Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I drilled a hole in my boat...... now what?

I drilled a hole in my boat...... now what? 13 years 9 months ago #12546

OK, no sniggers! I have a 58 15' Playstyle, it has one of those drains in the middle of the floor. It's spring loaded and doesn't really work all that well at draining the water especially at the back of the boat. Soooooooo I purchased a 1" brass drain tube and proceeded to drill a big ol' hole in my boat. Well, I'm about 1/4" above the floor level. Should I just install it or fill the hole with some epoxy and cloth and then redrill the hole?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:I drilled a hole in my boat...... now what? 13 years 9 months ago #12549

Re:I drilled a hole in my boat...... now what? 13 years 9 months ago #12558

I agree. You're going to need a little space anyway as the new drain tube should be straight on one end and rolled on the other. You need to measure the length needed to go through the transom, add bit more (like 1/8 to 1/4 inch), cut your tube, goop it with 3M 5200 insert it and then use a special tool that will roll and crimp the cut end over and provide a nice seal inside and out.

Re:I drilled a hole in my boat...... now what? 13 years 9 months ago #12560

By the way, you don't necessarily need the special tool I loaned crosbyboat to install a drain tube. The tubes will come with one finished end, you cut the other end off to leave 1/8" to 3/16" exposed inside the boat, then gently crimp it down with a small ball end hammer (after it has set well in 5200 bedding) where you can get at it, and/or an appropriate sized punch and small hammer. Just take your time, and move around the tube methodically. It needs to be bedded well 1st, or make sure the exterior end maintains tightness to the transom.

A mistake often made in installation of drain tubes is too tight a fit. Too tight a fit will crimp the tube on installation, making a good seal nigh impossible. You want the tube to fit in a non-interference manner such that the 5200 can completely seal the tube. 5200, once dry, will pretty much insure you will never get that tube out.

Best of luck with it.

Frank

Re:I drilled a hole in my boat...... now what? 13 years 9 months ago #12603

Thank you for the feedback. I was ......... conflicted. I've owned boats most of my adult life and have learned to deal with it. This one had me sideways. I had to pack everything up and go watch some television!

The hole is a bit oversize for the reason suggested. (it's seems much smaller now for some reason). The 5200 is on the bench awaiting my return.

Frank: Cool! I will do that when the 5200 is cured!

Re:I drilled a hole in my boat...... now what? 13 years 9 months ago #12615

No big secret, it's the way most of them were done years ago. Take your time and no one will ever know. Good luck!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

noimage
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)