Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trimmed out! (Finally)

Trimmed out! (Finally) 13 years 9 months ago #12035

Guess what made the difference? Dave Cummings told me to getting rid of the OMC 5/16 fuel connectors and go to 3/8 connectors and line. Got up to 4800 rpm on a 3 blade 19P aluminum prop going downstream in the Hudson River, but against an incoming tide. Trim tabs were off. Was by myself, but could not duplicate the run with my wife aboard. She's not much into WOT, so for the most part we took it easy. Still couldn't trim out at anything below that WOT run in the video without porpoising. We went about 20 miles all together on about 6 gallons of gas, but plowing water most the time. Thought I had left the gps at home, discovered it in the boat when we got back to the launch, so no mph stuff, but I was going faster than before, no question about it.

Next trip, a 17P prop, and trim tabs.

This is the closest I've gotten, and man o man, what a feeling for a minute or two! More to come.

Frank

Big test. Serious enough?

Getting ready for the run...

The run -

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Trimmed out! (Finally) 13 years 9 months ago #12036

Dam Frank it looks like your moving in that vidio and no popising.
Boy what are you going to do when you get that boat all dialed in?.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Trimmed out! (Finally) 13 years 9 months ago #12040

looks nice and smooth frank. whats your schedule after the weekend of aug.7-8. ron

Re:Trimmed out! (Finally) 13 years 9 months ago #12041

pathfinderz1 wrote:

Dam Frank it looks like your moving in that vidio and no popising.
Boy what are you going to do when you get that boat all dialed in?.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Have a beer!

Re:Trimmed out! (Finally) 13 years 9 months ago #12042

vuyosevich wrote:

looks nice and smooth frank. whats your schedule after the weekend of aug.7-8. ron

We have commitments the whole month of August on weekends Ron, but should be back from Atlantic City the 8th, maybe even the 7th. That following weekend is a bit loose right now, but we have old friends in Saratoga (NY) that will be visiting us, or we will be visiting them, or both! first weekend of September we're here, no commitments. Second weekend we hope to be at the ACBS show out in Buffalo. I hear they're looking for folks to bring their Custom Crafts...

Frank

Re:Trimmed out! (Finally) 13 years 9 months ago #12043

i'm open the first week in september, will be at tuckerton the 2nd weekend. open the rest of the month.

Re:Trimmed out! (Finally) 13 years 9 months ago #12045

Glad to see you made progress on your boat cant wait to see what the top speed will be
Charles

Re:Trimmed out! (Finally) 13 years 9 months ago #12051

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Nice run, Frank! Obviously more speed is the ticket to getting rid of the porpoising. Still more "up" trim than you should need, but getting closer. Might want to think about a setback plate over the winter. Moving the motor away from the leverage point makes trim more effective and responsive to small changes. Ideal trim is bow slightly up with motor at or slightly above level.

Re:Trimmed out! (Finally) 13 years 9 months ago #12064

Beautiful Frank. I have followed the saga of your resto from the very start and you must be very proud to have overcome all the obstacles that got you to the place you are today. Keep up the good work and enjoy your wonderful piece of boating history. Mike in Oregon.

Re:Trimmed out! (Finally) 13 years 9 months ago #12083

Thanks Charles, Kerry and Mike. It was an "Oh, what a feeling!" kind of brief ride last night. Now I need to replicate it. I still want to be able to go moderate speeds planing and can't seem to get there.

One of the things I didn't mention was how easy and fun this boat is to take other wakes. You kind of parallel them and they just roll under you at about any speed. Very cool!

Kerry, I've always driven boats with trim by feel. This was my first successful attempt, and I didn't know where the motor was till I saw the video Gail took. I'll be switching props and testing more and will keep y'all posted.

Frank

Re:Trimmed out! (Finally) 13 years 9 months ago #12085

F - Definately WAY better. Got the rooster tail going too. The way the boat presents itself at speed now is beautiful. Keep at it. We may need to come home for a day or two as my best friend had a stroke day before yesterday and is being a horse's ass in the hospital. Family may ask me to come and talk to him. If they do, I will. If I come home do you want to try that 23P 3 blader again? If you can spin that and keep the rpm up you'll be flying. It's useless on the Missile, just makes a lot of aerated water! B

Re:Trimmed out! (Finally) 13 years 9 months ago #12089

Gee B, 23P would drop my rpms way back wouldn't it? I'm putting on the 17P expecting to get to 5200.

If you're home Friday, wanna go for a spin about 5? Or Saturday?

F

Re:Trimmed out! (Finally) 13 years 9 months ago #12090

If we come it will be today, and back tomorrow. The best thing to do with a prop is not second guess it. Put in on and try it. If you can turn and keep the rpm up, you'll go a lot faster than a 17 or 19.

Re:Trimmed out! (Finally) 13 years 9 months ago #12092

Well, I'm not 2nd guessing it much B. Everything I read says a change of 2P down gains about 400 rpm. So the 17P 3 blade prop is on the boat ready for a test.

Guess you'll miss a boat ride this week. Not going out tonight, too windy probably.

I just finished shaping some wood blocks (mostly 3/4" marine plywood like I give you for the seat bases) to complete my gas tank stabilization project. I need some hardware, then when we get back today will finish it up. Also getting a quart of marine primer so I can finish the bench seat. Once my tanks are stabilized, the bench seat works much better.

Have a safe trip home.

F

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)