• Page:

TOPIC: Best $100 for tools I ever spent

Best $100 for tools I ever spent 13 years 9 months ago #11581

• tyeechaser
  • tyeechaser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
After reading Jamils excellent article, I ordered a set of durablock sanding blocks and two rolls of paper. 80 grit and 220 grit. I just ordered a roll of 150 to fill in the middle.
They are fantastic!!! Using my pea brain to figure this out I assumed I could take a flat board, glue some foam and sandpaper to it and go to it. Wrong!! These things are magic. I thought I was pretty fair with my air file. Wrong again. Using the method suggested by Jamil, sanding the long way and overlaping I achieved a nearly perfectly fair surface. I'm convinced this is the way to go. I don't drink alcohol or smoke cigs or cigars so with the money I saved from that I'm in boat sanding heaven!! (However, just got out of the hospital for a total thyroidectomy and still a bit slow. Didn't stop my from grinding away a little bit today. As I said, 71 yrs old and no adult supervision in my head) I'll post more as I progress. Mike
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Best $100 for tools I ever spent 13 years 9 months ago #11582

I've been using Dura-Blocks for some time and concur - they're great!

Re: Best $100 for tools I ever spent 13 years 9 months ago #11610

• kajun
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
ok ya sold me on it..i just bought a 6 piece set on ebay for $42.....do you have to use the dura block rolls of sand paper or can you just buy any brand of roll?

Re: Best $100 for tools I ever spent 13 years 9 months ago #11613

• tyeechaser
  • tyeechaser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
any brand will work but dura is very strong and last a long time. Usually $25 or so per roll. 3-M is supposed to be good also. That's about all I know. I'm impressed with the dura. Mike

Re: Best $100 for tools I ever spent 13 years 9 months ago #11636

I haven't used the Dura brand but I LOVE the 3M stuff on roles. I switched from using the hobby grade stuff you pick up at Napa or Home Depot places to the stuff that professionals use sold through the local Westco auto body store and the difference is amazing.

The 3M sand paper lasts so much longer before breaking down or plugging up that I'm sure I'm saving money in the long run. I'm frugle by nature but I will never buy the value brand stuff again.

Best of luck on your project,
Eric Q.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)