Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Great Penetrol Experience

Great Penetrol Experience 13 years 10 months ago #10301

First of all let me make a disclaimer. I have four kids...10months...4yrs...8yrs...11yrs... All this means hardly anytime for projects, hardly any money for projects. So all of you who have the time, money, and tools to do things the best way can ignore this post. I did what I could in the time I was allowed with funds I had.

Now what do I have? I have a 1966 Larson All American 120hp with (I know) electric stringer. But everything works perfect. Got the boat for $750. Transom solid...Floors solid...interior near mint! The bad...Some unexperienced somone sprayed the whole boat with auto paint or something because when I got it it looked like someone took a paint brush put on a pair of welding goggles and slapped away. They did such a good job that when the temperature climbed above 80 the paint got sticky and held dirt like I don't know what! Thus the good price! I think!

Here is what I did and the only thing that would take the paint off. 20 cans of wallmart carb cleaner took most of the paint off except a few spots but revealed a horribly faded and oxidized finish. As you can see below!

The red almost looked pinkish. I don't do Pink!
After getting all the nasty paint off I took 400wet dry and sanded the entire thing. After that 600 after that 800 after that 1000. I actually scrubbed too hard and put some pretty bad marks in the gelcoat as this is a first to me. After it was all done It looked shiny but still pinkish. I had no more time left to prepare the surface. After doing a ton of searches and realizing I had little time left little money left and eager to get on the water I decided to do the penetrol thing. Didn't use Marine penetrol just the regular stuff at home depot. Pulled the boat into my dads barn did a quick wipe down with acetone (quick). Smeared on a bunch of penetrol in three square foot sections at a time and wiped off immediately with old t shirts. Did the whole boat then immediately covered with tarp. By the way the weather was 95degrees and 80%humidity. Came back the next day and smeared on more penetrol and wiped off immediately. each time looked better and better. Came back The next day and put a coat of Megauires gold class carnuba wax ( the stuff you find in Wallmart for automobiles). I couldn't believe the results see for your self....

From two feet away in the shade you can see the bad swirl marks from sanding too hard with 400. In the sun it strangely disappears. Can't see the scratches in the sun. Anyway I am more than pleased. One thing I would do different is not push so hard with the 400 wet dry and also use some higher rated UV wax. My boat is covered all the time when not in use and sits on a trailer. For those of you on a budget this might be your ticket!

Remember it's not perfect but looks awsome for a 44yr old boat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Great Penetrol Experience 13 years 10 months ago #10304

welcome to the site,the boat looks great.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re: Great Penetrol Experience 13 years 10 months ago #10305

It does look good! Some day if you care to you can repaint it - till then you're good to go!

Re:Great Penetrol Experience 13 years 10 months ago #10308

nice job, your hard work payed off.

Re:Great Penetrol Experience 13 years 10 months ago #10347

That realy looks great. What is penetrol?
old darb

Re:Great Penetrol Experience 13 years 10 months ago #10351

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
K: Welcome, CONGRATS, on a nifty boats & a shiny one for family outings. .I kept waiting for the varnish part of the story ,? As I used PENETROL in the past as a dilute apply for varnish depth of coverage. . Some wood restore people will say to dilute varnish 50 % for the 1st coat , then about 25% 2nd coat, maybe 10 % for 3rd coat . . Idea it sort of soaks in deeper to stain , wood (?)

.Guess we all learned another trick of the trade . What city you live in .?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)