 75HP Evinrude, Galvanized trailer. Trim is very nice, gel coat and paint good, windsheild good, needs floor and stringers. $500
These are boats that I have bought. I don't regret buying any of them. I don't know if I made a good deal on any of them, but I am happy with them so that is all that matters. Clint

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:fiberglassic prices 14 years 2 months ago #1324

Clint - of the boats of yours that I've seen - I think you've done fine on what you paid. I'm really wondering what other collectors are selling things for, and a lot of folks don't want to divulge that info.

Re:fiberglassic prices 14 years 2 months ago #1334

It's all over the board and makes little sense. Very difficult to do at this time.

Re:fiberglassic prices 14 years 2 months ago #1337

Lemme see, I got my '62 Power Cat 14T, just the boat, no motor or trailer for $200. Boat was in rough shape.

Got some kind of old boat (can't remember) with a '63 Merc 1000 on a trailer for free. Old boat and trailer given away. That motor combined with a parts motor I picked up for $125 and a lot of work became the power for the Power Cat.

Got a '59 Arkansas Traveler on a trailer with E'rude controls for $100. Gave the boat/trailer away after I stripped the controls and gave them to crosbyboat.

Got a '67 G3 on a trailer with a '65 Merc 650 for $75. Put another $75 in it (at least!), sold it to g3jim for $175.

Got 4 old trailers for free too, fixed one up to keep, sold another, fixed one up (new bearings, lights, paint, etc.) and gave to crosbyboat, have one left (a nice old Holsclaw) I will restore and sell maybe this year.

Just thinking about it, I think maybe I got a couple other old boats for free. No motors, but stripped what I could from the boats, kept the trailers. Hmm, memory is going...

That's about it for me!

Frank

Re:fiberglassic prices 14 years 2 months ago #1340

strobee wrote:

These are boats that I have bought. I don't regret buying any of them. I don't know if I made a good deal on any of them, but I am happy with them so that is all that matters. Clint

That's all that matters Clint.

As has been said here many times before, they are worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

Has alot to do with timing and presentation as well for a restored boat. I personally don't think anyone is getting rich on restoring these, unless they are a very good salesman and happen to be in the right place at the right time. It happens.

In my opinion, the more unique looking boats, such as those with the big fins or headlights are always going to have a higher potential as far as price goes.

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:fiberglassic prices 14 years 2 months ago #1350

I got the itch 4 years ago. First Glassic is
my 61 Glass Magic WildCat.Barn Find in Texas with
61 Evinrude Lark III 40 hp.Engine looked never used.w/tilt trailer
$3200.

Next is My 59 Lake & Sea Carribean. Found in weeds with 59 Johnson Super SeaHorse on Tee Nee trailer,In my Gallery.
$ 200. The prices are all over the board.
Attachments:

Re:fiberglassic prices 14 years 2 months ago #1355

lets see the larson thunderhawk I still have since 2003 traded my my moms old accord for it no motor on hawk just a trailer and a hull.
59 lake and sea free from lady who wanted it gone sold her my wifes ford festiva after I let her know the car blocking the boat that she ran out of oil and motor is dust.
cutter avon got it for free from guy who wanted it out of his driveway after building inspectors giving him a hard time sold it later.
Then came two more thunderhawks one i gave to a friend one I sold to paul larsons granddaughter 1,200 with merc 800 and trailer
then came the span america scarest riding boat i ever been brought it for 300.00 sold it for 750.00 to buy skagit express cruiser
then came the hydrocycle barracuda for 150.00 added 58 18 johnson and pressure tank now total investment 450.00

Re:fiberglassic prices 14 years 2 months ago #1362

1959 Whitehouse - FREE! (then the real cost of restoration)
1959 Crestliner Arabian with TeeNee, Merc 58A - $375.00
1960 Crestliner Arabian on MasterCraft, Merc Dockbuster - $700
1958 Feathercraft with 80's Merc Mariner - $750
1970's Glastron with Merc 1400, good trailer - $25

Note: none of these prices include the cost of parts, materiels, restoration! Add in the hours of fun figuring them out and they are priceless!

