• Page:

TOPIC: How do you hang your boats????

How do you hang your boats???? 13 years 9 months ago #11654

• gdanderson
  • gdanderson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I have moved my boat rebuilding shop about 10 miles closer to home. Going from 1600 sq/ft. to 1200 sq/ft. With six boats to winter 1200 sq/ft. could get a little small. To maximize my space usage I installed a system of wood beams supported by 4" steel posts to hang up to four boats. The beams came out of a building built in 1875. The longest 10" X 10" Douglas Fur beam was 36-ft. long with the end grain not showing the heart wood. I figure up to four 10" X 10" X 36' beams came from that one tree. All boats are about 6'6" off the floor. I have enjoyed scratching my head figuring this one out. Boats are lifted into place with our Bobcat with fork extensions. Everything is hung with 3/8" chain connected to 2" X 2" X 1/4" steel tube. Great location, heated and air conditioned, a lot of fun and helpful neighbors when you don't have that special tool.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
10' X 10' garage door with man door entrance.
Have two of the four hanging already. Although they will come back down as the boating season is not over yet!!
Note the 10" X 10" Douglas Fur beam with chain holding boat.
4" steel post with cross beam and main beam. With Homelite Motor hanging from "I" hook (One of five motors hanging from the beams)
Another shop of hanging boats.
Steel post with cross beam and motor.
4" steel beam bolted to the floor. All steel beams have been tied into something at the top also so the whole thing can't fall over.
Hanging boats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:How do hang your boats???? 13 years 9 months ago #11655

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Very nice shop and well set up Greg, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's envious. "Climate control" would be super slick right about now! (Around 100 heat factor in Atlanta today, and I know all too well how the winters are up there in Badger country too.)

Mark

Re:How do hang your boats???? 13 years 9 months ago #11657

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
That is one of the coolest ideas I have seen lately... Well thought out. Safety is NUMBER ONE!!!!!!! That idea has crossed my mind but I dont have the height or a lift but you actually did it, too cool. What I think I will do however is mount my motors up high like that. Nice inspiration, Mike

PS great thinking plus you can work on your trailer if need be... :cheer:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)