Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Information on a 1965 14 ft Starcraft

Information on a 1965 14 ft Starcraft 13 years 9 months ago #12106

I'm new to boats as well as this site, I think I done this without a life jacket. I liked the boat, it's old and I got it cheap enough. Somehow I thought it was like restoring an old car.

I bought (from what I can tell) a 1965 Starcraft Jupiter 5. The engine is an 1964 Evinrude 45 hp power according to the model # I researched on a site. The previous owner took the ignition switch out left the wiring dangling. It also looks like the 3 Stooges attempted to rewire some of the lights too. Is there anywhere I can get a diagram on what went where on the switch? Online, Books, etc. Do I look for the engine or boat literature?

Also, where does one go to find parts for old boats?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Information on a Starcraft Jupiter 13 years 9 months ago #12108

hilly 7 ,hopefully,"delray" will chime in here ,hes a real fan of starcrafts,and might be able to help.im also pretty sure that there is a starcraft group,ill look to see if i can find them.
this is a pic of my 64 seaking cabin cruiser,that was sold by montgomery wards,but made by starcraft.

Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Information on a Starcraft Jupiter 13 years 9 months ago #12110

here is their email,they are a group on yahoo. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
and here is another site on vintage starcrafts alatin.info/about-vintage-starcraft-boats/
there is also alot about starcraft boats in the library here on fiberglasscs,i would start there 1st,its at the top of the page,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Information on a Starcraft Jupiter 13 years 9 months ago #12113

Thank you for the links. I did find out on another site that it isn't a Jupiter as I thought because it is a fiberglass and the Jupiter is aluminum. You've got a beautiful boat in the picture John.

Hopefully I can get this one fixed and in the water this year. Then this winter do the touch-ups. I think this site has manuals they sell on the engine, going to buy one of those. I would love to find original parts or recreas of them. I'd like for it to keep the character it has. Already my hats is off to boat people, restoring cars is a lot easier.

I just saw a brochure. Could it be the Skylark? The brochure says fiberglass and it is 14 ft long, same as the one I have. The seats and back look the same.

Re:Information on a Starcraft Jupiter 13 years 9 months ago #12115

Scratch that, read a bit more and the Skylark is a sail boat. The Rivera.

Re:Information on a 1965 14 ft Starcraft 13 years 9 months ago #12123

thanks hilly,but i sold that cabin cruiser and i am now working on a 64 custom craft sunray.and here are some scans i have from the 63 and 64 montgomery wards catalog,they were made by starcraft,look to see if you notice any simularities .
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:Information on a 1965 14 ft Starcraft 13 years 9 months ago #12130

Now that is a sharp boat. Did it come out with the lights like that or were they added afterward? That is extremely sharp.

On the ad, it sort of looks like either the red or the blue except for the dash is different. The back definitely looks like the set-up by the engine. I don't know if they were all like that. The back of mine has some holes where something is missing but not the front. On the pictures it shows something on the back.

Re:Information on a 1965 14 ft Starcraft 13 years 9 months ago #12150

hilly it came with headlights,and all the lights still work,after47 years,even the dash lights.

---Mark Twain

Re:Information on a 1965 14 ft Starcraft 13 years 9 months ago #12156

the more i look at that pic, the more i would be afraid to take it off the trailer. ron

Re:Information on a 1965 14 ft Starcraft 13 years 9 months ago #12158

Hilly, my best advice to you is to buy "Runabout Renovation: How to Find and Fix Up an Old Fiberglass Speedboat" by Jim Anderson. It is a wealth of info about runabout renovation, and is kind of a bible among boat restorers. It's been around since before the internet, but is still widely available from a number of sources, like Amazon.

Best of luck with the boat!

Frank

Re:Information on a 1965 14 ft Starcraft 13 years 9 months ago #12203

Thanks PC1000, I will get the book. I think I jumped in over my head. Not the first time though, lol.

john-gibson, A true test of craftsmanship. I showed my wife that pic and she loved it too. I would be like vuyosevich probably and be afraid to take her out. Then again, if you're like me with my old cars, whats the point of having without enjoying? I still say that it is a work of art though.

Re:Information on a Starcraft Jupiter 13 years 9 months ago #12212

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hilly7 does your dash look like this? And does your bow look like this?
Attachments:

Re:Information on a 1965 14 ft Starcraft 13 years 9 months ago #12225

boy thanks hilly and ron,hilly im so sorry it wasnt my intension to hijack your thread though.
see hilly i told you "delray"aks pete,would chime in,hes really into the starcrafts,and should be able to help you out.

---Mark Twain

Re:Information on a 1965 14 ft Starcraft 13 years 9 months ago #12232

DelRay no, my dash is on one side. Good looking boat there too. I took this picture of the back looking into it. It has the coolist horn I've seen on it. Works off air by drawing and pushing in a lever. There is also some holes drilled where something once was on top in a depression that is built in.

john-gibson - I think I hijacked the thread. I still keep looking at that boat. Dang that is a good looking boat.
Attachments:

Re:Information on a 1965 14 ft Starcraft 13 years 9 months ago #12235

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hilly7 Try looking in the Glassic Library. I think yours might be a 1964? The factory I.D. tag was mounted on the inside of the splashwell on the inside of the transome below the steering cable spring shown in the picture above. Hope this helps!!

Re:Information on a 1965 14 ft Starcraft 13 years 9 months ago #12247

Hey thanks. There is a sticker back there and it would stand to reason. The engine is a 64. I'll post back and tell you what it is. Thank you.

Re:Information on a 1965 14 ft Starcraft 13 years 9 months ago #12262

The sticker in the back said model is a 14 ft Siren. Have you ever heard of this one? I haven't seen anything up here right off bat?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)