Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Please Help: 1963 Evinrude Big Twin Question

Please Help: 1963 Evinrude Big Twin Question 13 years 9 months ago #12007

I just bought a boat with a 1963 Evinrude Big Twin, but I can't figure out how to supply water to the engine to run it in my yard. The foot only has a place for oil, no screen or anything. The back of the moter has one large hole just below the motor top and two smaller holes below that. Please help. I figure their might be a special type of muff to use to provide water, but no one has been able to help me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Please Help: 1963 Evinrude Big Twin Question 13 years 9 months ago #12008

Garbage can or 55-gallon drum... Make sure it is filled up over the top face of the gearcase housing so the waterpump is submerged - they are not self-priming.

- Scott

Re: Please Help: 1963 Evinrude Big Twin Question 13 years 9 months ago #12009

Set the lower unit down in a large container of water that's deep enough to cover the cavitation plate. Garbage can... large storage bin - whiskey barrel liner - that sort of thing.

Re:Please Help: 1963 Evinrude Big Twin Question 13 years 9 months ago #12017

I have a 64 Johnson 40hp, which is somewhat equivalent to what you have. The water intake is on the front of the skeg under the cavitation plate. If you look in front you will see a screen. They did make an adapter, which I have, but it doesn't work very well. Tends not to get enough water into the motor and overheats. If I have any questions about where it has been, I go run the motor in a clean lake for about 1/2 hour or more. I did this yesterday because I ran the motor in brackish water (Mystic Seaport show) this weekend.

The 55 gallon drum is a pain in the butt (at best) if you have the motor mounted on the boat. I haven't seen a system for getting the motor in and out that doesn't involve a lot of gyrations. If someone has any idea, I'd love to hear them.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Please Help: 1963 Evinrude Big Twin Question 13 years 9 months ago #12034

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
If you can get your hands on a plastic 55 gal barrel, they're much easier to handle. Then put a drain valve in the bottom, to make it easier to "take down" when you're finished. (I used a drain valve from a large cooler, Coleman I think.) I tilt the motor up, slip the barrel over the gearcase, and lower it back down as an assembly. Fill the barrel and due your maintenance, tuning, whatever. When you're done open the valve to drain, and reverse the installation procedure. About as easy as it gets, IMHO

Mark

Re:Please Help: 1963 Evinrude Big Twin Question 13 years 9 months ago #12038

It helps to to lower the front of the trailer then rais the trailer up lever after you get the baroll under the motor.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)