Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: ACBS show Hammondsport NY

ACBS show Hammondsport NY 13 years 9 months ago #11472

Over the last couple years, I've had the pleasure of meeting Terry and Rosemary Holland at our Silver Lake get-togethers. Terry had emailed me a program for their Wine Country Classic Boats chapter of ACBS before Silver Lake, then talked to us when we were there in June. As current president of the chapter, Terry is on a mission to bring classic fiberglass boats into their local ACBS chapter. To make a long story short, Gail and I decided to go over. And boy, am I ever glad we did!

We had a great time. The registration fee is only 15 bucks, and you can have your boat be be judged or not. There are plenty of options, like 20 bucks for a dock for the meet, 30 bucks/head for Saturday night dinner, and some other stuff. And you don't have to be an ACBS member to play.

Whenever they were announcing anything, they focused on the few classic 'glass boats that were there, and their interest in bringing more of us in. (There were some really slick classic glass boats there - pics soon!) Next year their theme is going to be classic glass, and there's no question Gail and I will be back for the show. In fact, we may rent a cottage on the lake that week. Soon as I get the dates I'll post them here and keep everyone aware of what's happening. I sure would like to see more of us attend.

There were folks there from FL, OH, CT, MA, and VT with classic wood stuff that attend this show year after year because they say it's the best one around. A guy we sat with at dinner Saturday night had a beautiful wood runabout, and lives 10 miles from Harvey Lake in PA. He doesn't go to that show because "they're a snooty bunch."

We got all kinds of great comments on the Power Cat, especially from teenage boys. We were tied up at dock, but not in deep enough water to put the motor down. Of all the folks I met there, the most interesting and fun guy to talk with was Bob Walwork, the man behind Raveau boats. Right now it's the only pics I have, so I'll post them here. Bob was a test driver for Merc back in the early 60's and drove Power Cats (among other boats) with Mercs around Lake X 8 hours a day for three years before moving on to newer and better things. He regaled me with stories of racing Power Cats and losing to one driven by his brother that was the same year and model as our boat. He also gave me a hand with my old Merc.

I need to get to work. I'll work on some pics tonight, but for now, here's Bob's Raveau...

Frank

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:ACBS show Hammondsport NY 13 years 9 months ago #11492

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

drove Power Cats (among other boats) with Mercs around Lake X 8 hours a day for three years before moving on to newer and better things.

Quandry = I'm trying to figure out what could possibly be a better way to make a living!!! (And who better to run across to help you with a Merc on a PC, man you're livin' RIGHT) Just kidding Frank, thanks for the report. Sounds like a very interesting and enjoyable time, we'll look forward to seeing the pics.

Mark

Re:ACBS show Hammondsport NY 13 years 9 months ago #11505

Bob apparently took the regatta trophy yesterday with his Raveau (pictured above). This is him in a Power Cat many, many moons ago...

Attachments:

Re:ACBS show Hammondsport NY 13 years 9 months ago #11507

MarkS wrote:

drove Power Cats (among other boats) with Mercs around Lake X 8 hours a day for three years before moving on to newer and better things.

Quandry = I'm trying to figure out what could possibly be a better way to make a living!!! (And who better to run across to help you with a Merc on a PC, man you're livin' RIGHT) Just kidding Frank, thanks for the report. Sounds like a very interesting and enjoyable time, we'll look forward to seeing the pics.

I'd like to know how much of a living it was. What kind of money did those guys make? That he did it for 3 years says that it must have paid reasonably well compared to other pursuits...but it'd be interesting to know what they did make.

Re:ACBS show Hammondsport NY 13 years 9 months ago #11511

PC1000 wrote:

Bob apparently took the regatta trophy yesterday with his Raveau (pictured above). This is him in a Power Cat many, many moons ago...

