Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rocket Keel Repair

Rocket Keel Repair 6 years 3 months ago #135318

Happy New Year everyone! The keel on the Rocket has been damaged by the trailer rollers. Perhaps from not securing the boat while transporting? Anyway, I anticipate removing the bottom of the keel, cleaning out the rotten stringer, and replacing it with some 'space-age' foam poly board that is now available. Any advice on this type of repair? And would it be ok to remove the engine and windshield(to be replaced anyway) slide the boat off the trailer, then roll it over on the lawn to gain better access to the bottom? it seems like the top/deck/seats would provide enough rigidity to avoid damage by rolling it over. Any input/better method of doing this? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rocket Keel Repair 6 years 3 months ago #135364

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
It would be next to impossible to do any keel repair from the inside on this model. The deck, bow, seat and stern flotation all would have to be cut out. That being said I think you have the right idea of flipping and just grinding off the bottom of the keel. Leave the sides of the keel intact. I've never had to do this but you should be able to dig out any gunk to be replaced. Use the new materials and then fill any voids with resin and then put about 7 layers of glass cloth and mat alternated to build it back up.
OH ya.... take the windshield, motor and any bling that would break off before you flip it. I can guarantee that the stern flotation area is filled with wet soggy foam. Cut an access hole from above and just pull the stuff out. I cut a square out (it's 3/8" plywood) that when I dried everything out I replace the square with hinges and use the area for storage.
Attachments:

Rocket Keel Repair 6 years 3 months ago #135373

OK, thanks for the advice. You are Great! I am anxious to get started!

• Page:
Time to create page: 2.134 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)