Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fill'in holes

Fill'in holes 5 years 10 months ago #136544

Good day all. I have a question. I have the deck of my redfish separated from the hull and am ready to fill all of the various screw holes ect. in preparation for refinishing. Is it better to grind (feather) and fill the holes from the inside of the deck or should I grind and fill from the exterior? Or does it not matter? Once all the holes are filled, the entire boat will be sanded down, faired and painted. Any incite would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fill'in holes 5 years 10 months ago #136546

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Welcome aboard. Filling those holes are easy peasy. Here's what I do. Put a small patch of glass matt or cloth on the back side of the hole. Feather the outside of the hole on the outside, if you don't do the feathering that dang hole will show up like a bad penny. Then fill the hole with your favorite filler, Bondo type stuff, finish it off with auto body putty that comes in a tube then you can blend the entire area when you finish off the rest of the boat.

The larger holes in these photos were backed up with a complete new board behind the dash so don't get mislead.

Good luck with your project.
Attachments:

Fill'in holes 5 years 10 months ago #136552

for screw holes in mine, I was planning on drilling them with a 90 degree countersink or 45 degree chamfer router bit to give the filler more surface area to hold on too. Or is that a bad idea ?

Fill'in holes 5 years 10 months ago #136553

Another way that I like is to countersink each hole then use that two part epoxy that looks like a tootsie roll. You can buy it a Napa it's a small roll inside of the roll is one color the outside is a different color and you cut off about a quarter of an inch knee it until it's the same color and stuff the hole leaving it a little proud and then sand it down to what you want.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7379 guests and 3 members online