Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Skiing behind a Herter's Quebec

Skiing behind a Herter's Quebec 13 years 9 months ago #11039

My kids have asked me to pull them behind my Herter's Quebec. My question is how to install the tow bridle. There is a hole in the top of my corner transom caps. I am thinking that those holes may have been used for a purpose such as this some time in the past. However, I am not sure if this would be a good idea (verticle holes, with eye bolts, then having the pressure/stress applied at a 90 degree angle). Another option is to install eye bolts thru the transom in the area with the aluminum reinforcing behind it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Skiing behind a Herter's Quebec 13 years 9 months ago #11104

Anyone???

Re:Skiing behind a Herter's Quebec 13 years 9 months ago #11105

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Steve, I'm not that familiar with your Herter's, an you post some pics of the corner caps? It would depend on how sturdy they are, as well as the mounting and surrounding structure. Towing a skier or tube would put a good bit of lateral force on the area, but it may be sufficient to handle it. (Sounds like the p/o may have done just that!)

Mark

Re:Skiing behind a Herter's Quebec 13 years 9 months ago #11115

MarkS wrote:

Steve, I'm not that familiar with your Herter's, an you post some pics of the corner caps? It would depend on how sturdy they are, as well as the mounting and surrounding structure. Towing a skier or tube would put a good bit of lateral force on the area, but it may be sufficient to handle it. (Sounds like the p/o may have done just that!)

Mark,
Will do on the pics.

Had another thought. Instead of using the holes in the top of the transom caps, I am thinking of removing one of the bolts that bolt through the side of the cap, through the transom and through the 3/4" thick aluminum reinforcing plate behind the transom and replace it with a stainless eyebolt with a nut and washer on either side of the transom. Will see if I can find pictures of that too. If I can't find them, I will take some tonight.

*edit* Found some pics on my PC of what I am talking about...
Attachments:

Re:Skiing behind a Herter's Quebec 13 years 9 months ago #11130

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

Had another thought. Instead of using the holes in the top of the transom caps, I am thinking of removing one of the bolts that bolt through the side of the cap, through the transom and through the 3/4" thick aluminum reinforcing plate behind the transom and replace it with a stainless eyebolt with a nut and washer on either side of the transom.

Sounds like a much better idea to me, at least the pulling torque would be horizontal.

Mark

Re:Skiing behind a Herter's Quebec 13 years 9 months ago #11136

I vote with Mark.

Frank

Re:Skiing behind a Herter's Quebec 13 years 9 months ago #11172

I also agree.Using the holes at the back of the transom, and through the aluminum transom plate is the only way I would try it.
Here are some pictures of my Herter's Hudson Bay. These should look familiar to you.
Attachments:

Re:Skiing behind a Herter's Quebec 13 years 9 months ago #11189

Thanks Matt. That is one CLEAN Hudson Bay. Looks great. I didn't know they had a flat floor. The Quebec has a recessed channel in the floor where the keeel bolts through. Great pictures.

Re:Skiing behind a Herter's Quebec 13 years 9 months ago #11333

Took the boat out last night and by GPS we were running 27.7 with the current, 25.3 against it.

1953 Herter's Quebec w/ 2002 Yamaha 25HP 4-stroke.

Few minor interior modifications to re-do. Have to re-do the front platform to fit a trolling motor on it. Put cleats on the floor to keep gas tank from sliding around. Install rod holders.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)