Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seller Beware

Seller Beware 13 years 9 months ago #12260

We would like all to beware that there is a person out there that we thought was willing to buy our 1958 Dorsett Monterey Cabin Cruiser, the cashiers check however was fake. Going by the name as Dean Taylor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Seller Beware 13 years 9 months ago #12272

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks for giving everybody the "heads up" on this guy Patty, that's the second one this year!

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/support/beware-of-scammers-phishing-etc

Mark

Re:Seller Beware 13 years 9 months ago #12273

Hey guys,

This is a classic Nigerian scam.

Just be sure to note that most of the time these are faked email addresses and the spelling is usually poor.

If you have and own a classic boat, you can probably read and write good English, so keep this in mind.

I can't tell you how many millions I have won from long lost relatives who have tracked me down.

Whew....

Re:Seller Beware 13 years 9 months ago #12289

Postal Money orders are all I'll accept - aside from cash of which I am also skeptical

Re:Seller Beware 13 years 9 months ago #12301

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
A friend of mine got caught up in this scam not too long ago- He's an older guy, and not exactly what you'd call 'internet savvy'. He'd been trying to sell a BIG wooden sailboat for a long time, and was really excited when he finally got a great full price offer.

The buyer needed the boat shipped- overseas- and included all that in the cashiers check that he sent. Shipping arrangements were made, and the shipping company that was to pick it up was at the marina loading the boat when the check bounced!

He was out a couple grand, the shipping company had sent a truck and trailer to get the boat, and he still had to pay for that. But, At least he didn't loose more- AND the boat. I've heard of that happening, too!

-Andrew

Re:Seller Beware 13 years 9 months ago #12303

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I've heard that even money orders that clear can be 'revoked', with the buyer claiming they never got what they paid for, but I have no idea how they can 'pull' that money back out of a bank account once it clears.

And by now I hope eveyone has one of those marking pens to check for conterfeit money. I've yet to hear that counterfieters have gotten around that, I heard they figured out a way to laminate the security tape stripe in the middle, tho.

And, Patty, sorry to hear of your troubles. What is the status of this as of today?

Re:Seller Beware 13 years 9 months ago #12306

We are not to sure what to do as of now. I have reported the fraud to my email service and posted the warning on here. We have nothing but a name that iam sure is made up. We are just hopping the transport agent hasnt been contacted and we get responsible for that.

Re:Seller Beware 13 years 9 months ago #12307

Our potential buyer had very good writing skills so that wouldnt have helped us here.

Re:Seller Beware 13 years 9 months ago #12309

He could have been a local.
I don't know about now, but a few years ago many title companies wouldn't take cashiers checks at closings because of rampant fraud and counterfeit.

Re:Seller Beware 13 years 9 months ago #12311

Our company has had several cashiers checks and money orders "bounce".

Remember that over 100 banks went out of business last year alone. They are just as likely to go under in today's fragile economy.

Just remember if someone is willing to pay full price and even suggest a company pick up your item.....just pass on the offer.

Hope things work out.

"Hey big man...let me hold a dollar"
The Big Show

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)