Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fuel Question

Fuel Question 13 years 8 months ago #13104

New member, glad to be here, first post so hopefully this isn't asked all the time...

I recently got my grandfather's 72 MFG Gypsie fixed up and back in the water for the first time since 94. Question is do you need to add lead to the gas for older motors? (73' Johnson) I've been adding Stabil to the gas but he is concerned unleaded gas will cause valve problems. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Fuel Question 13 years 8 months ago #13106

Nope...just a good quality gas and TCW3 rated oil at the proper ratio...sta-bil if its gonna be sitting for a while.

Tell your grandfather that 2 strokes dont have any valves...at least, not of the conventional 4 stroke type... :P

Re:Fuel Question 13 years 8 months ago #13118

Here on the Oregon coast we have a ready supply of alcohol free dune buggy fuel. Premium unleaded. Unleaded with alcohol has casued tons of problems with gas lines etc breaking into little pieces and clogging carbs etc. I understand that airplane gas, while pricey, is excellent 2 cycle gas also. Mike on the Oregon coast.

Re:Fuel Question 13 years 8 months ago #13140

No lead is good. Back in the day, Mercury & OMC suggested that people use unleaded White Gas... AKA camp stove fuel. Lead created deposits in the piston ring grooves & cloged the exhaust ports.

Re:Fuel Question 13 years 8 months ago #13147

Like Mike says, ethanol is the thing to worry about. When you have some down time, if you haven't already, rebuild your fuel system with ethanol resistant materials. Fuel injection fuel line is best, and most current carb and fuel pump kits come with ethanol-resistant gaskets and stuff.

Good luck!

Frank

Re:Fuel Question 13 years 8 months ago #13149

Love that year engine. MarkS on this board has a 115HP. I have a 65HP (Evinrude). What HP is yours. Pics please.
On mine I replaced all fuel components. If you have not done so already, consider it.
I am on my second season now. I use nothing but 87 Octane (10% ethanol here in CT) and Walmart TCW-3.

Re:Fuel Question 13 years 8 months ago #13594

I have a 65 as well, i'm having trouble posting pics on here I think it's an operator error

Re:Fuel Question 13 years 8 months ago #13611

Lead was all a big money making scam back in the "old days" anyway. I have been working on cars 15 years, including many classic and vintage cars and never ran lead. I remember in Tech school my instructor telling us how it would actually ruin a motor because it was highly corossive. Dupont I think was the company in bed with the government making money off the lead additive in fuel. There is an article about it somewhere.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)