Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Preping for paint......

Preping for paint...... 13 years 9 months ago #11852

I have cleaned the top, has a few, OK (alot) of fine cracks from years of neglect. I have wet sanded by hand, and need to know whats the next best step.

I still have cracks but does it need to go all the way down to the fiberglass? Or can I sand very well, then use a filler, sand then clean, wipe down? It should be ready for paint then. Right?

I am just preparing to enjoy the labor, as I can visualize this Wellcraft in the water.

Thanks for any advice.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Preping for paint...... 13 years 9 months ago #11854

You will have to grind the cracks down to the fiberglass with a gringer or a dremal tool. Then lay a little fiberglass resin/mat in the grooves and smooth them out and prime before sanding. If you putty over the cracks they will come right back as the boat flexes on the water. It's a time consuming job and a lot of effort, especially if the boat is loaded with cracks, so make sure it's a boat you really want. lol

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Preping for paint...... 13 years 9 months ago #11866

What Doug said is so. If you don't grind the cracks - which are in the gelcoat - down to the top of the resin/mat that's below the gelcoat they'll just come right back.

Another thing you can do is sand the gelcoat down to remove any soft spots or loose material, then apply a layer of thin cloth - 1.5 oz for example - over the top of it. You then sand the rough spots off that layer of fiberglass and resin - apply filler primer to bring up the level and cover the new cloth - then fair and paint.
That pretty much eliminates the chance of cracks re-appearing anytime soon.

Here's an excellent tutorial on painting and prep
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/main-forum/boat-painting-tutorial-pt-1

The staff is working on placing this valuable information in an easily accessable spot but that's not finished as of yet.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)