Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Paint question

Paint question 13 years 9 months ago #10971

The bottom of my Club Lido somebody had painted red. Thought I could sand it all off but not so. So what would be the best primer so the red won't bleed through. I will be painting the bottom white it has to seal the red out.
Thanks
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Paint question 13 years 9 months ago #10982

Mike,

Is the red paint flat looking and sort of a rusty red color? Sounds like someone may have painted your boat with an anti-fouling "bottom coat" The stuff is like steel. I don't believe bleed through is going to be a problem if you are using good quality paint and apply a couple of coats. "Shiners" are usually caused by incompatible paints that allow paint solids to migrate through to the outside. Primer probably isn't needed in this situation. If it were mine, I'd sand up the bottom coat & paint right over it. As long as your overcoat paint is compatible, it should be fine. You may want to test a little inch by inch section to see how well it adheres.

Re:Paint question 13 years 9 months ago #10993

Can't do a test with the paint. I'm use Interlux bottom 2 part paint. I think the paint on it was house paint.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Paint question 13 years 9 months ago #10995

What are you trying to sand it off with?

There was a thread on GSG a month or two ago about a restoration shop in Bakersfield using aircraft stripper to remove old paint off of fiberglass...but they recommended doing it in small, manageable sections at a time and keep a close eye on it because it would strip the gel coat and start eating the fiber glass if you left it on too long! Could be an option though if sanding proves ineffective.

Might be overkill, but personally, id want it down to the old gel coat before i started painting...especially if it was a really contrasting color underneath. Put a scratch in that new white paint and youll have red streaks! :S Not to mention, suck up more primer and paint trying to cover it.

Re:Paint question 13 years 9 months ago #10996

The red had filled in all the scrachs void so the sanding is making for a smooth finsh. The last time I used paint striper and it was the orange kind it stil eat into the gel coat or it didn't remove and paint at all. I have had the Intrelux paint on my other boat for 3 years not and nothing has scrached it so far.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Paint question 13 years 9 months ago #11009

my boat was latex and bottom coat found that I had to get both sanded completly because the previous owner did poor prep work that would not let me get good mechanical adhesion for my fillers and primer

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)