Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bowman Boats

Bowman Boats 14 years 2 months ago #1236

Hey Doug,
How's it going? I've got the 1956, 1957, and 1958 catalogs. Bowman boats used to be featured in the Johnson and Evinrude catalogs also. I've actually got one out on my beach. It's a 1956 model. I pulled it up off of the bottom of the lake quite a few years ago. Fiberglass hull and wood deck. The hull was made in a hydraulic press with matching dies, much like the MFG boats, only these were made by GoodYear's Marine Division. GoodYear first introduced these hulls in 1954 and then went out looking for companies to finish and sell them. Bowman had been building cedar strip boats before the link to the GoodYear hulls. They also had some aluminum boats. Let me know what you need. I'll have to find it.

Lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Bowman Boats 14 years 2 months ago #1248

That's great Lee!
I am not certain what year, but for some reason I am pretty sure it was a 57. When you geta chance to pull it up I would appreciate it. No hurry though. Also, if you wanted to scan all of them sometime and post I'll grab them and set up a Bowman section in the wiki. Thanks!
Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Bowman Boats 14 years 2 months ago #1373

I have a 61 Bowman 14' runabout. Not much info found so I would appreciate anything you have also Lee. Thanks!
Attachments:

Re:Bowman Boats 14 years 2 months ago #1385

mark_61 wrote:

I have a 61 Bowman 14' runabout. Not much info found so I would appreciate anything you have also Lee. Thanks!

Cool looking boat. I'd like to see more pics if you have some!

Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Bowman Boats 14 years 2 months ago #1396

More pics after painting this spring but here's a side view.

Mark
Attachments:

Re:Bowman Boats 14 years 2 months ago #1537

Hi Mark,
This is from March of 1958.

Lee
Attachments:

Re:Bowman Boats 14 years 2 months ago #1546

Hey thanks Lee!

This is the first printed info I've seen on this company. I think 1961 may have been the last year bowman boats were made but not sure of that. Guess it could have been made in La. rather than Little Rock.
It's a very solid boat with all glass stringers and not much wood (cockpit floor & transom core). Replaced the floor because it was wavy but transom is good. Got any pics Of the 56 from the lake bottom? Would love to see any other info and pics on these boats when you can. Thanks again Lee.

Mark
Attachments:

Re:Bowman Boats 14 years 2 months ago #1556

I have a 1957 brochure, price list, and letter from sales manager Jim Cassil of Bowman Manufacturers, Inc. Address was 1823 Woodrow in Little Rock, Ark. The back of the price lists shows marine safety equipment with prices FOB Arkansas or North Carolina factory.

The brochure shows the Goodyear plastic hulls, aluminum boats, plywood hulls, fiberglass and aluminum fishing boats, boat trailers, and accessoriwes for boating.

Trailers were from a factory in Indiana.

I will scan and post, but it may be many, many weeks from now. I have tons of stuff to scan in line ahead of this.

Andreas

Re:Bowman Boats 14 years 2 months ago #1558

Sounds good Andreas. Thanks!

Re:Bowman Boats 13 years 8 months ago #14230

• Ted
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, Ted here, Have been working on an old Bowman this year. Any idea of what model it is? My boat was built for an executive with Bowman here in Little Rock. Hard to find any documentation...
Attachments:

Re:Bowman Boats 13 years 8 months ago #14292

• Ted
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, We have an old Bowman that was kept in a boat house until just a few years ago. The previous owner left it outside resulting in the need to completely replace the rear seats and refinish the wood. We are not sure of the year, but believe it to be around 1956. Maybe the Havana model.. If you have the original catalogs, does it show pictures of the models? If so, would it be possible to purchase a copy from you? We will be storing it in an antique boat house next to where it has lived for the last 45 years.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)