Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another "Hey! What do call this thing?!?" thread..

Another "Hey! What do call this thing?!?" thread.. 13 years 9 months ago #11601

Ok, it is about 17ish feet long.

It is really really blue.

It has an inline six cylinder engine with markings that appear to identify it as a 165 hp Mercruiser.

I think the term is tri-v hull?

It has an open bow with a hinged windshield so you can walk through.

It has absolutely no markings, badges, or identification plates that I can save for two: The word "Quicksilver" on the dashboard and the word "Wideguide" in the center of the steering wheel.

Two things you need to know about me, everything I know about boats I gathered from Google in the last 48 hours, and the Big Blue Mystery Boat is suddenly all mine. :)

So any help I can get from anyone would be most welcome.

www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2041919&id=1301492052&l=68c54d9ea9

That link should work to get you to the public photo album i set up with Facebook, if not I will throw a couple of photos in replies to this posting.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Another "Hey! What do call this thing?!?" thread.. 13 years 9 months ago #11602

The external link to the phot album seems to be working. If it is not working for anyone let me know and I will have another go at adding the files here in the thread.

I have been in the IT business for many years but I have never quite gotten the hang of message boards.

Richard.

Re:Another "Hey! What do call this thing?!?" thread.. 13 years 9 months ago #11603

I'm not sure what the manufacturer is, but someone will recognize it.

That is a Tri Hull design.

That hardware will not help you with the boat manufacturer, as most manufacturers bought the hardware from generic vendors.

Your steering wheel and steering box in this case was manufacured by Mercury marine under then brand name Quicksilver, model name Rideguide.

Thats an early Mercury outdrive, and by the sounds of it the motor is also branded by Mercury, the Mercruiser.

You have a big project ahead of you. Good luck!

Re:Another "Hey! What do call this thing?!?" thread.. 13 years 9 months ago #11631

A couple of things you might try to ID your boat: Go to what ever state or county agency that registers boats, in that state, with the registration numbers, and for a fee of course, they will give you, make, model, year, and last registered owner, unless is it has not been registered for so long, that it is out of their system.

Mercury uses serial numbers to ID model year. Go to: www.marineengine.com/mfr/mercury_ models.html
This should bring up Mercury Outboard Serial Number Guide from Marineengine.com.
Get your serial number and check it with the chart. The numbers on the chart are starting numbers for that year. Look for the number that is before your number. The chart has instructions.
Good luck. old darb

Re:Another "Hey! What do call this thing?!?" thread.. 13 years 9 months ago #11633

Looks like a 1970s boat. Is there not a 12 character VIN on the outside of the transom, upper right corner?

Yup, go find out what the state says she is by using the registration code.

Maybe a SlickCraft?

Andreas

Re:Another "Hey! What do call this thing?!?" thread.. 13 years 9 months ago #11637

I have scoured the entire outside of that boat, special focus on the transome, with no luck. I have searched everywhere I could on the inside also with no luck. There are no markings or badges or random numbers etched into it anywhere. Tonight or tomorrow I am pulling the seats, benches, and all of the carpeting out. iam also going to bug bomb the heck out of it to make it a little more hospitable environment. Then I will re-check the interior of the boat for badges, labels, or numbers carved/etched into it.

I also have a potential line on the previous owner. He apparantly has reloated to the west coast. I am trying to contact him. Waiting for a return call as we speak.

Thanks again for your responses too. Everything I hear is helpful.

Richard.

Re:Another "Hey! What do call this thing?!?" thread.. 13 years 9 months ago #11646

Your pictures show the registration numbers. I don't what state, provance, MC or JE represents, but it's a code for some place. It might even be on the sticker to the side of the code.
You have a Merc. I/O. Both the engine and out drive have metal tags on them with ser.#'s stamped into them. It might even be on the tag that you can see in the picture of the out drive. You can get the year from the ser. #.
Good luck. old darb

Re:Another "Hey! What do call this thing?!?" thread.. 13 years 9 months ago #11660

Ok, I spent this evening tearing out anything I could. Pics will show you that the seats, carpet, panels, everything are gone from the interior. Take a look at the photo album to see the bonus. I found the BIA Certificate plate.

Looks like I am the owner of a 19?? Arrow Glass Cheetah I/O made in Memphis, Tennesee. I even have a serial number. Now, I would love to get verification, or narrow down the year, but google is being quite stubborn. Anyone have any random pics off 70's era tri-hull Arrow Glass boats?

Here is a link back to my photo album. I have taken tons of pics, not all are posted. If anyone wants to see differant angles or closer shots of anything, please let me know. I will gladly post up anything i can.

www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2041919&id=1301492052&l=68c54d9ea9

Thanks again,
Richard.

Re:Another "Hey! What do call this thing?!?" thread.. 13 years 9 months ago #11676

the boat was last registered in Michigan. They might have info but it isn't always right. Great starting point however.

Re:Another "Hey! What do call this thing?!?" thread.. 13 years 9 months ago #11680

Great news! If she does not have the US Coast Guard 12 character hull ID/VIN on the outside of the transom, that would put the boat being built prior to November 1972.

Stylistically, the blue hul, hull shape, windsheild say to me early 1970s or very late 1960s.

Andreas

Re:Another "Hey! What do call this thing?!?" thread.. 13 years 9 months ago #11682

I have seen photos of the 1975 model and the 1970 model Cheetah. They look the same to me. I am trying to find somewhere to look up the serial number, but so far I am having no luck. Any thoughts on a resource for looking up Arrow Glass serial numbers?

Also, you say before November of 1972 there was no HIN? Interesting. That might help narrow it down a little.

Thanks again,
Richard

Re:Another "Hey! What do call this thing?!?" thread.. 13 years 9 months ago #11690

Got it!

Just made contact (finally) with the previous owner. He said it is a 1974 Arrow Glass Cheetah.

The bonus: He told me the engine has a cracked block, but he also told me where the replacement engine is being stored and informed me that it is also mine, I just need to go get it.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help,
Richard.

Re:Another "Hey! What do call this thing?!?" thread.. 13 years 9 months ago #11697

One important suggestion - don't throw out any of those old panels or parts. You'll want them as templates when you get to that stage of the project.

Re:Another "Hey! What do call this thing?!?" thread.. 13 years 9 months ago #11707

The project just hit the first major stumbling block. The engine I was assured would be available is gone. No clue where it would have gone to, but it is not where I was told it would be and the previous owner is out of ideas.

I am going to start a new thread so I can bug all you fine folks about my options for engines. :)

Re:Another "Hey! What do call this thing?!?" thread.. 13 years 9 months ago #11764

Welcome to the world of, What have I got, and WHY!
old darb

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)