Gee Frank, That's just how I pictured you once you get the motor dialed in. :laugh:

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:ACBS show Hammondsport NY 13 years 9 months ago #11519

Heck Dave, that's how it works now. I'm trying to fix it! :laugh:

Frank

Pics from ACBS Hammondsport NY last weekend 13 years 9 months ago #11556

Here ya go folks...

Norm's Devil Ray

Glastron Carlson, unrestored barn find

Beautiful yellow & white boat

Power Cat at dock

Re:ACBS show Hammondsport NY 13 years 9 months ago #11564

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Looks like there were some nice boats there. How big of a show was it? Guestimate of # of woodies, and # of glassics? Glad to hear they are friendly to new guys.

Slight thread jack: As for "A guy ... lives 10 miles from Harvey Lake in PA. He doesn't go to that show because "they're a snooty bunch."" I kinda felt that way the first time I took the lummie there, but there are only a few, and most of the folks there are regular guys that are very friendly and accomodating. As for Bill Nash, [runs the H.L. show], I can call him on the phone today, and he'd remember me and my boat instantly.

Re:ACBS show Hammondsport NY 13 years 9 months ago #11565

Those are the pics of the glassics Jim. There were a LOT of wood boats there, maybe 40 or 50.

Frank

Re:ACBS show Hammondsport NY 13 years 9 months ago #11571

jim bart wrote:

Looks like there were some nice boats there. How big of a show was it? Guestimate of # of woodies, and # of glassics? Glad to hear they are friendly to new guys.

Slight thread jack: As for "A guy ... lives 10 miles from Harvey Lake in PA. He doesn't go to that show because "they're a snooty bunch."" I kinda felt that way the first time I took the lummie there, but there are only a few, and most of the folks there are regular guys that are very friendly and accomodating. As for Bill Nash, [runs the H.L. show], I can call him on the phone today, and he'd remember me and my boat instantly.

Slight high-jack part two: There will always be those is the wood boat crowd that are a little snooty, the key is that the people in charge have the right attitude. That along with the Glassics people having the right attitude and all will come around eventually.

Dave in sunny Buffalo

One more glassic 13 years 9 months ago #11572

Sorry for the "dusk" shot...

Nicely restored Switzer running a '62 Merc 1000, and boy, would she ever run!

Attachments:

Re:ACBS show Hammondsport NY 13 years 9 months ago #11578

jim bart wrote:

i feel the same way about Bill Nash..a top notch guy. the year my trailer broke down i was over an hour past-due for registering. he could of very easily said sorry ron......looking forward to seeing him in a few weeks. ron
Attachments:

Re:One more glassic 13 years 9 months ago #11579

PC1000 wrote:

Sorry for the "dusk" shot...

Nicely restored Switzer running a '62 Merc 1000, and boy, would she ever run!

Love to see some more pics/info on the Switzer.

Is it local?

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Re:ACBS show Hammondsport NY 13 years 9 months ago #11583

Don't know. Dunked my camera in Keuka Lake, only got a few pics.

Frank

Re:One more glassic 13 years 9 months ago #11621

cc1000 wrote:

Love to see some more pics/info on the Switzer.

Is it local?

Fayetteville, NY

Re:ACBS show Hammondsport NY 13 years 9 months ago #11627

Ooops, my mistake. The Switzer is a wood boat, not a glassic. It's a '62 15 1/2' Switzer Craft Shooting Star. It was designed to be raced in OPC class, an outboard production-class boat the public could purchase, able to seat at least 4. Only 30 Shooting Stars were built in '62 and '63. These guys told me Bob Switzer helped them with the restoration, and allowed them to use the fin and his racing #. Bob set the OPC class record in '62 with this boat going 73.48 mph.

Frank

ACBS show in Hammondsport NY 2011 13 years 9 months ago #11630

Wine Country Classic Boats has their chapter's ACBS show the same weekend every July - 3rd. Next year it's the weekend of the 16th and 17th. Their focus is going to be on classic glass, so I sure hope we can get more FG'ers to attend! Any questions, please let me know.

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)