Hello, World!!

Re: fiberglassic prices 13 years 10 months ago #8812

EDITED

Please contact the desired individual directly via Private Message

Re:fiberglassic prices 13 years 10 months ago #8817

one and one only...1960 customcraft mantaray, solid floor and transom, merc 700,custom trailer...$3,000.00
restoration cost $7,000+...yep i'm crazy!
Attachments:

Re: fiberglassic prices 13 years 10 months ago #8819

gargoyle wrote:

EDITED

Please contact the desired individual directly via Private Message

My opinion...I'd rater see a few off-topic posts than this all over the board.

EDIT, DELETE, whatever you want...that's just my opinion.

P.S. I was interested in this post, now I just don't know...

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:fiberglassic prices 13 years 10 months ago #8820

Prices ought to be private. Frankly, there's no reason to them. Some of what I have spent small fortunes on to restore have brought less than half my investment when sold. Others about break even. Rarely does a glass boat make money. The saying goes, the second owner wins. There are some exceptions. I think that John Gambill's Lida Rose will command good money. Rare boat, quality restoration, great lines. I don't think Herters are bringing big money. I think those boats would be a PIA to spend a day boating in them. It is what the market and buyer will bear. If you find someone who really wants your boat, you're lucky. Otherwise you get what you can for it.

Re:fiberglassic prices 13 years 10 months ago #8822

There is no money to be made at this.
Having some general guideline might help a person when negotiating a purchase, but even that is really irrelevant.
Because somebody paid X for a boat on their side of the world on that day has little bearing on what Y should pay today in their world.
Pay as little as possible because if you restore it you will be upside down other than - as Brian said - a handful of unusual examples. Heck, even wood isn't bringing it's cost back in today's market and look at the incredible effort that's gone into making a market for wood boats!

Restore something you love - a boat that means something to you...because to do it for any other reason makes no financial sense.

That said - if you buy something nice and original that can be buffed up and made attractive...and you buy it right...you can make a little. See anything offered by Steve Stevenson. He works full time at finding and buying right - then detailing and shining - and he makes out. But notice he doesn't do restorations.
Learn from the master :~)

JMO

Peter

Re:fiberglassic prices 13 years 10 months ago #8832

Pete nailed it. Here's my worst ever. Bought my 1958 Crosby Capri for $800. Almost $15,000 invested in its restoration. Sold for $5500. Anyone wishing investment advice, email me.

Re:fiberglassic prices 13 years 10 months ago #8835

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I suppose it's like the wine business... A joke amongst vintners is

"How do you make a small fortune in the Wine Business?"

"Easy, Invest a large fortune".

It's the same with boats, for sure... There are probably a few out there that manage to make a buck or two, but it's more a labor of love.

I paid $350 for my 1960 Glasspar Citation, with original gator trailer and 1959 evinrude 'fat 50'. Since then, I replaced the stringers, floor, transom, and a ton of other projects. I estimate I'll be $1,700-$2,000 in material costs by the time I'm done- And countless hours of labor. Even if I did sell it and make a 'profit', if I divided that profit by the number of hours spent between research, planning, and actual work, I'd be better off moving to India and working in a call center.

But- I wouldn't have a really cool boat with great classic lines :)

-Andrew

Re:fiberglassic prices 13 years 10 months ago #8845

• Amigoid
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
1981 Nordic Bubbledeck 18' Six Seater outboard.
Included working trailer, skis, kneeboards, lifejackets, ropes, spare parts, wetsuits, new battery, and many other good items.
1975 Merc 1500 outboard which has needed about $500 so far in service work. (including pre-purchase inspection)

Seller wanted $2000
Gave seller bid on our roof replacement, so he got the commission.

Final purchase price $1500 for everything.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)