• Page:

TOPIC: What year Tomahawk

What year Tomahawk 13 years 9 months ago #10828

• jtill88
  • jtill88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
My grandfather passed away last december and left me his tomahawk boat. I have researched some but cant find a definite year. I think it might be a 62? The decal on the side says "subsidiary of harley- davidson". In the boat library an article says they made these boats for 1 year and with that info harley bought them in 60 but closed shop in 65. Any help will be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What year Tomahawk 13 years 9 months ago #10830

I don't know the answer to your question, but I can tell you -that is one sharp boat!! It looks perfect....I hope it brings back great memories of your grandfather for you...Enjoy!

Re:What year Tomahawk 13 years 9 months ago #10831

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Man, what a fine old Tomahawk! Looks to be all original, and very well cared for. A tribute to your Grandfather, if you will. (Awesome that you have a treasured keepsake of his to remember him by. My condolences, BTW.) We have some very knowledgeable "historians" around here, and even a few Tomahawk fans. Hopefully someone will be able to help with your question. Welcome to FG, and hope to see some pics of your prize out on the water soon.

Mark

Re:What year Tomahawk 13 years 9 months ago #10841

Nice boat and welcome aboard!

The information in the Library about Tomahawk being purchased by Harley Davidson in 1960 is incorrect.

Harley Davidson Motor Co. purchased 51% of Tomahawk Boat Mfg. Co. on 28 February 1962. Franklin Winter remained as president. I assume he and his parents and sister and maybe his brother-in-law Fritz Dreger still owned stock.

About February 1963 Harley Davidson purchased the remaining stock and gained full control of Tomahawk Boat. Franklin Winter resigned as president on 20 February 1963.

Boat production ceased on 01 July 1965 and Harley had a liquidation auction of all the boat assets on 22 September 1965. This included all the molds and tooling for the boats. I wonder who bought all that stuff?

Andreas

Re:What year Tomahawk 13 years 9 months ago #10856

• jtill88
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks, getting the timeline correct is helpfull.

Re:What year Tomahawk 13 years 9 months ago #10858

• jtill88
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you. It is all original but has not seen the water since 1983. We used to take a ride with my granparents every year as a child then it sat for a few years. We tried to take it out the summer of 83 but it would not stay running so he put it back in the garage, winterized it and never touched it again. I got it to run somewhat but it needs a true mechanic, the carbs and fuel pump are perfect with no varnish inside, could not believe it, the boat looks like the day we put it away. I am so exited to get it back in the water and take my daughter for a ride like I once enjoyed.

Re:What year Tomahawk 13 years 9 months ago #11021

Andreas,

Can you check out my page? I have a 1963 Tomahawk that I am in the process of restoring. Do these hold good value due to the Harley Davidson association? Mine is no where near as nice as jtill88 but I got it at a steal. Trying to find the original windshield frame has been very difficult. "Still looking"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)