Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: It's True, You Can Come Home Again...

It's True, You Can Come Home Again... 13 years 9 months ago #11044

• Beachboy
  • Beachboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have come full circle and returned to my beginings. After trying unsuccessfully to find the "perfect boat" for many years, I now realize that I had already found it.

A buddy of mine (Bill Roberts founder of the Classic Skagit Club, ) called me up and said "Hey Doug, you're never going to beleive this, but I've found a once-in-a-lifetime Skagit that may be available, and I really think you should take a look at. Jerry Smith, the owner of this 1958 Skagit was one of the original managers of Skagit Plastics back in the late 50's and he's got a REAL nice one. His health is failing and he wants to sell it to someone who will appreciate what he has."

So I got Jerry's contact information and gave him a call. I told him the sad story about how several years ago my fully restored blue and white 1957 Skagit 20' Express "3Ds" had been stolen from my driveway, piliged, and abandoned on the side of the road. It broke my heart to look at it each morning, so I sold it to someone who had the desire and means to restore her to her once fantastic condition. He did this (and more), and I felt great about it, but my family and I have always missed her.

Jerry said "Ya, I think you are the right guy for my boat. Come on up and take a look at her. She's not perfect, but she's in pretty good shape, and I think you'll appreciate that". She's been sitting in my barn for about 10 years now.

WOW! Talk about a score! This 1958 20' Express Cruiser was well taken care of. She was dusty and needed a good washing, but the full canvas kept her interior squeaky clean. Through the barn dust I could see the original gelcoat, which was in remakable condition (just polish and wax).

Everyone agrees the factory colors are unique (red and gray), and must have been a custom order. This is even more likely when you consider it has all the OEM options including the factory hardtop. She still has the original split GLASS windshield. The badges and deck hardware are pitted and need replacing, but overall she's in remarkable condition!

Well she's home now, and getting re-outfiited for use. That's the thing about my Skagits, they do get used... a lot.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: It's True, You Can Come Home Again... 13 years 9 months ago #11045

What a great find - and story - congratulations - she's beautiful!

Peter
Skagits are few and far between
in Denver

Re:It's True, You Can Come Home Again... 13 years 9 months ago #11047

I was with Doug when he went to look at his Skagit. Jerry told a neat story. He said he was at the factory and saw a red and gray Skagit leaving the plant and thought the colors were really ugly and that they made just one with that color combo. Years later when he was looking for a Skagit that met his high standards he found this same red and grey Skagit and learned to like the colors. Clint :lol:

Re:It's True, You Can Come Home Again... 13 years 9 months ago #11092

• Beachboy
  • Beachboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Don't tell people that part of the story Clint... Now everyone's going to think I've got an ugly duckling.

IMHO I think Jerry got it wrong.

I've got a red, gray & black Power Cat, and now I have a red, gray & white Skagit. Clearly I'm partial to red and gray. :)

I say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I'll surely be holding on to her.

Skagitman

Re:It's True, You Can Come Home Again... 13 years 9 months ago #11093

Never seen one with the hard top...i like that!!

While i cant say im overly fond of the gray, it doesnt look bad! Im a sucker for a red boat though... ;)

Re:It's True, You Can Come Home Again... 13 years 9 months ago #11098

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Neat story, and Great old Skagit Doug! Please post some more pics and some of the interior when you get a chance.

Mark

Re:It's True, You Can Come Home Again... 13 years 9 months ago #11102

Doug - Many of us were incensed and heartbroken at the senseless carnage done to your boat in order to steal your motors. Glad you've got another. I'd put land mines around this one, and only give the map to your family. She's a beauty.

Brian

Re:It's True, You Can Come Home Again... 13 years 9 months ago #11106

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Man what would I give for one of those! What a great story ( sorry about the loss I had a 69 chevell stolen and striped thought I was gonna die lol) and a GREAT find! Good luck with her and we need more pics.
Pete

Re:It's True, You Can Come Home Again... 13 years 9 months ago #11116

Didn't mean to imply that it was ugly duckling. Everyone who has seen the boat think the red and gray is really neat and unique. I personally really like it and prefer it over red and white. Clint

Re:It's True, You Can Come Home Again... 13 years 9 months ago #11118

• webmaster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Nice job... and welcome back.

Mine will get there someday. My boat projects are on hold for this year.

Kelly

Here's my 1957 Skagit, 20 footer.

Attachments:

Re:It's True, You Can Come Home Again... 13 years 9 months ago #11168

• billr
Some more pics of Doug's new Skaj taken by Bruce and/or Rick and/or me and/or Clint etc.

Also some pics of Clint's '57 Skagit 17 Express powered by 140hp Merc and 7.8hp Merc

Also pics of Rick's '57 Skagit 17 Convertible powered by one of my Bearcat 55hp 4 strokes.

We made an event out of Doug picking up his 20. The former Parts Mgr for Skagit Plastics Boat Division owned this boat. I had found it for him several years back, and he put her in his barn, only used her a couple times. You should see under the splashwell, the plywood on transom face and underside of splashwell is completely clear and clean. It looks like it just came out of the woodshop, you could literally varnish it today.
Not many like this.
Skagit Fever is back.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)